Site Promotion

mike

I have been reading up on SEO and search engine optimization.

Hmmm.

I'm am seeing articles that say "links" aren't so important anymore.

Also that "Meta tags" aren't even looked at by search engines.

I read that the "revisit" tag means nothing because it was originally designed for some site, I believe, in

Vancouver?

One person says that you should never set "Revisit after" to less than 31 days .

Another says that spiders ignore the revisit tag.

then I notice the top result on a certain search has "revisit after 7 days" and remains at the top.

Do this. No don't do that. Do this. No, don't do that either. That's changed, don't do that now.

It gets a bit tough to tell who to believe and you can't always tell how old the info is either.

Edited by mike

Incoming links are very important, especially with Google. One of the best places I've found to learn about SEO is highrankings.com/forum. They stay away from the hype there and trying to spam or trick the search engines, very white hat SEO. Another good source that I've found is The Unfair Advantage Book at searchenginenews.com. Good luck with it and if you still get stuck, feel free to PM me.

Lise

I agree with Lise... only post a question so we can all benefit from the answer. :clapping:

As far as do/don'ts there are two things... changing rules and misinformed people believing hype.

Incoming links are very important. Revisit after is a suggestion at best... certainly not worth much if anything. Meta tags probably won't change your placement in SERPS, but they sometimes provide the description for your site.

This, of course, is very basic info and not well detailed, but it's a start. Hope you find it helpful. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks Lise and Jim.

I guess my question was - who to believe?

I have been looking through highrankings.com/forum and Lise confirmed it was a good site so I will continue studying there assuming that the big things so far are links and content.

To echo TCH-Rob, in highly compeitive categories of search, the sites that rise to the top have the most relevant content, the most content, and above all, good links pointing back to them.

Anything that seems like a shortcut is probably black-hat SEO and could potentially get you in hot water... come back to bite you.

There's no easy route to dominating the search engine results. Doing the right things right for an extended period of time is what works.

Excellent point Rob! There are not many rules that have remained constant other than links and decent content for the visitor. Everything else changes on a monthly or few-monthly basis so any book will be at least somewhat out of date as soon as it's printed.

Links and decent content ARE the key.

Even so, I have heard that the content needs to change for the spiders to re-index???

Is that correct, or , to what extent?

Although I suspect spiders may revisit more often if content changes frequently, it's not necessary to get them to come to your site to index it. Googlebot has hit me 78+ times so far this month on a site that's not changed in probably 2 years. The latest visit was 4:44 yesterday.

Same as Jim, 123+ this month and most of my content is static. New content is good if you have it just to keep visitors coming back. Remember not to get too caught up in all this though, while it is important to SEO your site to get visitors, it means nothing if you do not have the content to keep them there.

They are not totally useless as many search engines use them to help decide what the site's about and for the blurb they provide sometimes. They are not as important now when a search engine tries to determine your placement among other sites like yours.

You should use them - who knows, maybe they will become important again or some smaller search engine will still use them and drive traffic to your site. Every little bit helps - just don't obsess over them.

Hi,

I'm Esoos Bobnar, one of the contributing authors to searchenginenews.com and the Unfair Advantage Book. Just wanted to say thanks to the folks that recommended our publication, and give my two cents.

I'd very much agree with the advice that's been given in this forum. Create a quality site, and work to get links from other quality sites that are related in topic to your own. When it comes to links, quality is more important than quantity.

As mentioned, the meta description tag can be important, as it often provides the description of your site that people see in the search engines. Most other meta tags are unimportant, with exception of the META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX,NOFOLLOW" type of meta tag. Best to avoid this one, because it can keep search engine spiders from indexing your web pages if you're not careful.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions about SEO, but it looks like the mods here already have a pretty strong grasp of the topic.

Also, as a side note, the Unfair Advantage Book is an ebook, and it gets updated every month to keep it current.

Welcome Esoos! Thanks for the comments - it's always good to have another input, especially one as qualified as yours. Most of us are just guessing, albeit educated guessing, at SEO and it's great that you took the time to post to let us know we are on the right track.

Also, thanks for the note about the book - I hadn't read anything about it and didn't realize it's an ebook. I'll have to check that out.