Computer Stalling ...

Mrs. Muddled

I just replaced a pair of 512 sticks of RAM in this new computer with a pair of 1 MG sticks.

So, silly me, I thought my computer would be amazingly fast with all that new RAM.

Wrong. What I find now is an annoying pause as I type. It lasts for about four seconds. I lose a couple of letters and have to wait for the computer to type them.

What do you suppose is causing this delay? It's rather annoying. I've never had this problem before. For a minute there I thought it was only happening in Windows Mail ... but it is also happening on your site.

Here I am with this brand spanking new computer and I have to tell ya ... it's not one bit better than the one I'm giving away. There is zero improvement in speed . . . and the fact that it can't keep up with the speed of my typing . . . . what a disappointment!

Could be something wrong with the new RAM, I guess. Have you re-installed the old sticks to see if it goes away?

Delays like that can be caused by a video problem. If you have a plug-in video card (rather than on-board) maybe you disturbed it when changing RAM?

BTW, I did the same upgrade on my Dell (1Gb -> 2Gb) and the only thing that appeared to run a little faster was SQL Server. Most applications run as fast as they're going to in 1 Gb, unless you have a lot of apps open at once. And faster boot? - forget it.

Edited by stevesh

I've had this problem for quite some time. I've even gone so far as to change the batteries in my wireless keyboard thinking that might solve it but it didn't. I have made no changes to my system that may have precipitated the delays while typing and I've learned to live with it, as frustrating as it is.

Make sure Vista's speech/voice recognition is disabled.

Check the programs running in the background and kill those you don't need.

If you have installed any new antivirus/spyware detection/spell checkers then try disabling those.

Install latest keyboard driver.

Try a different keyboard, different brand, different connection type(usb vs ps2 vice versa).

If all that fails then kick the crap out of it to relieve your frustration.

You are hilarious!!! I definitely liked your last suggestion best. I relate well to violence.

So, I ran my virus checker through last night after I turned the thing off and back on, and this morning I am typing away at the speed of sound once again ... and so far so good. Go figure? There is no sign of virus etc.

I'm going to run an online virus checker through it now, just to make sure my Shaw Secure isn't missing something.

Bloody computers!

Could be something wrong with the new RAM, I guess. Have you re-installed the old sticks to see if it goes away?

Oh Steve!!! That would mean I'd have to haul this bloody thing out from under the desk and take it all apart again. Yechhhhh!!! Do you know what a production that is for me? I HATE doing that!!! I'd rather exhaust all other avenues first.

I'm going to start with kicking the crap out of it.

I find that increasing the ram doesn't increase speed except when you

1) are editing large graphic files

2) have lots of programs open

How I explain Ram, Front Bus Speed and Hard disk:

Ram = how big your desk area is. Very little ram is like working on a typing table/tv tray. Enough room to have one or two files open. Increasing the ram makes your desk area become larger so you can now have MANY files open at the same time. 2gb brings your desk area to the size of a large office desk. 4gb is a huge conference table!

Hard Disk = Filing room with lots of file cabinets in it. The larger it is, the more you can store on it.

Front Bus Speed = This is the door between your desk and the file room. The faster this speed is, the faster you can get in and out of the file room. Slower speeds, you have to turn the knob on the door and sometimes wait while someone else is at the cabinets. If you have a slow speed, you have to slow down to save your files. If you have a higher speed, your oorway has a quick swinging door, allowing traffic to move faster without slowing anything down.

SO... The slow down/speed comes when you are opening/closing/saving files. With very little ram, you constantly have to go back and forth from your desktop (RAM) to your file cabinet (your hard disk). With lots of RAM, you don't have to make that trip quite so often, essentially speeding up the day to day functions, but not where you can see a speed difference.

If you are running so slowly I would expect that your resources are being taken up:

1) with programs running in the background (downloading updates, installing updates, checking for updates, spyware, extra programs). Check what is starting when you start the machine. Chances are you have many programs that will start when the machine starts and are not necessary. They use resources "just in case" the program will be used. If you are not going to be using it when you start the machine, why have it running in the background?

2) spyware or some other "hidden" software using up your resources.

3) ram is not well seated. Take the sticks out and put back in. Check your PROPERTIES and see if all your ram is loading. You may only have one stick reading.

4) bad ram/incompatible ram.

If all that fails then kick the crap out of it to relieve your frustration.

This is the best advice about computers I have read in a while!

Edited by Samrc

Thanks Sam and everyone.

That is a very good explanation Sam.

I wrote a post this morning re your comments. Have absolutely no idea where it went.

• 5 months later...

I have since discovered that problem was most likely caused because ShawSecure was doing its full scan. It still happens once in a blue moon.

Edited by Mrs. Muddled