Php5 / Mysql5 Upgrades

Head Guru

As many of you know, PHP 4.x will be reaching its end of life at the beginning of January 2008. This means that the developers of PHP are no longer going to offer support for PHP 4, which ultimately means we can no longer run PHP4 on our production servers.

We have constantly been managing the balance between those of you who have been asking us for PHP5 and those of you who have older scripts that would be broken by PHP5 asking to maintain PHP4. It is due to these compatibility issues with various PHP scripts we held off on doing so. However, all major scripts have now been upgraded to work with PHP5, and hence the time is right for us to upgrade. This server will be left online with php4 until the first of 2008 at which time we will need to have all accounts moved to PHP5.

Before those of you with older scripts begin to panic, we will be here to help throughout the process, and we are looking to leave one server using PHP4 for those cases which cannot be upgraded in a hurry.

Many of you may be asking "What does this mean to me and my website". Quite simply in most cases the upgrade to the server hosting your web site will be seamless. There should be no changes in the way your static web pages load and operate. If your using web pages built on php code this upgrade "may" effect your site. Some of the code used in PHP 4 may not function in the same manner running under php5. In the cases of scripts you have purchased or installed, most vendors have their code PHP5 compliant now. If you have custom written your code, then you may need to revamp certain sections of it to run properly under php5.

As stated earlier, we will be upgrading to the latest stable builds of PHP 5 and MySQL5.

We will begin a limited roll out of the new versions on 11/13/2007. This roll out will be limited to our servers located in our Troy, MI Data center and the upgrades will take place on 11/13/2007 starting @ 12:01am The first roll out effects the following servers:

abraxas

almania

ambria

ansek

applecore

bespin

byss

cathar

coruscant

dagobah

dantooine

danuta

darthvader

elom

endor

felucia

fresia

geonosis

grievous

gryphon

hansolo

hapes

hoth

inysh

ithor

jandoon

jendar

kalee

kamino

kashyk

korriban

lando

luke

mandalore

naboo

nubia

ophideran

ossus

palpatine

plavin

quanton

r2d2

revan

saijo

sidious

tarvis

ukatis

utapau

vortex

widek

xerxes

yavin

zeltros

We will begin our second roll out one week later. The following servers will be upgraded starting at 12:01am on 11/21/2007:

Finally, we will complete the roll out on 11/28/2007 ( again starting at 12:01am) by upgrading the following servers:

Thanks for let us know about news but i'm still wonder why not leave PHP4 on server along with PHP5!?

So far i know it is possible and it will save a lot people of trouble to rewriting code from PHP4 to PHP5 and because PHP6 come very soon then again rewriting to PHP6.

Many hosting company already run both version to save their client unnecessary trouble. If there is not PHP4 along with PHP i guess that you will see december as busiest month every in history of company because of massive tickets that will come in about broken and non working sites.

Edited by Deny

I would also be in favor of having both 4 and 5 co-exist, at least for a little while. It would be nice to be able to test my custom scripts under php5, while knowing that I have a fallback option of running them on php4 until I get the problems fixed.

Let us know if this is an option. Failing that, do you have a test server set up that we can test our scripts on (and place a copy of our databases on)?

I think that it will cost me at least $100-$200 to let some php coder to verify and eventually rewrite some php script because many of them that i used right now are written for PHP4 and i can be lucky if half of them works for PHP5!?

So my appeal is again to leave PHP4 along with PHP5 on all servers. Save yourself from unnecessary trouble by saving your client from trouble.

Thanks

Edited by Deny

I am using phpBB 2.0.22 which is the latest version. However I do not know if I will need to do something to get the forum running. I am feeling lost.

phpBB 3 is not jet released in a stable version, neither has the beta 3 versions the hability to migrate data from phpBB2 jet.

Please consider allowing us to have both versions a bit more.

If the developers drop support for PHP4 TCH has no chioce but to drop it from production. If a security risk/breach were to happen due to something missed in PHP4 it could take down the servers. The upgrade is being done to prevent such a risk.

If the developers drop support for PHP4 TCH has no chioce but to drop it from production. If a security risk/breach were to happen due to something missed in PHP4 it could take down the servers. The upgrade is being done to prevent such a risk.

Agree. But php official website say that they will continue to make critical security fixes until 2008-08-08.

The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08.

So please give us more time running both version of php at least a couple more months.

