Geography

Boojum

Good question, Bonnie.

As you know, there are in fact several Odessas in both North America and Eurasia—just as there are several Moscows, several Athenses and so forth.

To keep entries unique, I therefore suggest that any further iterations of a city/county/etc. name include the state/country as part of their names.

Thus, if Odessa (Ontario) is used, it will have to be entered as "Odessa, Ontario" (in which case the next entry will have to start with "O" instead of "A"). (Of course, it could also be written as "Odessa, Ontario, Canada"—which brings us back to the "A's" again!)

I hope that helps ... or at least doesn't leave anyone even more confused. <_<

Thanks, Boojum.

The last entry was Odessa, Texas

Picking up where we left off with these rules, I respectfully submit

Saskatchewan

Bonnie:

I think you may have misunderstood. When I said "further iterations," I meant additional uses of the same name.

That means, in this case, my last entry stands on "Odessa," which requires a reply starting with "A."

If someone subsequently refers to a different Odessa, that is when a state/province/country will have to be added. So, the next one might be "Odessa, Russia" or "Odessa, Ontario" or even "Odessa, Ontario, Canada," but this first use is the only one in which "Odessa" is the complete entry.

(I only added "Texas" [in parentheses] to forestall Tonsa asking "Where's Odessa?" in his next post. <_< )

Hey Boojum,

I don't have time to read every other post and I am too old to remember every place that was used previously. This is now up to three pages of posts and I don't have the time to go back and see what everyone has already entered previously.

Thanks, it was fun while it lasted. I'm off to other threads.

Bruce:

Sorry to see you go.

But it should be realized that it's the non-repeating requirement that makes this game a bit of a challenge: You have to possess either a) an outstanding memory, B) a flair for coming up with entries that no one else would think of, or c) enough of a perfectionist streak to check the preceding entries before submitting a new one.

If you don't want to take the trouble, however, I can certainly understand.

Hmm.

Well, it now appears that "Saskatchewan" stands by default, since someone has already posted a reply starting with "N." <_<

So, in the spirit of keeping the game going, my next entry:

Yreka (California).

{Note for future reference that state/province/country names in parentheses after a city are not counted for the purposes of this game.}

Ashland, Oregon.

(Ever attended their Shakespeare Festival?

When I was seven, I lived there for a year with my grandparents—and my grandfather was a dyed-in-the-wool Shakespeare scholar. That's how it came about that, when my classmates were singing the Pepsodent jingle, I was chanting the verse from the Weird Sisters:

Double, double, toil and trouble!

Fire burn and cauldron bubble!)

Alameda.

{Helpful hint:

If you're not sure whether a candidate placename has been used before in this game, you needn't read all the posts to check. Just use the forum search feature, with "Fun and Games" as the selected forum, and the name in question as your search term.

Saves a lot of work. :) }

Ansonia (Connecticut).

{Note: brich is disqualified for repeating "Accra," previously used on page 2 by Jikrantz; EricHamilton is disqualified for repeating "Ethiopia" and "Albania"—both previously used by yours truly on pages 2 and 1 respectively.}

We are rapidly running out of players. Shall we halt this game and start over? It's up to you, my fellow players.

Alexandria, Virginia.

{Note: EricHamilton remains disqualified for repeating entries used by others; davejenbarnes, on the other hand, is disqualified for repeating one of EricHamilton's entries.} :shutup: