How Would I Gracefully Transfer Hosting To Tch?

Probedude

Hello,

Currently TCH is the host for my Church's website (www.venturavineyard.org) which my wife maintains (ironically using Homestead since they have nice web tools) and I handle the general housekeeping of the website. I've been happy with TCH's service with my Church and am thinking of moving my persoan side-business website (www.dschmidt.com) to be hosted by TCH also.

What can I do to make this as seemless as possible? Here are my concerns.

- I need to move files over to TCH, but can I do that before the DNS is updated to point to TCH?

- can you handle interfacing with my current hosting company to transfer my domain name?

- I have about 7 different email accounts (wife's, mine, business, etc) that need to have as little down time as possible. What can I expect during the transfer?

- I know that the domain name and the hosting can be held by 2 different companies, but can I transfer the name to TCH also. It would be nice to have everything in one location.

Thanks for your help. My brain isn't engaged fully yet this morning so sorry in advance for not using the correct terms to describe what I want to do.

Dave

- I need to move files over to TCH, but can I do that before the DNS is updated to point to TCH?

If your existing host uses cPanel, we can copy your existing site, username, mail, everything! Absolutely no headaches involved in moving. Also this works with any version of CPanel, so if your old host is out of date, there's no worries at all.

If your existing host are not using cPanel, in the welcome email from TCH. it should say a temporary way you can use to upload the files before propagation have finished.

- I have about 7 different email accounts (wife's, mine, business, etc) that need to have as little down time as possible. What can I expect during the transfer?

As far as I know, during propagation emails can end up either on the old server or on the TCH server.

- I know that the domain name and the hosting can be held by 2 different companies, but can I transfer the name to TCH also. It would be nice to have everything in one location.

Yes, you can transfer your domain name here

Hi Dave,

Yes, you can upload files via FTP, using the IP address.

- can you handle interfacing with my current hosting company to transfer my domain name?

You don't have to transfer the domain name as well ( although you can of course ). It's a relatively simple task. I would sort out the web page transfers first though.

If you set up the email accounts first ( in cpanel, using the IP address ) then change the DNS, should shouldn't really find any downtime. You can check email at both places during propagation, again using IP addresses.

Partially answered above - yes you can transfer it if you wish - just follow the link for Domain Name Transfers

Edited by TCH-Andy
Thomas beat me to it ;)

Hi Dave,

Yes, you can upload files via FTP, using the IP address.

You don't have to transfer the domain name as well ( although you can of course ). It's a relatively simple task. I would sort out the web page transfers first though.

If you set up the email accounts first ( in cpanel, using the IP address ) then change the DNS, should shouldn't really find any downtime. You can check email at both places during propagation, again using IP addresses.

Partially answered above - yes you can transfer it if you wish - just follow the link for Domain Name Transfers

Great, thanks! I'll place an order today for the silver level hosting plan and then do the transfers via IP address.

Is there anything special I need to do to purchase the hosting without having a domain name to link it to in the meantime? What IP address/FTP address would I use to access cpanel for email setup and FTP services?

Dave

Is there anything special I need to do to purchase the hosting without having a domain name to link it to in the meantime? What IP address/FTP address would I use to access cpanel for email setup and FTP services?

When you purchase the hosting - use your current domain name ( just make sure you don't use an email address that is at that domain name - otherwise you won't receive it - as it will be sent to the local account )

The IP address will be sent to your in your welcome email ( we have around 200 servers - so I can't say in advance what IP )

The IP address will be sent to your in your welcome email ( we have around 200 servers - so I can't say in advance what IP )

Okay, I made my purchase and just received my welcome email but I see my domain name listed everywhere and no IP address.

Not that I'm in a rush, just updating you.

Thanks,

Dave

Okay, I've transferred files (will check them tonight) and created email accounts. I found where I can change my DNS entries at my existing hosting company myself so I'm >< this close to pulling the trigger and entering new DNS info for my domain name.

That said, should I do it at a particular time of the day to minimize down time where people cannot email me? In other words, when does the update get pushed out onto the internet and get picked up at a particular time of day such that I should plan on doing the switch a few hours before that time instead of 23 hours before it?

TIA,

Dave

ps, just tried to visit my website at the new IP address of 208.76.80.176 and got the Apache "It's working" page instead of mine. I have an index.html file in there.

Edited by Probedude

ps, just tried to visit my website at the new IP address of 208.76.80.176 and got the Apache "It's working" page instead of mine. I have an index.html file in there.

Nevermind, I found the problem here

To access your site before the domain name completes

propagationyou can go to the URL below to view your site.

http://IP/~username/

I thought I could just type in

ipaddress/index.html

That said, should I do it at a particular time of the day to minimize down time where people cannot email me? In other words, when does the update get pushed out onto the internet and get picked up at a particular time of day such that I should plan on doing the switch a few hours before that time instead of 23 hours before it?

I would suggest changing the DNS during the time your site / email accounts are least active. DNS update takes anything from a couple of hours to 24-48 hours depending on the refresh rate set at various caching nameservers on internet.

Updates start to propagate as soon as you change it, so there are no specific hours for it.

Cheers and congrats on the new account ! ;)

• 2 months later...

