Hello My Name Is Bill Kish...

Head Guru

Bill,

Welcome to this group, and congratulations on the first step on your road to recovery from being an IE user....

There are many former IE users amongst us, who are happy to admit their previous IE tendencies, but have got past the withdrawal symptoms and now happily work in a safer environment of FireFox.

Hi Bill ...

My name is Bill too ... and I have been where you are.

It is scarey at first, but while you may at first feel like you are giving something up, you are actually gaining new fredom. Your friends will thank you. Your family will thank you.

For some, you will find, their stories are a very sad tale, littered with attempt to cover up what they were afraid to admit ... that they needed to stop this bad habbit ... once and for all.

I have been recovering now for two years. Still, to this day, I find I do things occasionally that remind me of my old ways.

Welcome to the growing group of people who have walked in your shoes. My you be comforted that you are not alone.

:)

Edited by HCSuperStores

Bill,

You are a bigger man than I. I have been slowly making my way from IE for some time, while I am finding less use for it, I still find myself leaning towards it out of habit. I have a feeling that soon I will be proud to say that I too will be free of its grasp.

Cold turkey is hard, I wish they had a patch for this.

Congratulations Bill! :)

I started using Mozilla back in the M17 days (1999?). Back then it was slow, clunky, ugly, and a downright pain to keep from crashing on Windows 98 (which was no prize piece itself either). I watched the progress for many years all the way up until Mozilla 1.0 was finally released! What a joyous moment! I tried Phoenix (what early early versions of Firefox were called for those of you who don't know/remember), but didn't find much use for it. Then they re-branded it as Firebird... it was getting a bit better. I began using it full-time when Mozilla announced that it would be the next-gen release, and the suite was going to be going away. Somewhere in there they re-branded it (yet again) to Firefox.

I have since switched to Opera, however on those occasional sites (like my bank) that don't play at all with Opera (I can deal with those that don't play nice, but there are a few that refuse to work with Opera), I still fire up Firefox. I do use Thunderbird for most of my email though (however I use M2 (Opera's built-in email client) for my TCH hosted domain emails).

At any rate, sorry for the long rant. Enjoy it! It honestly is much better than IE.

Hi Bill...

Great start but you must know that your journey will not be an easy one. All your old friends will tell you that you must go back, that you are not... compatible any more.

You must cut yourself off from those who would have you revert back to your old ways telling you "You must use IE 6 or higher to access this site". Let them know that you have turned over a new leaf in life and you are not going back!

:)

Meh

I tried firefox and didnt like it, I couldnt find a way to customize the scrolly bar thingy!

I am happy with Internet Explorer for the moment - until Firefox makes some changes and accepts customized scrollys into their standards!

The "colored scrolly thingy" is something unique to IE. It is not part of any standard and will not work on any other browser I know of. It's something they added, a gimick if you will, to get people to put all that work into their websites for aesthetics and then add a note "Best viewed in IE" so they can sucker more people into using IE.

For those of you that can't get 100% off IE, there's a handy little Firefox extension called IE View that allows you to open any page or link in IE from Firefox by using your right-click menu. (Good when you're visiting a non-standards-compliant site, like those that use colored scrolly thingys. Or just about anything on MySpace.) You can also add sites to an "always view in IE" list and they will automatically open in IE when you go.

What took you so long? I've been using FF since 1.0 (can't compare to Aaron though) and have never looked back. We have a few intranet sites at work where I have to use it but that's it. In those cases I just tell FF to call IE to open for those intranet sites (via the IE View plug-in).

When my fiancee bought a new laptop that was one of the first things I installed for her. She uses it instead of IE now too (except for her banking site...$$%$$%^$#$ bank).

A list of must have extensions:

Forecast Fox

del.icio.us

Backpack Pages

IE View

Web Developer

What took you so long? I've been using FF since 1.0 (can't compare to Aaron though) and have never looked back. We have a few intranet sites at work where I have to use it but that's it. In those cases I just tell FF to call IE to open for those intranet sites (via the IE View plug-in).

When my fiancee bought a new laptop that was one of the first things I installed for her. She uses it instead of IE now too (except for her banking site...$$%$$%^$#$ bank).