Many of us do not have server running PHP5 where they can test all php script and at the moment that PHP5 version will be installed on all servers totalchoice can expect a lot angry emails for non-working web site. It is better to run both version and give us time for test old php script and enough time for possible rewriting of scripts.

Edited by Deny

I would like to clarify the dates for this phased roll-out. I have servers in all three groups, so I want to make sure I am prepared for each date by researching my affected scripts and testing them immediately after the upgrade.

Phase 1 - "We will begin a limited roll out of the new versions on the weekend of 11/13/2007."

** 11/13/07 is a Tuesday, not a weekend, so when will this first phase be occuring?

Phase 2 - "We will begin our second roll out one week later. The following servers will be upgraded starting at 12:01am on 11/21/2007"

** This is the Wednesday right before Thanksgiving, one of the busiest travel days of the year. Could you do this another time when people would be more available to test and correct their scripts?

Phase 3 - "Finally, we will complete the roll out on 11/28/2007 ( again starting at 12:01am) by upgrading the following servers"

** I just want to confirm this is scheduled for Wednesday, 11/28.

Also, I just want to thank you for making sure the news about this change got out to your customers by posting it to multiple forums and sending it out to the entire customer mailing list. This communication has been extremely helpful, and is greatly appreciated.

I also really appreciate that this was emailed :tchrocks:

My question is on MYSQL...is anything changing their or is that fairly seamless? Do you recommend

anything for those of us heavy database driven?

I know one of our sites is running PHP4...actually 2 of them. So the challenge is going to be

re-writing the script...and having this coincide with Thanksgiving compounds the problem. I'm going

to be traveling 11-23 to 12-3...so if the site is down or broken (I'm on server 21) I won't be able to

do anyting about it :wallbash:

How will we test the script if we aren't even on PHP 5 now? :)

Anyone know of a good scripter for PHP 5?

I am using phpBB 2.0.22 which is the latest version. However I do not know if I will need to do something to get the forum running. I am feeling lost.

phpBB 2.0.22 should work without changes after the upgrade (at least the main package, I can't speak for all of the mods).

I've already done this upgrade myself with decently modded phpBB 2.0.22 (upgrade from php 4 and mysql 4.1 to php 5 and mysql 5) and it worked flawlessly.

I plan to add a classified section to one of my websites using Noah's Classifieds from the Fantastico section of control panel in the near future. Will the change to Php5 have any effect on this product. Is there anythig I will need to do to make it compliant or will it work fine now and after the change?

Thanks,

Bob

I plan to add a classified section to one of my websites using Noah's Classifieds from the Fantastico section of control panel in the near future. Will the change to Php5 have any effect on this product. Is there anythig I will need to do to make it compliant or will it work fine now and after the change?

I would not use Noah's Classifieds. It reportedly does not work with PHP5 and MySQL5 and is basically no longer being developed. I would imagine it'll disappear off Fantastico soon.

I would not use Noah's Classifieds. It reportedly does not work with PHP5 and MySQL5 and is basically no longer being developed. I would imagine it'll disappear off Fantastico soon.

Thanks for the info, glad I checked before I got to far into this. Do you recommend anything similar that will work for me?

I would like to clarify the dates for this phased roll-out. I have servers in all three groups, so I want to make sure I am prepared for each date by researching my affected scripts and testing them immediately after the upgrade.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The dates are correct, however, the information about it being on the weekend was incorrect. I would also like to take the time to let everyone know that the posted dates are the start day and each stage will take more than day.

Anyone know of a good scripter for PHP 5?

If you want to test locally, I recommend giving WAMP a try. You can download it at http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Although I haven't tested them, there are also free tools available to help you convert to PHP5. Such as the PHP4 to PHP5 Converter at http://www.filebuzz.com/fileinfo/38763/PHP4_to_PHP5_Converter.html

Edited by TCH-Dick
converter script is not valid

Thanks for let us know about news but i'm still wonder why not leave PHP4 on server along with PHP5!?

While we do understand your concern with the migration to php5, we have made the decision not to run both versions in parallel. Since php5 is roughly 95% backwards compatible with php4, most scripts will have little to no issue with the transition. Most of the changes that broke compatibility were huge improvements in the codebase and really meant as fixes to v4, how they should have been done originally.

php5 is already 4 years old and most of the major scripts offered through fantastico and offered around the web are compatible. So while php4 will have security releases issued, it will become an unsupported platform quickly.

