Announcement

TCH-Dick

In an effort to provide our customers with the best service possible at a good price we are planning on rolling out some new features in the coming months. Some things are still "in the works" but we do have some that will be made available as soon as Oct. 1st

Starting Oct. 1st TotalChoice will be providing Pre-sales and Billing support via telephone. Billing support via phone will be between 11AM and 2PM Monday through Friday (support via the help desk will still be available as well) Pre-sales support hours havent been decided yet, but will most likely be Mon. through Fri. during normal business hours.

Oct. 1st we will be providing a network status number customers can call to find out if there are any current issues, this will be a recorded message and will be updated with any issues. The recording will provide details of any issues as well as a link to a section of the TotalChoice site that may have further information. This will be a recording only, not a tech support line. Tech support will still be handled via the help desk, live chat and AOL IM.

New site "relaunch", A few months a go we had a new site designed and it was launched briefly. It was pulled after 1-2 days, but will be relaunched on Oct. 1st.

more options and features are in the works, and we'll let you know as they are made available.

:dance: LOVE LOVE LOVE phone support!! Especially the network status number!

Once again, TCH amazes me! Just went I thought it couldn't get any better, Head Guru and the TCH staff do it again!

I cannot wait to see the new site design!

I hope you know you are stuck with me for life! :goof:

Have to say that as I am already a customer (no need for pre-sales) and have yet to have a billing problem, I'm not too concerned about the first numbers. And I'd typically rather check the site for network status problems, too. But the announcement is still really neat. Congratulations. :dance:

Thanks TCH :dance:

Consider me as a member for life too. :)

Unfortunately as a international customer I will have to wait for the other unknown features to be presented since calling America is not an option for me, atleast not for network checking. I mean if I can not access my site and tracerouts tells me there is nothing wrong with my connection, I will have to assume something is wrong some where, where I can do very little about it.

But for those who will be able to use these features I am happy for them. :goof:

Unfortunately as a international customer I will have to wait for the other unknown features to be presented since calling America is not an option for me, atleast not for network checking. I mean if I can not access my site and tracerouts tells me there is nothing wrong with my connection, I will have to assume something is wrong some where, where I can do very little about it.

Yep same here, though if I'm really desparate and non of the techs are online I might put a call through via Skype lets see ! Still all this sounds good for everyone that can use it, can't wait for the new site and the "More New Features TBA"

I've gotten such amazing support on-line I never gave telephone support a second thought, but I'm sure there are times when it would be convenient. Congrats on the expanded support level, Bill. It can only mean things are going well and TCH is growing - always a good thing.

Look forward to seeing the new website. :dance: A little sprucing up is always fun.

Rock Sign

I so curiously waited for the announcement but then same here as mentioned above its not relevant for International User because at least for myself I feel it’s not economically feasible to call long distance for a support

But for other who got easy access to it I think its good going on your part can say one more feather in your hat

Also while reading the announcement: a suggestion and a Idea

What struck me was ideas see for international user just a suggestion you all can explorer the possibility of it For people who cant call to check the network status etc there this possibility well

1.can setup or make a custom script which alert people Via SMS

Send a sms automatically to all who subscribed to this service (could be paid / or free as a value added stuff) informing about the current network issues and status etc

2.Second Scenario Could be people sms a Keyword to you and then its replied back automatically saved text based upon the keyword which was sent

I think this Practical possible because there so many SMS gateways on the Net which Connect to Whole world and not limited to particular area or continent

Also with regards to second suggestion which also I think there must be already a software for that…because I had a symbian software in my p800 I remember which did the same Job

• 3 weeks later...
New site "relaunch", A few months a go we had a new site designed and it was launched briefly. It was pulled after 1-2 days, but will be relaunched on Oct. 1st.

Hello,

What happened to the new site. It was my understanding per previous post that it would be available Oct 1st. What happened?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, not to be a pain but October 1st a redesigned TCH website was supposed to be up and running. While I understand that it did come online for a few minutes and then taken down due to problems. It would be nice to know when your customers can expect a website that is current, functional and ready for production. You announce to your customer that a site update is coming and then you are silent on the issue. Bottom line here folks is what is your plan.

What is the plan?

The new site will be launched when its ready, it was designed by someone else and when i switched to the new design about 75% of the rest of the site stopped working. I am NOT a web designer and there are several thousand files involved with our website, sorry for the delay but it will be switched when its done.

I don't see what the problem is here...

1) The current TCH website is 100% functional. Obviously. Otherwise we wouldn't be here.