A list of must have extensions:

Forecast Fox

del.icio.us

Backpack Pages

IE View

Web Developer

I do not like forecast fox, I use weather.com, and another nice one is

crash recovery

restart FF

adblock plus

roboform

If the stress over switching gets too bad, there are extensions for Firefox that allow you to see the site as you would in IE :lol: I have to do that sometimes, since some sites aren't coded with completely compliant coding.

-and I kow that last sentence made no sense whatsoever-

• 4 weeks later...
If the stress over switching gets too bad, there are extensions for Firefox that allow you to see the site as you would in IE :) I have to do that sometimes, since some sites aren't coded with completely compliant coding.

-and I kow that last sentence made no sense whatsoever-

Yeah, believe that button says "W3C Standards Compliance OFF"

I haven't used IE in a long, long time. And since I run Linux exclusively on my desktop and laptop, I never will again. I've used Firefox since the Phoenix days, as well.

I'm a Mozilla Firefox user too... and I love it! Now I'm totally addicted to tabbed browsing. :)

I hate it when there are too many buttons on my task bar, especially when I have several applications and MSN messenger on, and are chatting with a few people at once... and then if I chat with too many people, they all collapse to one button, then switching between windows becomes so bloody difficult. :)

I'm utterly reliant on Gmail Manager, and have ForecastFox too (more for at-a-glance forecast). There are lots more other extensions too... I miss "Hotmail Tabs", which stopped working with v1.5... too bad the developer didn't release an updated version. :wallbash:

Yeah, believe that button says "W3C Standards Compliance OFF"

:) You said it! Too bad browsers like IE do little "cool" (non standard) things like colored scroll bars that makes people think other browsers are broken. I keep IE just because some sites won't work without it - like the helpdesk web portal at work - but I never use it by choice.

That's what's great about open source / freeware - we have choices and we can each go with what we like best!

For those of you that can't get 100% off IE, there's a handy little Firefox extension called IE View that allows you to open any page or link in IE from Firefox by using your right-click menu. (Good when you're visiting a non-standards-compliant site, like those that use colored scrolly thingys. Or just about anything on MySpace.) You can also add sites to an "always view in IE" list and they will automatically open in IE when you go.

yep, i use this, well ony 1 site needs it for me :wallbash: but its a very handy plugin!

I use both. and I do have the plugin to view in IE. I don't think you will see IE become the minority anytime soon. As long as MS has 80% of the market share then any business that has an online presence and wants customers are going to be sure the sites displays correctly in IE, which means some may not in Firefox.

fire fox is spreading and its getting better i love it. like i say i have ecountered 2 sites that hate firefox

odeon.co.uk - they had poor javascript which only worked in IE, new design now so they acknowledge that IE isnt the be all end all

virgin.com/mobile - the menu and tables often go funny, but they are making a new site to be let out end of may

standards are changing, one reason i like FF is simply the add ons and gadgets :) and what i hate now is those ad freaks have managed to get some popups working with IE, but i have used adblock to ban these marketing traffic rubbish sites :D

Once you start getting comfy with Firefox, then you should get Thunderbird. Once installed, it can move all your settings and contacts from Outlook Express.

Then and only then will you be really cured.

I use Incredimail ;) I love the program. I like the idea of being able to have custom stats. Comes in handy when doing e-mails for updates and such :cool2:

Firefox to me offers more, and i think microsoft the theiving little........

well they nicked half of Firefox :thumbup: such as right click options are the same, controls are the same.

but MS being the biggest fish in the pond think they can do anything, i mean if you had an idea, ms copied it and you sued they would be dragged through the smelliest of mess and still come out smelling of roses

*TCH-Samrc was thinking (but not suggesting) "tell me how you really feel" :thumbup:

• 8 years later...

Bill, I'd like to take you up on your offer to have customers get in touch with you when we have problems with Total Choice. I can't figure out how to contact you, though, other than through this form. How can I be in touch with you more directly?

Thanks,

Bridget

Like Bruce stated.

Looking forward to talking to you.

Bill, I'd like to take you up on your offer to have customers get in touch with you when we have problems with Total Choice. I can't figure out how to contact you, though, other than through this form. How can I be in touch with you more directly?

Thanks,

Bridget

• 4 months later...