What does Page Rank Have To Do With My Index?

SEO

A fellow member writes:

I have noticed that there are TONS more hits on the index page of my site than the rest of the site. This tells me I need links from index to the other pages to get them spidered, but it makes me wonder this:

Should I make sure the index has different/fresh spider food on it every time they crawl it that maybe points to different parts of my site or would this make it look like a doorway that would get rejected?

Just trying to understand all I know about Googlebot. Thanks for any help you can give on this issue.

By design (if you are considering search engine optimization), one wants one prominent page to receive most of the external links and this is usually the index page. Then your index page 'feeds' the rest of the site's pages. The higher the PageRank of your index page, the higher the PageRank will be for internal pages. In addition, external links pointing directly to internal pages will contribute to their PageRank.

I have mentioned several times in other threads and writings how internal link structure is very important in the design of your site. This deals directly with this subject… distributing PageRank throughout your site via internal linkage. Now, I can not give any specifics because ideal internal structure for a given site is specific to the details/characteristics of that given site. I generally recommend adding a site map to a home page, which will allow links to all pages within the site (but again, this is 'general' and does not apply to all situations/sites). This aids in both PageRank distribution but more importantly, complete site indexing.

Should I make sure the index has different/fresh spider food on it every time they crawl it that maybe points to different parts of my site or would this make it look like a doorway that would get rejected?

Several points:

1. No, this is not a doorway page. A doorway page is a completely separate page that feeds another page via a redirect. As you noted, this is a serious no-no.

2. Fresh content is always advised, but for 'other' reasons.

3. No, do not alter your internal link structure on a routine basis. For the sake of conversation, let us say you have one link that you will routinely change which will point to a different internal page. Each time you change the link, you will 'feed' PageRank to the new page but the PageRank of the old page will be reduced (by the same amount). Ideally, sets up your internal structure to best fit your particular situation and have that structure remain constant. I know this is not giving you concrete advice of how to actually do that, but as I said, it is unique to each and every site.

Hope this helps (somewhat).