Most Liked Content

#253314 Scam Alert :: Unlimited Hosting

Posted by TCH-Blog on 19 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

In the market for a new web hosting account? If so,chances are, you will not have a hard time finding a new host for your website. In fact, you will, most likely, end up facing a plethora of choices. The largest scam in our industry is the “unlimited hosting” plans. It is time we debunk them and expose the liars in the web hosting industry.

You do not need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that servers can not actually host anything unlimited.That would be like saying youriPod can store an unlimited amount of Justin Bieber songs. We all know that it simply is not possible. These web host that claim to offer unlimited bandwidth and disk space are hiding behind their Fair Use Policy and are out right liars. They are overselling. This is the act of sellinghosting plansto clients and banking on the fact that the clients will not use the space and bandwidth. Furthermore, if the client starts using to much then the host can use their Fair Use Policy and kick the client to the curb.

If you do your research, you will notice that each overselling web host claims to offer unlimited hosting, but only as per the terms of its ‘Fair Use Policy’ – which, by the way, is often different from the Terms of Use.

Unlimited-hosting

Before signing up for these unlimited plans, it is critical that you look into the terms thatapply to these accounts. I took some time to go out and look at some web hosts that offer unlimited plans. It is shocking to see the lies these hosts spew out to their customers. These are just a few limitations that can be found in their terms of service ;

• Using a shared account as a backup/storage device is not permitted.
  • Any shared account using more than 20 gigs of disk space will be removed from our off site weekly backup.
  • Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes
  • The use of more than 25,000 inodes on any shared account may potentially result in a warning first, and if no action is taken future suspension. Every file (a webpage, image file, email, etc) on your account uses up 1 inode.
  • Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 30 seconds is prohibited.
  • Broadcast or Streaming of Live Sporting Events is prohibited.
  • Commercial Audio Streaming prohibited.

Really? I thought this was unlimited everything. Unlimited disk space as long as I dont store to many files, or you will suspend me and stop taking backups? Due dilligence, walk lightly and choose a host that does not hide behind its false promises, lies and its Terms of Service or Fair Use Policy. Determine what you will be using and find a host that will give you your desired services for a reasonable price.

We have put together a video that we hope better explains this entire Unlimited Myth and hope you enjoy watching it.

View the full article

#256627 Help With Redirect After Moving To Https

Posted by TCH-Marshal on 16 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

Hi Priti,

Https or secure url on Wordpress is a tricky thing especially when you have additional redirects on htaccess because Wordpress urls are mostly hard coded in databases with specific redirect requests in htaccess. Secure url for Wordpress can be best achieved by using additional plugins they offer purposely for this. There are many documentation and tutorials available in Worpdress support forums which you can refer about this. I would suggest you try any of those plugins or else if you wish we specifically take a look into this, open a helpdesk request with all details of your hosting account and we will advise you.

#255780 Subdomain To Domain Name Change

Posted by TCH-Thomas on 16 August 2016 - 02:59 AM

Yes and no, it depends on which hosting plan you have.

If you are on shared hosting both domains must point to the same content.

However, if you have a reseller account this is possible.

#255346 Pop Before Smtp No Longer Supported

Posted by TCH-Blog on 13 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

Many of you recently awoke to the sudden issue of not being able to send mail. The issue you were experiencing with your email was due to the “POP before SMTP” feature being automatically disabled by a cPanel update. This feature allows you to continue to send mail for a time period after successfully receiving/checking your email.

POP before SMTP is antiquated alternative method of authentication that was never officially supported nor very secure. If you are still using this method, we recommend you enable SMTP Authentication in your mail client.

We have now reverted this change and enabled the POP before SMTP feature to allow users time to make changes to thier mail client. We do currently have a time frame for how long we will continue to keep this feature active, but we will announce before it is removed.

View the full article

#255078 Network Outage

Posted by Mike McCoy on 28 June 2015 - 08:32 PM

TCH is on the case! Thanks Bala!

#255073 Network Outage

Posted by Mike McCoy on 28 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

I'm not able to load my sites as well, should I open ticket?

#255064 Network Outage

Posted by TCH-Bala on 28 June 2015 - 06:25 AM

We are currently experiencing network issue on our NOC affecting many of our servers. Our NOC team is working to get this sorted. Please give us some time.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

#254809 Page Load Times With Wordpress

Posted by TCH-Bruce on 30 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

I host several Wordpress blogs here at TCH and don't have any loading time issues.  Open a ticket with the help desk and maybe they can spot what's causing the slow down.

#254046 Outage

Posted by Head Guru on 06 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

Years and years proud customer from oversea :) Thank you guys for all the hard work. Simply the best :)

Thank you so much for your support, it means the world to us.

#253760 Outage :: Vps Servers

Posted by TCH-Bala on 27 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

The first server to be successfully migrated to our new vps setup is vps102. All account are transferred and verified working fine from the new box. Please note that we have retained the hostname and IP on the new box as well.