Although I haven't tested them, there are also free tools available to help you convert to PHP5. Such as the PHP4 to PHP5 Converter at http://www.filebuzz.com/fileinfo/38763/PHP4_to_PHP5_Converter.html

Developing of program has been discontinued and i could not find any working version of program. Do you have maybe link to working program or do you have maybe any shareware program that can help you with converting to PHP5.

I tried to search but could not find any.

php4 to php5 Converter - Discontinued

Important Note: php4 to php5 Converter has been discontinued due to some technical errors. We will release this software as soon as the errors are solved.

Is anyone aware of some script we can run that will verify the current .php scripts that we have will be compliant with version 5? I would hate to all of a sudden have to deal with several issues. Preventative maintence would be nice for planning purposes.

Thx

Developing of program has been discontinued and i could not find any working version of program. Do you have maybe link to working program or do you have maybe any shareware program that can help you with converting to PHP5.

I tried to search but could not find any.

Thanks for the heads up on the script, will dig a little deeper and see what we can find.

Is anyone aware of some script we can run that will verify the current .php scripts that we have will be compliant with version 5? I would hate to all of a sudden have to deal with several issues. Preventative maintence would be nice for planning purposes.

Thx

With WAMP or XAMPP you can create an environment on your own computer that will allow you test.

phpBB 2.0.22 should work without changes after the upgrade (at least the main package, I can't speak for all of the mods).

I've already done this upgrade myself with decently modded phpBB 2.0.22 (upgrade from php 4 and mysql 4.1 to php 5 and mysql 5) and it worked flawlessly.

Thank you very much for your welcome, and for this information.

Does anyone have any idea how this might affect phpWCMS 1.1-RC4? I know phpWCMS has a newer version (1.3.3) that to the best of my knowledge will work with the upgrades, but my boss is using the older version that is provided in Fantastico. I had been avoiding redoing the entire site up until now, but I am wondering if I will have no choice but to switch over. The newer version of phpWCMS is a bit more complicated, and he's going to expect it to be done in one night, so I've got a lot of work to do if it needs to be changed. Has anyone had any experience with phpWCMS 1.1-RC4 and PHP/MySQL 5?

Thanks ~

Typhanee

What specific version of php5 is the upgrade? I use php scripts provided by my software manufacturer and will ask them if their php4 scripts are compatible with php5. But they possibly may need to know what version of php5 it is.

Current plans are to go with the most recent version, which is Version 5.2.4

My site is going to have to be in the group of the last ones changed over. The experts at my software manufacturer said that some of my php will not work in php5. So I'll have to get some specifics & get it ready to be changed over. I see that my server is in the first group of those to be changed over 11/13 -- so my site will have to be moved to the "php4 laggers" server I guess...

Edited by Mission

Does anyone have a good link to the differences between 4 and 5 that may cause a problem for us? I'm hoping that there is something simple and not a bunch of mumbo jumbo stuff - a bullet list or summary would be great. After all the delays in upgrading to 5 for compatibility reasons I would think there's more than a couple of things changed.

The people on other forum say that php4 code is mostly compatible with php5 and rarely errors can occur but i'm pessimist and i expect a lot problems for TC clients and a lot problems for TC too. Simple because of decision to not run both version on same server for a little bit longer.

Is there by any chance, one server available now with PHP5, so we may test scripts online in the environment that we will see once upgraded? I understand that I can download server emulators and run my own PHP/MySQL environment, but it still will not be configured like TCH's and there are so many different evironment variables. I run into the same problem if I sign up for a cheap account with another host for one month. It would be very nice to have one system configured as the production systems will look available for us to load copies of scripts/databases on and test.

Or am I misunderstanding the way the PHP5 rollout will occur? Will PHP5 be installed and available on Nov 13, but not made to be the default PHP processor until January? Or is it a complete cutover on Nov 13? THe original post says "This Server" will remain online with PHP4 until January, but I can't tell which server it refers to.

THanks!

-John

Once the server is updated it will be PHP5 immediately and PHP4 will not longer be available on it.

As for a test server, there is not one to my knowledge nor plan to be before the rollout. One of the techs will correct me if I am wrong.

