Trying To Transfer My Domain To Tch

kayaker

I am trying to transfer my domain to TCH. I have unlocked it at registernames.com and requested an authorization code, which I need to complete the transfer with TCH. A page comes up telling me my domain doesn't need an authorization code. If I'm told by TCH that I need an authorization code, and told by registernames.com that I don't need one, what am I to do? Is this just a way for registernames.com to keep themselves as the registrar? Do I have to wait for the domain to expire and then register it as a new domain with TCH? This is very frustrating.

Karen

That is what I've been doing. When I ask to unlock the domain, it tells me that it is already unlocked. Then when I go to retrieve the authorization code I get this message:

"Request Authorization Code Results

Authorization codes are sent to the owner of the domain via email.

***mydomain***.COM This domain does not require a transfer authorization code"

What am I supposed to do with that? I can't transfer to TCH without the authorization code, and registernames.com tells me I don't need one!

Completely befuddled.

Karen

Ok, please try to go to the register site mentioned in your initial post, then click support and then click "6. How do I retrieve an authorization (or EPP) code for my domain(s)?" in the top 10 questions.

Edited by kayaker

Have you followed the steps correctly?

The following will walk you through retrieving an authorization (or EPP) code for your domain(s):

1. Login to your account

2. Click Manage Domains

3. From Step 1: Select A Domain Management Task, select Unlock these domains - to allow transfers

4. From Step 2: Choose One Or More Domains By Checking The Boxes, select the domain(s) you wish to unlock

5. Click Manage Domains

6. You will receive a confirmation page indicating the domain(s) has been successfully unlocked

7. Click Return to Account Management

8. From Step 1: Select A Domain Management Task, select Retrieve authorization code

9. From Step 2: Choose One Or More Domains By Checking The Boxes, select the domain(s) you need an authorization code for

10. Click Manage Domains

11. You will receive a confirmation page indicating the authorization code(s) have been emailed for the selected domain(s)

If the email address listed on the confirmation page is no longer valid, you will need to update the Domain Owner email address of record and repeat the above process.

If you don't need to unlock the domain then don't do that, move to step 7 and make sure your email address is correct as well for notification about your domain.

How long have you got before your domain name registration expires, I think there is a 30 day limit prior to that ending that domains can't be transferred from memory, one reason I use GoDaddy for my Domain Name Registrations, that way you are pretty safe, being one of the biggest in the business.

I had a similar difficulties with getting the release of a domain name from a registrar a couple of times, took ages to sort out.

Hope that helps.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...