Noc Outage

We are experiencing downtime on our NOC, it is not just TCH but the entire facility which hosts our NOC. We are in the process of tracking this down We have all our team working on this. We will update you as soon as we get it from the Data Centre guys.

Got word that the building got hit by lightning. All power and fiber lines are down. Two portable generators are in route as is the utility company. The fiber to the building is down in multiple places due to bad storms, we have fiber crews out working it.

My site is on Matra and just received this message from a site I manage there, a global membership site:

"Got a message just now from a member that they sent a prospect to our website and they were not able to access. What is linked to our url now is WORSE than nothing. Please let me know you have received this message. Sorry to interrupt your Saturday. "

Otherwise, someone else's site is now showing up rather than chenetwork.org ...

We have our data center team and technicians working on this as we speak. This is our #1 priority and we are working diligently on restoring all services. We apologize for the inconvenience but assure you that we are doing what we can!

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

The smf forum on our site is not working either. Instead of the correct folders and files in the forum folder /smf/, there are a number of core.???? type files in there. core.10001 for example

matra server

I will be posting a full disclosure of the events as soon as I can get the time.

We are still working some server issues, but this only accounts for

As Mike stated drop us a ticket if your having issues still, we will see the tickets faster than we will see anything you post here.

Thanks for your support during this serious issue at TCH.

• Like 1

Kevan it is clients like you and the many thousands at TCH that make our job such a pleasure.

I am still working with the team , many of us have been working non stop since 3am this morning, but we are slowly getting things back in order.

I will update soon with full story.

i have been with TCH for 10 years. TCH is the best. what happened was unexpected and only brings out the best in TCH.

and these things do happen in other NOCs as well. I have a couple of servers at theplanet(now softlayer) and my server there was also affected by their power outage (short circuit) which i think is more preventable than a lightning strike. Here is the article on the >1 day power outage at theplanet which my server was a part of:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/06/01/explosion-at-the-planet-causes-major-outage/

• Like 1

Matra still having issues. Sent ticket in. My domain and email are still not working.

www. orangeshoalsservicedirectory.org

I had a similar issue with my forum not working. I checked the error log via cpanel and it turns out that they have changed something on the server so access to my forum was being blocked because it's permissions were set to 777.

I still haven't received email that was sent during the outage (Felucia server). Please post here when all the issues are resolved so I'll know whether or not to submit another support ticket for this. (I've already submitted one and your tech said it should be restored within 24 hours.)

There was no email sent to anyone abotu this (as far as I know) since communication regarding this has mostly been through the forum.

Announcements about the outage has also been posted on Facebook & Twitter but not by email.

TCH-Thomas, I wasn't referring to email about the outage, I'm talking about emails sent to me by visitors and members of my website that haven't gone through due to the outage. I'm missing email from about a 12-hour period (estimated). I want to know when everything should be back to normal so if I don't get that email, I'll know to submit another support ticket.

I had a similar issue with my forum not working. I checked the error log via cpanel and it turns out that they have changed something on the server so access to my forum was being blocked because it's permissions were set to 777.

Most likley this occured during the FSCK, but I am not sure.

i have been with TCH for 10 years. TCH is the best. what happened was unexpected and only brings out the best in TCH.

and these things do happen in other NOCs as well. I have a couple of servers at theplanet(now softlayer) and my server there was also affected by their power outage (short circuit) which i think is more preventable than a lightning strike. Here is the article on the >1 day power outage at theplanet which my server was a part of:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/06/01/explosion-at-the-planet-causes-major-outage/

I remember the day that incident occured. It was very big explosion and they had thousands of clients off line for days and days.

Site on matra is still down.

Site on endor is working fine now

Thank You for keeping us informed during this busy time

I am looking at upgrading the Matra Server into all new hardware, but this appears not to be an emergency so something that we will plan out.

Matra still having issues. Sent ticket in. My domain and email are still not working.

www. orangeshoalsservicedirectory.org

Your site appears to up and online. If your having issues please submit a help desk ticket, its really the fastest way to get assistance.

TCH-Thomas, I wasn't referring to email about the outage, I'm talking about emails sent to me by visitors and members of my website that haven't gone through due to the outage. I'm missing email from about a 12-hour period (estimated). I want to know when everything should be back to normal so if I don't get that email, I'll know to submit another support ticket.

Me -

Mail delivery is governed by the MX records in the receiving domain's DNS zone. You can have multiple MX records, and the records can be weighted with "preference" so that certain a certain server can be the primary receiver and other servers can be lower priority machines.

So if multiple MX records exist and a mail server is down, then mail delivery goes to the next preferenced server.

Typically, mail servers are configured with retry times, so if the mail servers for the recipient domain are unreachable, the mail is flagged for RETRY. The sending server waits a preset amount of time and then attempts delivery again. If the recipient mail exchangers are still not reachable, then the sending server may return the mail to the RETRY queue, again for a configured amount of time subsequent retries may be a longer wait, say 4 hours for example. The number of retries and the time increments between the first and subsequent retries are all configurable within the sending server by the servers adminisrator.

Typically, after 12-24 hours of retry if the recipient servers are still not reachable, the sending server will give up and will likely send an undeliverable report to the sender indicating that it could not deliver the email.

Bottom line is you should get any mail sent to you whenever you have an email outage.

Great. So it's been 12-24 hours, so where is it? :)

Since this email did not orginate from our server, I can not tell you. I can only tell you how email should work. I know thats not the answer, but it is the the only one I can give you.

I have lived in this state my entire life and I have never seen storms like this.

Appears at one point there were 150K DTE customers without power.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2013/07/21/news/local_news/doc51ebdcb48105b081693297.txt

Bill,

Thank you for your tireless support and supreme customer support that you have provided and continue to provide for 10+ years now. I know we we not spoken as on late and TCH will always be my first and total choice for hosting. I am not as involved as much as of late but will always promote TCH as the hosting service of choice. Let's chat sometime soon. I hope you still find time for your bikes.

Gary Hatala ex owner of TSSB