Cutesite Builder (csb) Has Been Discontinued

GlobalSCAPE will no longer have a legal license agreement to continue to develop or to sell the CSB products!

If you are using CSB 3 or 4 and may be interested in the final version of the software (offers some nice new features), get it now because the last day that GlobalSCAPE can sell it to you is June 30, 2006! Even if you are not ready to upgrade yet but might want it, buy now or lose out on that last version!

June 9, 2006: Further Sales of CuteSITE Builder to be Discontinued

Sales of CuteSITE Builder will be discontinued on June 30, 2006. After that time, CuteSITE Builder will no longer be available for purchase. GlobalSCAPE based this decision on an expiring agreement with Web.com (formerly known as Interland/Trellix) that has not been renewed.

• If you purchase CuteSITE Builder before June 30, 2006, you may continue using it indefinitely.

• Upgrades to CuteSITE Builder 5 will no longer be available after June 30, 2006.

• Existing support agreements will be honored until they expire.

• Online support resources and the CuteSITE Builder User Forum will remain available through July 1, 2007 at a minimum.

• The CuteSITE Builder Feedback Form Server will remain operational through July 1, 2008 at a minimum.

• Registration and activation services for existing licenses will remain available indefinitely.

• Although CuteSITE Builder is discontinued, it remains protected under copyright laws and the End User License Agreement.

The official notice is posted here.

And ongoing discussion thread on topic is here.

CSB started life as another program called Trellix. The company that started the program was bought out by another company who then LEASED the rights to the program to GlobalSCAPE. GlobalSCAPE changed the name and released the program under the name CuteSITE Builder (CSB). Now after several years, and 3 versions of the CSB program the current OWNERS of the software web.com have not allowed GlobalSCAPE to continue to lease the software. Though there are many spectulated reasons for the situation one of the most obvious is that web.com offers the ONLINE version of Trellix and probably doesn't want any further confusion with the old Trellix pc program!

SO...What does this mean to the users of CSB?

1) You can only purchase CSB up until June 30, 2006 then GlobalSCAPE must stop selling it. This is bad news for anyone wishing to upgrade after June 30, 2006 because they will be stuck with the version they have.

2) GlobalSCAPE can and will continue to SUPPORT the program they have been selling for years in a few ways as stated in their announcement. For example, if you have CSB processed forms on your site they will continue to work for at LEAST a couple more years through their form server. The user forum and the knowledge base will be available for AT LEAST another year.

3) The program will continue to work in your pc and can be reinstalled if necessary onto another computer in the future. GlobalSCAPE says "Registration and activation services for existing licenses will remain available indefinitely." so that is no problem either.

4) Whether or not GlobalSCAPE is selling CSB to new users, YOUR COPY will continue to generate HTML that browsers can read and interpret. Your web pages will not suddenly break any time soon! Browsers are moving forward in capabilities but that does not mean that within the next year or two people will not be able to view your sites! Browsers must be backward compatible so that millions of sites do not suddenly become inoperable at the same time!

5) There is no immediate need to run off to another program! If you want to try other things, that's fine go ahead. But don't do it out of panic and worry as that is not at all necessary! Learning HTML is a good idea but working with another WYSIWYG program would be nice. NVU might fit that just fine.

6) There are two UNOFFICIAL support sites for CSB/Trellix and both are still accessible. I can definitely tell you that samisite.com (my tutorial site) is not going anywhere! KW's other support site csbsupport.com has been around longer than mine! Don't know his plans but I expect his site will remain up too.

• 1 month later...

Mission, the version of the program you have will continue to work. You can still edit your current site, add subdirectories and even build new sites with it.

You can take your time looking for and testing other programs til you find one you like, one that fits your needs as well as CSB. No hurry or worry on this. Many of use continue to use it and find it useful.

• 2 weeks later...
Mission, the version of the program you have will continue to work. You can still edit your current site, add subdirectories and even build new sites with it.

You can take your time looking for and testing other programs til you find one you like, one that fits your needs as well as CSB. No hurry or worry on this. Many of use continue to use it and find it useful.

I've been using CSB since it came on my HP computer as Trellix in the late 90's. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to create my own web sites. I am using CSB's built-in form for newsletter subscription requests. So I guess I'll have to find a script or something for those signing up for my newsletter.