I'm very grateful for all the great info in this thread, as this is a project I'm about to undertake. The place where I work has had a site at doteasy for a couple of years now. The boss said "I'd like a shopping cart". Since I set my own up on TCH, I said "Okay, I'll do it". Finally got a look at what she's lined up with at doteasy and, for what she pays, she gets about half the space, bells, and whistles. So she said to go ahead and transfer it and set it up. So, I'm studying.

I've already figured out that they do not have cPanel, so I'll have to transfer the files manually, using FTP. My biggest concern is, because the website is mostly php and I have no idea if it was built using doteasy's onboard web builder or done with a software or manually coded (the guy is gone now), I'm thinking I will have to go through the files and change some things around, such as references to the My_SQL server. I'm feeling a little intimidated by it, since my only experience with php is setting up and customizing my zencart.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, on what I need to look out for, or has experience with doteasy website building, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Also, since doteasy charges to lock a domain, does that mean I can assume it's unlocked?

Thanks very much!

I'm sure it will be standard php, hence should be relatively easy to transfer.

If you copy the files over - then you can test using the IP address or server name ( ip_address/~cpanel_username ). If you give us a link when you have done that - we can take a quick look for you.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I maintain a website for someone that wants to move it to TCH. It has the cpanel, so it should be an easy transfer.

The owner would order and pay for the hosting package they need, and the domain registration transfer. The owner would be responsible for the billing and I would be the webmaster (maintaining the site for them). Would like to know what is the most simplified way of getting this accomplished?

I know in the 'welcome letter" one receives through email, it has all of the site information that is needed to access the site and cpanel. Once it is ordered and processed, and the DNS are directed to TCH's name servers and etc, would I then have access to the cpanel (if I have the necessary info for login and password) and work on the new site while propagation is still going on? Thanks in advance!

I have a personal website hosted by TCH and could not be happier I made the move almost two years ago.

Thanks Tomas for the quick response! Thought so, but just wanted it re-verified. :)

Have a dilema. I was able to get through to the cpanel on the new site, by typin' in the user ID and the Password info from the Welcome Email. The propagation was not complete, so thought I'd check it later. A few hours later, I did just that. I typed the ID and Password info like before. I must have entered the Password incorrectly as it wanted me to re-enter the Password. I did. After a few trys and nothin', it automaticly took me to where you re-set the Password. Then, it said something like this, "A confirmation email has been sent to the email address on file. To continue, enter the confirmation code in the email, or click the link in the email." Ok, I waited to hear from the site owner. After not hearin' anything, I called and asked if he had received an email with the "confirmation code" I needed to access the new site cpanel. He looked all through his email client and spam folder. No conformation code was there in his email, and it's the email they have on file. It's been close to 7 or 8 hours and still no conformation code in his email. He just re-checked his email again and the spam folder, to be sure. I tried sendin' a help ticket, but it wouldn't go through to them without a passward typed in the space for it. Seems likes there's a way to get through to them without the password, but I've forotten what the procedure is. I cannot get to the cpanel to edit or fix anything that needes fixin', since it is waitin' on a "conformation code" authorization. What would you suggest we do now? By the way, a little earlier today, the site was up, but now, this is what shows up:

Index of /

cgi-bin/

favicon.ico

robots.txt

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.b-westerncollectables.com Port 80

The site is http://www.b-westerncollectables.com. We sure could use your advice and help. Many Thanks!!

What would I put in the Password area, at help desk, so it'll go on through to them? That's my dilema mainly. We're waitin' for the email Conformation Code" and without it. Do you think it'll go on through to the help desk?

I have checked and confirmed that the site is now resolving to atlanta.tchmachines.com. You are getting the directory structure on the site because the site is empty and the pages are yet to be uploaded.

What would I put in the Password area, at help desk

Please note that the cpanel logins are different from the help desk logins. To post a ticket all you need to do is

# use the url https://ssl.totalcho...om/supportdesk/

# click on Submit a Ticket

# select the appropriate department (technical support for the current issue)

# fill up the form

# click on Submit

Please ensure that you use a valid, working email as the second field. This is the address to which the correspondences of the help desk will be sent to.

Carl,

I went to the site and got into the cpanel. The pages for the site should have been already there, since they were doing a cpanel transfer. It was suppose to be a domain transfer by cpanel. From what I see, the pages are not there. Since I got into the cpanel, I won't need to sumit a ticket for the "conformation code" authorization dilemma, but I was wondering if I should sumit one to find out if they did a cpanel transfer, since the site previously had the cpanel (believe it was the very same one as TCH has). I know the site owner mentioned in the comments section of the order form, that it had a cpanel and wanted to do a cpanel transfer. Sure hope I wont have to reload everything!! What's your thoughts?

Since you can reach the domains cpanel, in the file manager please check that the index file really is in the public_html directory. If it´s there, make sure it has a proper file extension like htm, html etc.

If it exists and with a proper extension please submit a ticket and ask the techs to look into it.

I really appreciate all of you that have replied to my posts. I did get into the cpanel, but all the files from the site were gone, so they must not have been able to transfer via the cpanel. So, I am reloading the files now to the new server here. Thanks so much guys for your help!!!

• 3 months later...

I have a client that I have been trying to convince to transfer their hosting and domain to TCH. So far I have managed to get them to agree to going part way... By that I mean they would like to set up hosting with the idea of linking to some files at TCH site from the site they currently have, but still holding back on total transfer of domain and web site.

Is that possible? To set up a site without the domain name pointing to the files on the TCH site?