Help ! New Customer In Big Trouble !

mangla_nsit

Im a new customer at TCH and the past 24 hrs have been hell. :shutup:

Apart from the time zone difference, support (via helpdesk tickets) has been very slow and buggy.

Ive just realised that my previous webhosts were using version MySql 4.1.13 while you guys at TCH are using MySql 4.0.22 which is incompatible with the IPB forum software that IM using !

Please help me as Ive (stupidly enough) changed DNS info and my site has been down for quite a while now.

Im posting at a public forum cause the support system seems to be too clogged or maybe clueless ;)

Help !

The main problem Im facing is with respect to timestamps !

>timestamp NOT NULL default CURRENT_TIMESTAMP on update CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,

throws up errors when restoring database ! while it appears many times in the backup :(

Edited by mangla_nsit

Apart from the time zone difference, support (via helpdesk tickets) has been very slow and buggy.

Im posting at a public forum cause the support system seems to be too clogged or maybe clueless :shutup:

I doubt the helpdesk techs are clogged or clueless - they are some top class people that are a great help to many daily.

The truth of it is that since TCH's techs don't support third party scripts that it has pushed your ticket to a lower priority than other requests they have.

I can't speak for them but I'd think that the MySQL will not be updated quickly because there must be testing and they won't risk crashing other customers with properly working scripts for another running a version of IPB that requires a newer database version.

While I'm not terribly familiar with IPB, I am a programmer and my advice is to try to find an older version you can downgrade to because as soon as you fix one problem you'll probably uncover another problem since the version you are running depends on having 4.1 and we are running 4.0 on the server.

I don't know if the techs can help with a MySQL upgrade so please look for the helpdesk ticket to be answered.

I'm sorry you have had such a rough transition to your new home and maybe others here in the forums have done what you are trying and can help as well.

Welcome to the forums, mangla_nsit! :shutup:

Insulting and complaining about the people you want help from is not a good way to get help with your issues. ;) With that said...

Ive just realised that my previous webhosts were using version MySql 4.1.13 while you guys at TCH are using MySql 4.0.22 which is incompatible with the IPB forum software that IM using !

This statement is not accurate. IPB is compatible with both MySQL 4.0.x and 4.1.x. The problem here is that you are trying to import a MySQL 4.1.x database into a MySQL 4.0.x server, which generally will not work.

You need to re-export your database from your old hosting account, making sure that the export is downgraded for use with a MySQL 4.0.x server. The MySQL documentation describes one method for exporting a downgraded database. If you phpMyAdmin available on your old hosting account, it may include the option to export a database and downgrade it to MySQL 4.0.

The main problem Im facing is with respect to timestamps !

>timestamp NOT NULL default CURRENT_TIMESTAMP on update CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,

throws up errors when restoring database ! while it appears many times in the backup :(

That is one of the incompatibilites between MySQL 4.0 and 4.1 (but by no means the only one):

Changes in release 4.1.0

* Warning: Incompatible change! TIMESTAMP is now returned as a string of type 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS' and different timestamp lengths are not supported.

This change was necessary for SQL standards compliance. In a future version, a further change will be made (backward compatible with this change), allowing the timestamp length to indicate the desired number of digits of fractions of a second.

In MySQL 4.0, timestamps are in the format of 'YYYYMMDDHHMMSS'. These formats are not compatible. I would fully expect errors to occur when importing timestamps in MySQL 4.1 format into a MySQL 4.0 database.

There is nothing the Help Desk can do to assist you with this issue - they have no means to downgrade your data so it can be imported into a MySQL 4.0 server. You need to re-export and downgrade your data from your old hosting account while you still can. Otherwise, you are pretty much stuck. :(

Im sorry guys if Ive been rude :) Clarification: I never doubted the calibre of the TCH support team, but I thought maybe they had been unable to invest insufficient time to analyse my problem completely. Internet @ slow speeds and database restoration issues can be really frustating and I think I went overboard with expectations.

Its not the best way to start a (hopefully) long term relationship but I hope you all understand :P

Anyway, Ive resoled the issue stated above by simply removing the timestamp line from all the table backups and the forums seem to be running without a problem :)

Apart from this, TCH rocks ! not only am I getting twice the specs of my prvious hosting account, the access speeds have improved tremendously!

Server 92 rockz ! :P