Website Freezes Up Or Does Not Load

I am new to total choice hosting. Have used csb. Any ideas why sometimes the page does not load the counter or poll questions and sometimes freezes up? Not sure if I need to start a new website with csb or get rid of the free counter and poll questions or what may be causing the issue. Any help is appreciated- thanks!

Welcome to the forum dcthunder57,

I haven't used CSB, but my question is are the free counter and polls hosted on another server? (ie; not a program you have installed)

If so, you may be experiencing problems with your site if something is wrong on their end.

On one of my sites I used Sitemeter and if they were down my page would load very slowly, if at all, so I got rid of it and I haven't had the problem since.

Welcome to the forums, dcthunder57!

I use CSB and would like to assist.

Many things can cause your situation. Could be that you have codes on the page that conflict with each other, or code that has not been customized for CSB, or incomplete code (missing closing characters) or if you have 3rd party site add-ons like Groovy mentioned, they may not be properly inserted or not working properly due to things beyond TCH or CSB just to name a few...

To best do so, we would need to see the page(s) that have the problem. Otherwise we are shooting blindly.

By the way, if you use the Publish to local HTML folder for your previewing, make sure it is UNCHECKED in the publishing options before you actually publish as this can often interfere with uploading certain kinds of things to the site.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Here is my site: http://www.davecarronline.com

The counter and the guestbook are on the first page- I thought they may be causing the problem but who knows. I just tried accessing the site now and it seems fine, but sometimes, no guest book, sometimes no counter, sometimes it totally freezes up- very sporadic. Just would like it to be more reliable.

Welcome to the forums, dcthunder57 :)

third party tools like your counter and guestbook can drastically slow down a site

and put you at their mercy.

If they have a problem, your page may hang up.

I had this happen to me before I came here.

Then I discovered that I can have the same tools but running on my site.

I am on high speed cable and it still took more that 12 seconds for lycos and bravenet tools to load.

You originally asked:

Not sure if I need to start a new website with csb or get rid of the free counter and poll questions or what may be causing the issue.

No you do not need to start over.

The problems you are experiencing are not CSB related. They are also not TCH related.

The codes you have inserted are fine. But the extra features you have added to your site that are hosted by other companies can cause malfunctions on your website, including freezing, or improper loading of web pages when the other site is unavailable. Some of the sites that host guestbooks, etc tend to run slowly which affects how your site loads. Consider installing scripts that run here on your TCH website to handle your counter and guestbook needs.

• 4 years later...

Welcome to the forums, dcthunder57 :helpsmilie:

third party tools like your counter and guestbook can drastically slow down a site

and put you at their mercy.

If they have a problem, your page may hang up.

I had this happen to me before I came here.

Then I discovered that I can have the same tools but running on my site.

I am on high speed cable and it still took more that 12 seconds for lycos and bravenet tools to load.

Does this mean that we cannot use 3rd party tools with csb? kinda an important thing to me because my blog will depend alot on some feeds plugins..etc

Please advice

Welcome to the forum, themantoask. :helpsmilie:

First of all, you can not maintain a blog through CSB, only link to it from the site you have made with CSB.

Second, yes Don is correct, 3rd party tools may slow down your blog/site, but if it´s a blog you have, there should be plugins for it to use instead of using 3rd party tools. I would suggest wordpress.

Welcome to the forum, themantoask. :helpsmilie:

First of all, you can not maintain a blog through CSB, only link to it from the site you have made with CSB.

Second, yes Don is correct, 3rd party tools may slow down your blog/site, but if it´s a blog you have, there should be plugins for it to use instead of using 3rd party tools. I would suggest wordpress.

What a friendly forum, and thanks for the prompt responses,

I am actually using wordpress now but i want to change that, so that's why i was asking, i think if i used a non-popular platform that make it less vernuable to hackers right? because wordpress get hacked.

Alos another question and hope it is not thread hijacking, why my signature was removed? i hate to break any rules so i want to know what i did wrong for you to remove my sig link.

I removed your signature since the site is not hosted by TCH according to my research. If you decide to host with us, you are welcome to add your site to your signature.

I am using Wordpress as well and haven´t had any problems.

Oh i see, thanks for the clarifications.

And for wordpress, i once had a blog and i used wordpress, and one day i bought a template but then after 2 days my whole database of posts where gone and i got somekind of strange php error, i checked the source code and i saw some kind of virus url or something like that,