Can't Read Dvd

mike

So, before I wiped out the hdrive and re-installed xp.............

I burned a lot of data to a dvd using Final Burner and now that I am all re-installed I try to get folders from the

dvd and all I get is "incorrect function".

Got the same from trying to read it in my wife's dvd drive.

Searching " incorrect function" I really didn't get much.

any ideas?

thanks

unfortunately it sounds as if it didn't burn properly.

Is it just giving the error when it tries to auto-run ? Or when you actually try reading from the disk?

Had you previously checked they were readable ( before you reinstalled ) ?

If it were just your machine, I'd try removing and reinstalling the DVD software ... but since you are getting the same effect on a different machine, I'd suspect the disk itself.

I was afraid that MIGHT be the deal.

When I burned it said SUCCESSFUL, but I did NOT check to see if I could read it.

I get the error msg just double clicking the icon in my computer. When I ask for properties

it shows me that it is full with no free space.

thanks

well, I tried from windows explorer and got nothing at all. not even an error msg

I just removed the dvd drive from device mgr and let it reinstall at reboot.

same.

D:not accessible

Incorrect Function

I know. I should have tried to read it. Fortunately, I believe I have other copies on cdrw , so I dont think I lost

anything really.

I used Final Burner, because I tried it when I couldn't get CDXP BURNER PRO to burn a dvd.

Now I don't trust Final burner either.

I found this same problem in various locations on a google search and plenty of folks are saying to uninstall

Roxio and solve the problem. Don't have Roxio.

Others the same with NERO. Nero always seemed to be unreadable on pc's that didn't have Nero.

What good is that? I want burns that can be read on ANY pc.

I, for some reason, seem to have a bit of trouble whenever I try to burn dvd's. ( although I HAVE been successful burning photo movies. ) ?? Maybe one just needs to BUY a decent dvd burner software program.

I don't seem to have much luck with the freebies on the dvd end. CDrw? Never a problem.

The progs I have seem to have trouble "seeing" how much space is being asked for on the disk. They usually report that the disk is full ( while adding files to burn ) yet I KNOW it isn't.

Anyway, if ya'll got an idea for a RELIABLE burner package, let me know.

thanks for the help TCH'ers

AH'LL BE BOCK

Isobuster is software that may be able to recover data off your problem DVDs.

But it sounds like the reason you have had trouble burning DVDs successfully is that you are not finalizing/closing the DVDs when you burn them. Windows can usually read unfinalized CD-R's, but unfinalized DVD's are a problem. Nero is a good program for burning, at least version 6 is (that's what I use). You just have to close the disc so that it is readable on all computers.

Hope that helps!

Isobuster is software that may be able to recover data off your problem DVDs.

But it sounds like the reason you have had trouble burning DVDs successfully is that you are not finalizing/closing the DVDs when you burn them. Windows can usually read unfinalized CD-R's, but unfinalized DVD's are a problem. Nero is a good program for burning, at least version 6 is (that's what I use). You just have to close the disc so that it is readable on all computers.

Hope that helps!

You mean as opposed to leaving it to where you can add more data? that might be what I did.

It's a good idea to always close DVDs after one session, instead of leaving them where you can add more. Otherwise, it can cause problems reading the DVDs later on, even if you close it after the second session.

You *may* still be able to read your DVD or close it using Final Burner, since that's what you created it with.

Final Burner doesn't see it either.

It doesn't have a "close" or "finalize" option.

Just "allow next session" ( the default ) or

"append last session".

It MAY not even have burned right??

Oh well. I'll get it if it takes all day. heh heh.

thanks for the tips though - whenever you learn SOMETHING out of the deal..............you win.

Thanks. I will do that next time and see what happens.

"allow next session" is checked by default. I don't understand why Final Burner would do that

if it's going to cause a problem.

But that must BE the problem.

thanks again folks.