#253529 Shared Hosting Sales Question

Posted by pooja on 26 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hello, I am Pooja, from Mumbai, India.
I don't know, whether this is the right section to post on not, but I have got one question related to Shared Hosting Package.

One friend of mine is running an education website **redacted** she is a teacher and want to know a good but shared hosting provider. She asked me to help to get one and transfer this website to new servers. I have heard good things about TotalChoice Hosting, so I planned to move here.

Now my question is can I get a dedicated IP address and SSL certificate with Shared Hosting? And what about the successful transfer of files and database.
If yes then how much it costs extra?

Please help,
Regards,
Pooja. 

#253464 How To Change The Password Of Cpanel And Email Accounts

Posted by TCH-Alex on 22 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

Resetting cPanel password

1. If you know the current password;

* Log into your cPanel account using http://yourdomain:2082 or https://yourdomain:2083
* In the Preferences section, click Change Password.
* Enter your current password
* Enter your new password

[You can click the Password Generator link to have a strong password generated for you]
* Re-enter new password for verification
* Click the: Change your password now! button. Log out, and then log back in with the new password.

2. If you are not sure the current password;

You can reset the cPanel password from the login page itself, if you have already been added a contact email on cPanel.

* To to login into your cPanel account using http://yourdomain:2082 or https://yourdomain:2083

* Cancel login window and click on Reset Password

* Enter you cPanel user and click on Reset Password

* The server will send a confirmation code to the account’s registered email address

* Enter this code, or click the link in the email, to complete the password reset.

3. If you are not sure the password and automated password reset option is not working for some reason, you can reset the cPanel password from billing control panel

* Once logged in, click on Services then My Services.
* Then go to the right hand side and click View Details.
* Then select the Change Password tab, from here you can change your cPanel password

If you are not able to reset the password through any of the methods mentioned above, please submit a support ticket to the helpdesk

Resetting the password of email accounts

* Log into your cPanel account using http://yourdomain:2082 or https://yourdomain:2083

* Click the Email Accounts icon

* Click Change Password next to the appropriate email account.
* Type your new password into the Password box.
* Confirm your new password in the Password (again) box.
  [You can click the Password Generator link to have a strong password generated for you]
* Click Change Password to store the new password.
* If you do not wish to change the password, click cancel.

Be sure to change the password of the email account on your mail program, once you reset the password of your email through cPanel.

#253278 Will We Have Access To The New Paper Lantern Theme?

Posted by TCH-Dick on 10 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hi telcor,

I apologize that no one has responded here quickly.

The short answer is at the moment, no this theme is not available enabled on our shared/reseller hosting plans.

The reason for this is that the paper lantern is and will remain a "Work in Progress" for cPanel for what appears to be at least a couple months. Part of me wants to applaud cPanel for jumping in with both feet on this theme, however,  we really don't care to force our clients to be guinea pigs after watching the X4 theme development being outright halted in January.

With that said, If you really want to take it for a spin, just open a ticket and we will gladly get you switched over to the new theme.

#253122 Won't Go Anywhere Else...........

Posted by TCH-Alex on 19 January 2014 - 07:28 AM

Thank you for the kind words, Chip :)

#252856 Imap Support?

Posted by TCH-Alex on 02 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

Your mail server support both pop3 and imap protocol. You just need to use your favorite mail client to configure your mail on imap protocol.

Here is the settings you required;

Secure SSL/TLS Settings

Username:    you@yourdomain.org
Password:     Use the email account’s password.
Incoming Server:    butterscotch.tchmachines.com
IMAP Port: 993
POP3 Port: 995
Outgoing Server:    butterscotch.tchmachines.com
SMTP Port: 465

Authentication is required for IMAP, POP3, and SMTP.

If you have any problems to access the mails on imap, please submit a ticket to the help desk.

#252335 Noc Outage

Posted by soned on 20 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

i have been with TCH for 10 years.  TCH is the best.  what happened was unexpected and only brings out the best in TCH.

and these things do happen in other NOCs as well.  I have a couple of servers at theplanet(now softlayer) and my server there was also affected by their power outage (short circuit) which i think is more preventable than a lightning strike.  Here is the article on the >1 day power outage at theplanet which my server was a part of:

http://www.datacente...s-major-outage/

#252063 Spam Assasin?

Posted by rfrassetti on 21 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Great thank you I will do that.

#251897 Inysh Server Down A Lot Lately

Posted by TCH-Dick on 15 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

You are correct, and this server has been rebooted 3 times this month due to memory issues. Prior to this month there were network issues that affected everyone, which is why we started network upgrades.

We have scheduled a hardware check this week for Inysh to see what we can do to resolve this.

#251429 Happy Birthday Terri!

Posted by TCH-Bala on 21 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Very Many Happy Returns Of The Day, Terri ! :)

#251425 Happy Birthday Terri!

Posted by Head Guru on 21 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

It's Terri Birthday.  Man I want CAKE TOOOO

Happy Birthday Terri !!