2) The new design will be up when it's ready.

3) The new design isn't vital for TCH's survival, it's just a nice eye candy upgrade.

4) Why are current customers complaining about the new design not being up?

Just things to ponder... :D Honestly, I find it silly that anybody gets upset at the delay of the new design. I'd rather see the new design go up 100% functional than 75% and have a busted site until its fixed.

I am not upset at all. All I am saying is that when a product is supposed to be in production and it is not, it would be nice to be given information about why, etc.

This is just professionalism in the industry. Yes the site that TCH currently has is functional but if you go to the /help page many of the links are outdated, and monitoring is not updated when the new servers that are added, in a timely manner. For example: server uptime page has been out of commission for at least 5 months, Server monitoring page only goes to 79 when there are now 84 servers. The link to the remote login to your server cpanel only goes to server 38.

Do i need to say more. My point is.....a current website is a good resource or TCH customer to come to. Oh.....a current, functional and professional looking website seems to be a very important asset for a "webhosting" company.....

"that's all i have to say about that" (quote from Forest Gump)

Good day and may TCH always represent the best in every aspects of the hosting business. For most. they hit the mark 95% of the time.

Rock Sign

I don't see what the problem is here...

1) The current TCH website is 100% functional. Obviously. Otherwise we wouldn't be here.

2) The new design will be up when it's ready.

3) The new design isn't vital for TCH's survival, it's just a nice eye candy upgrade.

4) Why are current customers complaining about the new design not being up?

Just things to ponder... ;) Honestly, I find it silly that anybody gets upset at the delay of the new design. I'd rather see the new design go up 100% functional than 75% and have a busted site until its fixed.

Well i think The problem is ... Curiosity and no one can blame anyone for that ... because its human nature :(

but we all should realize that

"Curiosity kills the cat "

So i think it would be wise to wait for the Site to Be completed

and regarding ... " I find it silly that anybody gets upset at the delay of the new design "

i feel its its Because the aspiration from people out here are getting higher and higher

might be i may be correct or May be wrong in my assumption or conclusion

This is nothing but the "Whoops, we were a little too fast" and then people wonder -thing. This has been a normal procedure around people since stoneage.

No worries TCH-people. :(

But this is why stuff needs to be tested and tested and tested over and over again (behind the scenes) until all works and then it can be presented to the public.

Why not put together a checking/reference group as you did with the last try?

At that time you let everyone test/look for what they wanted, which ended with eveyone looking for typos.

This time this group can have people where person a looks for this, person b looks for that and person c looks for something else and so on..?

Just my 0.002 cents

Edited by Jikrantz

I am not upset at all. All I am saying is that when a product is supposed to be in production and it is not, it would be nice to be given information about why, etc.

Hmmm, I guess we look at it differently because I see the TCH website as a marketing tool and a nice thing they provide for us rather than a "product" that's "supposed to be in production"

This is just professionalism in the industry.  Yes the site that TCH currently has is functional but if you go to the /help page many of the links are outdated, and monitoring is not updated when the new servers that are added, in a timely manner.  For example: server uptime page has been out of commission for at least 5 months, Server monitoring page only goes to 79 when there are now 84 servers. The link to the remote login to your server cpanel only goes to server 38.  Do i need to say more.
Speaking of professionalism in the industry, did you happen to mention these things in the forums or in the helpdesk ,as appropriate, or just save them up for when you wanted to make a point?

My point here is that TCH is run by a few paid staff and a lot of volunteers. We volunteers don't usually have a lot of time to go looking for problems but if they are identified then we can at least put them on a list of to-do things to get to when we can. If everyone sits back and says nothing when they see problems then we assume it's all working fine. If someone launches with 50-zillion things when they're trying to make a point or slam TCH then it's not as likely that the report will be accepted with great ethusiasm.

Is it not true that the "help" page is designed to provide helpful information to TCH customers that "pay" for services rendered. This does not seem to be a "marketing" tool to me but a "service" tool that can utilized by TCH customers.

With this is mind is it too much to ask for updated service tools. What good does it do when a customer has outdated tools in the "help" section. I wll submit a helpdesk ticket. Maybe then something will get done about it. I guess when one works for a multi-billion dollar international company that demands excellence and proactiveness from all employeed I guess it rubs off. Maybe instead of arguing with your customers you should consider the input and address issues as they arise.

My bottom line is that I expect a well maintained help site.