There will be one server left with PHP4 for those having issues migrating to PHP5 temporarily. If your account is one that is having issues it will be moved to that server to allow you more time to convert. It won't be a permanent solution.

Can you provide a realistic estimate of the expected down time for each server during this upgrade?

We will be allowing a one hour maintenance window for each server, however, the average downtime should be less than 5 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
My question is on MYSQL...is anything changing their or is that fairly seamless? Do you recommend

anything for those of us heavy database driven?

Cheryl,

You may want to look at this page on MySQL for incompatibilities in the upgrade from 4.1 to 5. I didn't see anything that I can anticipate causing me problems, but if you are "heavily database driven" you should probably look it over:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upg...g-from-4-1.html

Bill

Let me first say I've been with TCH for nearly 3 years and have been a happy customer.

Ok here's my problem. I have a heavily modified IPB 2.0.4 board that I've spent years perfecting. It's a car based board with addons like a garage script, review system, arcade and about 100 mods and features. Anyway, things were great until I just found out my you are switching all your servers to MySQL5 and PHP5. Of course a good portion of my site would be broken. I know if I upgrade to the newest IPB version it would work fine but... I'm not willing to lose all the features and mods (and my 4,500 members aren't either) we now have and many years of work to switch. Also some of the features I added are member supported with $$$ and if those features are broken my site is in trouble.

So am I best off moving to another host that still supports MySQL4 & PHP4 or is there someone that knows what I need to change in the scripts to work with PHP5/MySQL5.. I'm not an expert on this.

Thanks.

Note: I'm begging the upper ups at TCH to consider keeping a server or two with the current configuration.

There are plenty of things that could go wrong when switching from PHP4 to PHP5

One example is JPGraph - PHP4 (1.6) version simply will not work - new version (2.0) - specifically written for PHP5 must be installed - and configured properly.

So, here is my question to TCH staff. Can you give us link to PHP5's phpinfo page on your model PHP5 server - so we could see how PHP5 will be configured - and if necessary pose questions/concerns in advance?

In my experience humongous number of parameters could be mis-configured and even if configured properly could affect behavior of the existing php code; so it is better to know what to expect in advance.

The code for phpinfo page is very simple.

Please see it below.

Thanks.

><html>
<body>
<?php
echo phpinfo();
?>
</body>
</html>

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reminder. Some servers on the rollout schedule have since changed names. 301 is now grievous, for example. Should we assume that the new server names will not affect our place in line on the rollout schedule?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reminder. Some servers on the rollout schedule have since changed names. 301 is now grievous, for example. Should we assume that the new server names will not affect our place in line on the rollout schedule?

Thanks!

Great question and thanks for bringing it up!

Yes, servers such as 301(grievous) that have been migrated to our Data Center will be moved up to the first round of upgrades. I will make sure we get an up to date list posted today.

Just a reminder that we the upgrades are starting tonight and will continue through out the week until the first round of servers is completed. Once we complete a server we will update the support forum for that specific server. As always thanks for your patience and please open a ticket if you have any issues.

The following servers are scheduled for tonight:

abraxas.tchmachines.com

almania.tchmachines.com

ambria.tchmachines.com

ansek.tchmachines.com

bespin.tchmachines.com

byss.tchmachines.com

cathar.tchmachines.com

dagobah.tchmachines.com

dantooine.tchmachines.com

elom.tchmachines.com

endor.tchmachines.com

felucia.tchmachines.com

fresia.tchmachines.com

geonosis.tchmachines.com

grievous.tchmachines.com

gryphon.tchmachines.com

hansolo.tchmachines.com

hapes.tchmachines.com

hoth.tchmachines.com

ithor.tchmachines.com

jendar.tchmachines.com

kamino.tchmachines.com

korriban.tchmachines.com

lando.tchmachines.com

luke.tchmachines.com

mandalore.tchmachines.com

naboo.tchmachines.com

nubia.tchmachines.com

ophideran.tchmachines.com

applecore.snhdns.com

coruscant.snhdns.com

danuta.snhdns.com

darthvader.snhdns.com

inysh.snhdns.com

jandoon.snhdns.com

kalee.snhdns.com

kashyk.snhdns.com

ossus.tchmachines.com

palpatine.snhdns.com

plavin.tchmachines.com

quanton.tchmachines.com

r2d2.tchmachines.com

revan.tchmachines.com

saijo.tchmachines.com

sidious.tchmachines.com

tarvis.tchmachines.com

ukatis.tchmachines.com

utapau.tchmachines.com

vortex.tchmachines.com

widek.tchmachines.com

xerxes.tchmachines.com

yavin.tchmachines.com

zeltros.tchmachines.com

Just a quick note of appreciation. I have no problems whatsoever with the upgrade. It's been almost a week and things are running smoothly. TCH - y'all have done a great job! Thanx for your hard work! :)

