Can You Partition A Raid 5 Setup?

Joaquin

Hi there,

My boss is getting a new laptop and is getting a RAID 5 configuration on it. For whatever reason he likes to partition his drive normally to have a partition for the OS and programs, one for data and another for a scratch drive. My question is, are you still able to partition the drive? From what I figure, since he is getting 3 identicle SATA 200gb drives and with RAID 5 this should reduce the disk space by one of the drives leaving a 400gb drive? Would he be able to partition this 400gb? (assuming my 400gb assumption is correct).

Thanks in advance.

Yes. You can partition the RAID 5 array the same way you'd partition a single 400 GB drive. So slice and dice away! :clapping:

But man... RAID 5 in a laptop? Nice! Although how longs the battery life in that thing while powering a raid array, and how big is that thing?

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I know, I know, seems like overkill but my boss is one of those guys who has to have the latest and greatest. Once he found out about RAID and found a company that puts it on laptops, he was hooked. I guess this laptop company is actually in Michigan but I had never heard of them, Mtech Laptops? Ever heard of them?

http://www.mtechlaptops.com/specifications/mtechd900c.htm

Ya he is aware it's not going to have more than an hour of battery, ordered a spare to go along with it and yes I guess it is fairly heavy as well. You know how it goes, there's no talking the boss out of what he thinks he wants lol!

Yea, I'm not a stranger to big laptops since I bought the Dell XPS Gen 2 laptop a few years ago that I still use for gaming, which comes in at just over 9 lbs. But that mtech is basically 12 lbs. Who needs a gym membership after carrying that around all day? :clapping: