Cuil

Lisety

There's lots of buzz on the internet with cuil.com launching their new search engine. It adds a little competition to Google, which can only be a good thing. Right now they have a submission, in case you're not listed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they take away some of the market share but first it seems like they have some bugs to work out.

Hopefully they can see some success, but they still have a lot of issues to fix with their results still. Just do a search for "cobol", for example. A computer language that Cuil has apparently never heard of. ;-)

Ex-Google guys that started it caused the buzz, but the preliminary reports about it have been less than stellar.

Some of the things I searched for brought up good site results, others were black holes.

Should be interesting to see how it shakes out!

I have not seen anything impressive from this service and our previous experience with them resulted in numerous complaints to the help desk. I can only assume other hosts and webmasters took the same actions we did, which would limit their results. Please see this thread for more information - http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...640&hl=cuil

If more people become interested than those that complained, I guess we will have to reverse our actions.

Dick, I was unaware of these problems. When I check my Awstats, I don't see any record of them crawling. I gather this is because you've banned them. It's curious to me though that at least one of my sites that I host here (in my signature) is listed prominently. How could that be if they can't crawl my site? The buzz is that they might become a major player but as of yet they still have some bugs to get rid of. If they do become a major player, I hope you will lift the ban.

Edited by Lisety

It may be that they crawled your site prior to the ban or using an IP we have yet to catch. We never wish to block a major search engine in this manner but unfortunately we had too many issues with them over the past couple of years. I have attempted to contact them a couple times in the past with no response as I have seen them nail a small site(less than 50 pages) for over 2 hours. That type if activity is just ridiculous and what resulted in the ban.

I personally chalk up all of the attention towards this company as hype and doubt they will last long. Although one can never judge the success of these services and they may well become a popular alternative to Google. I'm all for new inovations if they work for what I need.

With all that said, others have already started the fun to show that Cuil has done nothing grand yet, just take a look at http://www.4hoursearch.com

*note for those of your searching for information to use cuill and cuil, as they dropped the extra L recently.

I have tried cuil and dislike it because the results leave a lot to be desired. But they can only improve.

The 4hour search is much better. Its too bad that a search (4hoursearch) of Total Choice Hosting on page 2 center colum brings up a nasty review of TCH which too bad. TCH has a very high consumer approval which is seen in these forums.

youneverknow

Dick, I asked about cuil.com on another forum because of the issues you had. Someone posted a reply that they looked on the way back machine and it was actually for sale in 2007, so it's not the same cuil that caused all the problems you experienced. Here are the links for the way back machine: 2007 and previous to that.

Can you please unblock it?

Thanks

Edited by Lisety

Yes, the domain was for sale, but whoever posted that is wrong as cuiL and cuiLL are one in the same. They were cuiLL.com - then they purchased the domain cuiL.com and changed the name - you can verify all of this by checking a few things.

Here are few facts to help:

- cuiL.com and cuiLL.com both resolve to the same content

- both domains are owned by Tom Costello

- cuiLL's bot per my thread about banning is called Twiceler, which is the same bot at http://www.cuil.com/info/webmaster_info/

- you can view wayback's details of the same information on Twiceler under the old domain at http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.cu...eler/robot.html

- a search for cuill on cuil.com returns a result for the old site and logo as cuil itself has indexed it http://www.cuil.com/search?q=cuill

- if you ping crawl-0.cuiLL.com it will return the IP 38.99.13.121, which is the first IP in the bot list at cuiL.com

I hope that is enough information to show you that I didn't make this decision on a whim and that these are indeed the same company.

As for the ban, I understand wanting to be listed in all search engines and I will look into lifting it from your server for the time being.

Dick, I really appreciate your taking the time to fully appraise me of the situation. If they're really causing problems, then you probably shouldn't lift the ban until cuil works out their kinks and becomes a real player but I appreciate your offer to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find it before but ran across it again, but here's another problem Cuil had not long after launch.

eric-schmidt.png

And that's not a doctored image. I saw those same results myself. :)

Fortunately fixed now though.