Thanks for the kind words :)

All the prep work paid off and the upgrades have been flawless so far. We did see less issues with scripts than initially expected and the techs have been working hard to assist in updating those customers scripts that we can. We will be kicking off this weeks upgrades tomorrow night and they will go as well as the previous week (knock on wood).

Thanks again and if you do have any problems please let us know.

Thanks for the kind words :surrender:

All the prep work paid off and the upgrades have been flawless so far. We did see less issues with scripts than initially expected and the techs have been working hard to assist in updating those customers scripts that we can. We will be kicking off this weeks upgrades tomorrow night and they will go as well as the previous week (knock on wood).

Thanks again and if you do have any problems please let us know.

I'll add my $.02 as well. Server 76 was upgraded last night and I didn't even notice. Everything is working just as well as before. Good job TCH!

BTW, when will Server 76 join the other servers in Michigan?

Regards,

Dan

I'll add my $.02 as well. Server 76 was upgraded last night and I didn't even notice. Everything is working just as well as before. Good job TCH!

BTW, when will Server 76 join the other servers in Michigan?

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Server 76 actually gave us the most trouble last night so its good to hear all is working well for you. I can't give you an eta on the migration for 76 at the moment, but promise we will post it before hand.

The Php upgrade caused my Wordpress-based blog to begin giving me the following error:

Fatal Error: Allowed memory size ...

My server was upgraded yesterday and I immediately began receiving emails from users that they were having problems. The solution is to add the following line to your .htaccess file in your public_html directory:

php_value memory_limit 32000000

Please open a ticket with the help desk.

Don't know why you would be getting that, I use WordPress and am having no problems and my server was converted over a week ago.

The TOS state that TCH will not provide support for Wordpress which is why I proceeded to find a solution myself. Under what conditions will TCH assist with Wordpress related issues?

The TOS state that TCH will not provide support for Wordpress which is why I proceeded to find a solution myself. Under what conditions will TCH assist with Wordpress related issues?

For the most part we do not provide support for third party scripts, however it never hurts to ask. If it is a simply problem we usually can assist or at least point you in the proper direction.

The real task of adaptation / PHP 5.x

============================

I already had to do it on other hosting accounts and for various software.

I do not want to go into details here and for now. There is not so much to fear for PHP souce code.

But here the ugly problems:

=== empty=== has been redefined between 2 relatively recenct PHP versions. I do not know, which ones

I NEVER use in my own prgs such commands. Many or most prgs do, I removed in a major

freeware software a while ago hundreds of them (replacement by if isset or if 0 or so. )

Since the time of COBOL, computing engineers are in the philosophical battle against the various types

of NOTHING or NOT-BEING ( see Heidegger, the NICHT-SEIN... ).

See the NULL etc. in MySQL - a heritage of this - I would never work with such features.

if your PHP programs do not stay away of the old empty for variables,

you might get nothing-works-any-more problems.

=== Some other problem is if the hoster sets for PHP now GLOBALS OFF

(default of newer PHP versions, was ON earlier)

As far as I could state, TTC has after the updates left : globals ON

If the server is set to OFF , you could set them to ON in .htacess - normally.

If some security utilities are installted on a server for PHP, it will not work like ''normally''.

You will have to configure on your account something witth php.ini and .htaccess.

No need for details - looks like no need for all of this at TCH, at present.

== An additional possible problem is the disabling of error message display.

This can "normally" be settled with .htaccess , creating an error log

(I am fetching all error logs automatically every day with curl directly into my LINUX editor KATE..)

But probably not needed for TCH, at present.

=== This information tries an answer to various messages what might happen.

So this opinon might be helpful, and the kind TCH experts can comment it if there

is any important rectification to add to this text or if there are errors - I am not an epxert of this subject

and are therefore interested, too, to get rectification of errors here above, if any.

Oscommerce can have major problems with new MySQL 5.x on TCH.

