Deleting Unapproved Comment Spam

moogie

Is there a quick way to delete unapproved comment SPAM? Going about it the normal way takes a really long time and he (husband) had nearly 32,000 of them (I've trimmed it down to about 31K.

He's still using version 3.17.

I don't remember what filtering tools exist in MT 3.17. At some point (MT 3.2, I think), Six Apart seriously upgraded the search and filtering tools and you'd be able to filter by approved or unapproved comments. That said, deleting thousands of comments is still going to be time consuming. It may be easier to do through directly in the mySQL database, but I'm not sure how.

As far as avoiding spam in the first place, I agree that an upgrade is in order, but don't listed to Bruce (he and I have a friendly MT vs. WP thing going on here), there's no need to go to WordPress. :-D

Upgrade to MT 3.2 at least and get the Ccode / Tcode plugin. I've been using it for several months now and haven't gotten a single spam comment or trackback since. The spam comments don't even make it to MT's SpamLookup plugin (also new in MT 3.2, I think) for processing. I've been using MT for 3+ years since version 2.661 and tried many anti-spam techniques. This has been the absolute best, every bit as good as Spam Karma.