Reseller Account Backup Protection?

Joaquin

First of all, making backups of our data is our own responsibility.

However, TCH do make backups daily if I remember correct.

Thanks Thomas, I agree and am an advocate of regular backups, however I was more specifically asking about the daily ( or if I remember the announcement correctly, 12 hour) backups and want to confirm this as well as if it applies to just the web data or emails as well.

Up until now I have just hosted personal sites with TCH but now am preparing a proposal to bring the 30+ sites my company hosts to TCH as well and am not sure if there is a central way to backup all these sites manually or not. ( I guess this is another question )

Joaquin

The backups that TCH performs on a regular basis are to protect total loss if a system fails. It is by no means a substitute for customers backing up their own sites.

Having said that, the only backups required are when changes are made along with databases and email. I personally download all my mail daily to my own machine using POP access even though I do access my accounts using IMAP throughout the day. If I am away for an extended period of time, I download the email when I return.

Check out the Backup FAQ thread in the cPanel and Site Maintenance forum for using cron jobs to perform database backups as well as site backups to a remote server using FTP.

Remember, your data is your responsibility.

Thanks Bruce, that info is helpful as several of our sites will use databases. However I think we are not on the same page. I will be backing up our sites and databases to my office machine which is backed up to our server which is backed up to external drives from which a weekly offsite backup is kept. Our Outlook .PST files are also backed up to our server and so forth.

I am trying to sell my boss on TCH. All I want to know is if I can truthfully convey the below statement to my boss:

"TCH does backups every 12 hours of the web and email servers in case of a catastrophic system failure on their end."

I would say the backups are done daily. I do not want to say it's every 12 hours when it might not be.

Thanks Bruce I will make the change, just wasn't sure if the email servers were included in this backup, thanks for the confirmation.

Joaquin