=========================================================

Worldwide, there are probably now hundreds of OSCOMMERCE shops down with the message

1054 - Unknown column 'p.products_id' in 'on clause'

Place this message into the Google search field, and you will find 30 or so from them.

The very ugly problem is that there are so many variants of OSCOMMERCE - many with other brands - ,

and that individual modifications have been applied for most shops (re-writes of layout segments in the source code).

So it is a bit risky to apply standard OSCOMMERCE update patches.

I am just settling this kind of problem for an OSCOMMERCE Shop on TCH.

So I suggest that others with the same problem add their experience or Howto.

As far as I understand the problem, the modification of the definition of the

=========================================================

"join" command of MySQL is mainly concerned.

The current OSCOMMERCE 2.2x fixed it and can be downloaded.

So I will do this now, un-archive on the local LINUX PC,

will then compare the main file index.php (top level directory)

with the help of diff program.

As far as I could already state, my version of 2004 is enough recent for this way.

There are probably only some small precise differences in the source code

- like replacement in MySQL commands:

INTO;: join ( xxxxxx ) where

Hopeful that it settles the problem.

=================================

I stated in forums that the many OSCOMMERCE variants in use

will perhaps require some further small modifications - is variant-depending.

So I am opening here an opinion exchance about this.

(Or is this already done somewhere here in this forum? My keyword search for it did not supply results).

Current state of troubleshooting / OSCOMMERCE (

==========================================

First it should be said that the update strategy of TCH is how it should be done.

The valid reasons have been stated above, and I fully agree.

The problem is due to lack of backwards compatibility for PHP and MySQL.

It is not the place here to discuss this.

For OSCOMMERCE is the special additional problem the slowness of ongoing development,

a probleme already since 2003 or so, perhaps due to lack of financial user support.

There are some commercial service providers distributing OSCOMMERCE,

but their offers (own brands) would for various reasons be a difficult choice.

Past OSCOMMERCE will not any more work with new PHP 5.x and MySQL 5.x

==============================================================

The difficulties with MySQL had finally been resolved here, in these hours.

Meantime on the server also PHP had been updated, and now far more difficult problems occurr.

The best might now be to re-install - but which shop software to re-install?

====================================================

I am just checking how to optimize this decision, espec. if OSCOMMERCE now

works properly with current PHP and MySQL.

It is sure that OSCOMMERCE 3.0 will conform (announced this way on oscommerce.org).

OSCOMMERCE 3.0 is in preparation since approx. 2003. - so far no stable version.

If anybody has a good idea - please add it here.

Good news, I got it settled for the past version of OSCOMMERCE.

======================================================

My preceeding 3 posts here show the way:

- Adapt OSCOMMERCE for new MySQL (a manual source code patch).

- If necessary, adapt .htacess and php.ini so that PHP gets increased

backwards compatibility for YOUR part of shared hosting.

(I did not check if this is really required for TCH hosting)

- Believe in God and trust him for the rest. :-)

It helped. The proof, the shop is up again.

The OSCOMMERCE version within Fatastico (in the Cpanel of TCH)

======================================

It is specified as OSC 2.2 , version from 2006-08.

It requires as PHP configuration: globals ON

(OSC 2.2 from summer 2007 is the first working also with globals OFF)

I could not find out if v.2006-08 will already work with MySQL 5.x.

If there are problems, then please send a message through this forum

because I have now the solution for this kind of problems.

Thanks to TCH.

===============

The server updates was announced in time - many hosters do not.

So I had already prepared the possible solutions.

And the server updates have been done with much care - everything works.

And no compromise in favor of parallel use of old PHP versions -

I agree with this - never to look backwards in computing

I would like to say that i was pessimist regarding this upgrade but without reason. Server 103 has been updated this morning and there was only one glitch with including. Tech. support solved problem and now everything works fine.

Nice :notworthy:

I would like to know why server 315 and other servers scheduled for Phase III were upgraded overnight, days ahead of schedule. The next phase was not scheduled to begin until Wednesday, which is what I had told my clients to expect. Now I have to let them know to test their sites today because the upgrade was already done. This makes me look terribly unprofessional, and I'm very frustrated that TCH put me in this position. While I don't anticipate any issues, when you tell someone an upgrade will begin on Wednesday, then do it on Monday with no warning, it tends to upset people.

Question on this upgrade.