Kind Regards

Russ

Is it not true that the "help" page is designed to provide helpful information to TCH customers that "pay" for services rendered.
Yes it is, but remember that none of us "pay" for the help page... we pay for hosting and TCH gives us more.
I will submit a helpdesk ticket. Maybe then something will get done about it.
Why are you so bitter? Besides, don't submit helpdesk tickets in the tone of this thread or I suspect you'd be met with the same excited desire to jump right on it that you get from me... and being bitter and nasty makes that close to none, I must admit.

Also, I said to submit a helpdesk ticket "as appropriate". Helpdesk may be for a broken link in cpanel but not for "the helpfile on SpamAssassin is out of date".

I guess when one works for a multi-billion dollar international company that demands excellence and proactiveness from all employeed I guess it rubs off.
I thought most folks that worked for multi-billion dollar international companies learned the art of diplomacy but maybe not. If TCH was a multi-billion dollar a year international company then I'm sure Bill would have the paid staff to sit around looking for problems or out-of-date help files but charging us $4/month he probably doesn't get enough to give himself the salary he deserves, muchless the number of people necessary to scan the entire site. Of course, he'd be well within his rights to take down the forums and helpsite, raise the rates, lower the support we get and still be better than 90% of the hosts out there... but he's not like that. Probably a good thing I don't run the company :)
Maybe instead of arguing with your customers you should consider the input and address issues as they arise. 
Ok, let's get this straight right now. You are not my customer. You and I both are customers of TCH. I happen to volunteer time to help out with the forums but I am not TCH... TCH is not arguing with you...
My bottom line is that I expect a well maintained help site.
Have you considered volunteering to research/write new material or edit bad links? TCH does appreciate any help that qualified and willing people can provide.

This also comes down to resources. TCH is trying to provide the best services it can but there are many things to do. Some things have to wait a bit longer to be taken care of due to more important issues. One should also realize that we are not a multi-billion dollar business that doesnt have the ability to make those demands. We can try but can only do so much with the resources at hand. I work for one of those companies at my day job, last night they made a decision that negatively affected over 20,000 employees with zero notice so just because it is demanded does not make a great company. I am not sure anyone was argueing but more trying to explain where we stand. I wonder if anyone here questioning in this thread have run a hosting company before? How many really know what it is like to try and provide something like this?

I am not discounting anyone wanting everything shiny, new and up to date. Nothing like that new car smell. Just remember that things get done in order of priority. I am sure if no one minds then we can let server and account issues go for a while so we can update the site a bit.

OK, that wont happen but we would almost have to do that if we wanted to get everything else done now.

If we continue to pick back and forth at each other I will be forced to close this thread until further notice. (This goes for both sides of the fence)

Jim,

I am not bitter in anyway. I am simply voicing an opinion of service rendered.

On another note you might want to consider how you address others in this forum.

I personally find you offensive. I don't think my comments on this forum are rude, offensive or pointed as are your comments. I will drop the subject as it does not matter what i say or how I say it. My point remains the same. How about an updated help site.

Good Day

Rob,

Thank you for your comments. They are appropriate and to the point. I understand what you are saying. It is hard to get everything done and I appreciate all those that work so hard to provide the service that TCH does.

Kind Regards

Russ

Rock Sign

Russ,

;)

Remember none of us intend to come off as a jerk, it is hard for me to find the right words sometimes so I know I do often, I have found that we members that moderate and the staff have come to call this home. Sometimes we see something the wrong way just as customers can take what we put in here wrong as well and feel the need to defend our home.

I often forget this a business and am here to help it grow and look at it as a place where I come to relax and hang out with my friends. I dont want anyone here to come away with the feeling that we dont care, more to the point, I think we care a great deal.

On another note you might want to consider how you address others in this forum.

I personally find you offensive.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Russ. No one else has said that to me. I guess we're all entitled to our opinions of others, no matter what colors that opinion.

Rob is exactly right and did a better job of expressing that than I did because he was able to stand back and be objective. I don't always do well at that when someone is saying TCH isn't providing services they pay for when it is the cheapest host I've ever seen and yet does all these extra things for us that even the most expensive ones don't do.

TCH Rules and if by saying so I offended one person then I apologize but won't change my opinion.

Rob's right about another thing. This line of the conversation has run its course. Back to happy hosting.

Thread closed, if anyone has a problem with something you can e-mail me personally. Honestly I took this website thing as an attack on me personally. I am trying to get the site going, like I said I am NOT a webdesigner.

mike@totalchoicehosting.com