The What And Why Of Blogs...

jandafields

Blogs are very popular, I have heard. However, I've never been involved with "blogging" before, and would like some information from people who use it.

Basically, what is it? Why do you need it? What does it have to do with RSS newsfeeds?

I'm worried that I may be missing out on something I can't live without! :eek:

That's just too vague a question nowadays. If you google what is a blog you'll get a ton of responses.

For me? It's just an outlet, a way to share my life with friends, family, strangers, and to make new friends. It's a hobby and something fun.

For others, especially political blogs, it may be a way to spread a message and/or gain a following.

The same as any other media now, really.

As far as RSS: Because a blog is based on "entries" onto a site, RSS can be used to send those entries to a news aggregator so that people don't have to go to each site to check up on it - the artilcles, as they were, are sent to the reader. It's a convenience for readership.

For me it's a way to VENT!  :lol2:

That's definitely part of it for me, but there is more to it than just venting when it comes to my blog. I'd say it's 20% vanity, 30% catharsis, and 50% community.

I started out just ranting and venting about things, but it's evolved and changed over the years. Now I write a little bit about everything.

Blogging is also very community oriented; I have quite a few blogs I read everyday, and have made some real friends through blogging.

Feel free to check out my blog over at Typepad, which is moving over here soon.

I have a pretty extensive blogroll (links column) with some real quality bloggers that are worth perusing as well.

I have a blog but it's only read by two people (the intended audience). I'm using it as a diary of sorts for a specific subject. I want a little bit of history for when what I am currently going through is all over so I can look back and feel really good. :)

That's definitely part of it for me, but there is more to it than just venting when it comes to my blog. I'd say it's 20% vanity, 30% catharsis, and 50% community.

I started out just ranting and venting about things, but it's evolved and changed over the years. Now I write a little bit about everything.

Blogging is also very community oriented; I have quite a few blogs I read everyday, and have made some real friends through blogging.

Yes, maybe I should have said more. It started as a way to vent but I've grown and also blog about things that interest me. I still toss a rant in there every now and then. :)

I still toss a rant in there every now and then.  :thumbup1:

:dance:

Right on, me too. I found that my readership went up quite a bit after I stopped getting all Maddox on everything though.

But every now and again something gets under my skin enough and it's nice to have my blog to let it out.

One of the other things I like about my blog is that it's a place where anyone can catch up with me... recently a friend from high school found me via my blog. Totally random.

I have a blog that is just a daily journal/way of keeping in touch with friends and family. Bruce and Bunni are the ones who got me started early this year. :thumbup1: Then two cousins, an aunt, and my mom all started blogging because they enjoyed mine so much. :dance:

I'm also starting a second blog (still tweaking the template) to journal areas in my life that I am trying to improve (diet, spiritual, etc.). I will probably only give this link out to a few people as it will contain more private information. (Yes, I've already added it to my .htaccess file to keep bots from picking it up - one of the many things I've learned from these forums!)

I find that I can sort out thoughts and feelings much better in writing, plus it will help keep me accountable. It also makes me feel closer to my friends who live far away. :)

Blogs are very popular, I have heard.  However, I've never been involved with "blogging" before, and would like some information from people who use it.

Basically, what is it?  Why do you need it?  What does it have to do with RSS newsfeeds?

I'm worried that I may be missing out on something I can't live without!  :dance:

HEY!

I just started blogging and really I did it to show my web clients something new. Now I wish I had more time to rant or share on my blog. LOL

http://www.horseblog.com

Weezy