I'm on the Lando server and my PHP was upgraded to 5.2.4, but my SQL is still running 4.1.22(standard).

Is there a separate time for the SQL upgrades and I'm simply to inept to garner that from the emails?

Is there a day/date set for the MySQL upgrade for the Ossus and 98 servers? My domains are on those and the PHP is upgraded already. I was just wondering when the MySQL update would take place.

Great, thank you :helpsmilie:

Also, just a quick note (which is probably too late) ... for those who want to test their environments to see if the upgrade is going to mess with anything, they can get http://www.wampserver.com . Do a full backup (database & ftp) of your site, and restore it under the wampserver environment. As wampserver comes with the latest php & mysql versions, you will be able to test on your pc what will be the impact of the upgrade, and fix them prior the host upgrade occurs.

Just thought this might help in case there is anyone who hasn't been upgraded yet :)

Just a quick note on the version issue. cPanel caches the version information for PHP and MySQL in the users' home directory. Unfortunately it does not seem to be picking up the new version of MySQL even though it has been installed.

We're working on clearing the cache files across the servers so that this is no longer an issue.

I posted about this earlier this morning, but got no response, so I thought I'd try again...

I don't understand how TCH has just decided to do these upgrades "ahead of schedule" all of a sudden. When you tell people an upgrade is going to occur on or after a specific day, you need to stick with that schedule. If you're ready to do the upgrade early, it really doesn't matter. Instead, I woke up Monday morning to find multiple servers where I host sites for clients had been updated overnight -- two days before the third phase was to even have begun. There was no notice about this whatsoever. This put me in an awkward situation with my clients who were expecting the upgrade to occur later in the week.

The notification about the remaining upgrades tonight is something, but because it isn't a new thread, many people may not received the notification. It seems like TCH routinely underestimates the importance of communicating with customers. As a reseller, I have an obligation to my clients to notify them when their sites may be affected by server changes, but I'm not able to do this when TCH refuses to communicate adequately with its own customers.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem any of my clients experienced any technical issues from the upgrade, but I did have to apologize to them all, and let them know to test their sites today, despite the fact that the upgrade was scheduled for later this week. This is very frustrating, and hurts my business. I really wish TCH would listen to input like this and take communication with users more seriously.

Thanks for sharing your concerns but please note for future reference that any scheduled window for maintenance/upgrades/migrations are not set in stone and may change. We gave sufficient notice to all users to prepare for these changes and had we changed the schedule by a week I could understand the cause for concern.

We scheduled these upgrades a week apart to allow for issues on our end; since there where no issues, there was no benefit in delaying these upgrades. If you have any further concerns about this matter please open a ticket with the subject "Att: Management".

Thanks

All PHP5/Mysql5 upgrades were completed this morning and the setups reviewed through out the day. The upgrades went much smoother than expected although we did hit a couple of bumps with my scheduling changes.

I would like to thank everyone for their patience during these upgrades and thank our staff for all the extra time they put in. If you have any issues or concerns about this upgrade or your scripts, then please open a ticket and we will gladly assist you. Also note that we have provided a server with PHP4 for those that need more time to make changes, just open a ticket and request a move.

We have also pinned several fixes for commonly used scripts in our Scripting Talk forum. We will add more as we come across these fixes and please feel free to share any you may have.

The only inconvenience as some may have already mentioned is the use of mild to heavy modded php based forums is like looking for a needle in a haystack dilemma.

I still haven't resolved a couple of my forum issues, even via ticket support. :sleepy:

If you're still having issues that cannot be resolved quickly, we do have a PHP4 server available. This would allow you to prepare for PHP5 without taking down your site features.

I guess I need to learn more about php, but I had no idea that it would affect my OsCommerce cart. As a result, my store is down, along with a dozen orders, and I have no idea how to fix it.

Is there any way to fix the "fatal error" in my shop without having to start over from scratch? The idea of reloading some 1500 items with photos is a bit much. I did ask over on the OsC boards, and did download a supposed "compatibility patch" but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Guess it's my own fault, but with two jobs, I just can't keep up with all the various forums :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ummm ... well ... I was told by the folks at a phpbb support forum to post this here, so I am. Since the server that one of my two domains is on was upgraded, the left navigation panel of one of my forums is completely missing. It's just a white blank space. I didn't do anything to the files before or after the upgrade. Can someone help me maybe?