TCH-Don wrote: Of course its also a good idea to have other ways to publish, like learning html :)

If only there were 57 hours in a day and I could still get enough sleep... :) I already do everything for my site as it is, plus I'm writing a book, do a weekly podcast, all the tech troubleshooting for the site as well as the network, legal follow-up, radio station programming, all audio & image editing, plus work a day job 26 miles from where I live. Learning html is not on my urgent list -- especially since there was a tool that made everything easy for me (CSB). Although I have learned to do some "under the hood" things concerning the web site through the years, outside of the Trellix/CSB basics, I generally don't have time to do anything but master what I've already learned.

• 9 months later...

A question to all of those who used to work with CSB forms.

It has stopped working during these last 2 weeks. Now I know I HAVE to find some other program/function in order to my visitors to sign for my newsletters.

Please, what do you advise for a complete HTML, PHP, JAVA...DUMMY?

Some people have advised to use Ultimate Form Mail ... but that´s too dificult for a dummy.

Is there something even more friendly than UFM?

Thanks a lot.

Weiser

Edited by weiser

Personally I use Dada mail but you will find PHP List in Fantastico so you just need to click it to have it installed for you. There's probably even a way of transferring your list across to it. You would have to alter the template to fit your site though.

CSB forms are still working. The server will continue to process forms until at least July 1, 2008.

I still have working forms on my own site and others using CSB forms and have received forms today and this week from them.

There are lots of form software that can be used. I like PHP scripts for forms as they often have more security measures built in to keep your site safe from spammers.

[i posted this on the samisite.com forum for CSB users:]

- Replace the CSB form. Either:

use a different 3rd party form processor. Lots of them. Some paid, some free. These sites would act like the GlobalSCAPE server does, sending your form information through thier server on to your email addy. One of these services, cutandpastescripts.com is demonstrated here: h**p://www.samisite.com/test-csb/cutnpasteform.htm.

Another that I have not tried but looks promising is h**p://www.responders.com/ and follows the same concept.

OR

Install a script on your own site. Make sure the form script you choose has protections against inserted codes and fields. This is the best long term solution!

Run a form script on your OWN website to process forms. Bright side...more control, more options. Down side...You must install the script and you must maintain control or risk your site being pulled down by the host for spamming! You must make sure the script you use is SECURE. If it can be broken and used to send several thousand emails by a spambot, you are responsible for the scripts you run. You must update and stay on guard.

- Use a CGI/Perl type form script. Lots are free...and very insecure! Some are paid with more security.

- Use a PHP type form script. In my opinion, this is the BEST option. So far this offers the best protection from spambots. MANY MANY MANY scripts offered. Go to HOTSCRIPTS.COM to find a suitable script.

Basically the FORM code is the same...Same input fields for your visitor and they would not see a difference that way. But the code you would purchase (if your host allows a PHP form code) does MANY things for you:

- would pull the data from the form and verify it

- check for inserted extra coding (spammers try to force thier code into your form to send to 10-200-500 people at one time using YOUR form),

- check for changes to the form/content (try to send it to other address instead of yours)

- keeps your email address private

- allows you to require certain fields

- allows you to send automated responses and/or copy to customer that is sending the form.

- and more....etc.

There are 3 parts to a form (made with CSB)

- The header (defines which order the fields are sent to you, email address, etc) that tells the server what to do with the form when it is sent by the visitor. This is put at the beginning of the form.

- The fields this is the name, address, etc part of the form itself seen by your visitor.

- The send/submit buttons. This part activates the form & data when the visitor invokes the send button.

PHP forms are almost the same concept. But they require SCRIPTING to work.

Main difference: The header.

The CSB form is fully readable in your source code. Your email address is exposed and the form has NO built in protections. The header tells the server to send your forms to the GlobalSCAPE server for processing. Your website server is NOT used to forward that email. The GlobalSCAPE server has some limited protections (max # forms per hour, max # fields) but can not protect you further.

The PHP form header points to a file that is stored BEYOND access of the casual visitor to your website. The email address, the definitions, the routing information, etc that is in the CSB form is now moved OUT of the form code and put into other files that can't be read by spammers. The files are FAR more complicated than CSB forms because they do so much more than CSB could ever do. Setup takes a while for the first one. You put files where you are told, fill in a few blanks the way YOU want them to be (name of fields, address, etc), answer some questions, etc then tweak the CSB built form header to point to the PHP code or use the sample forms they provide to begin (the best choice!). The PHP script will send you the email like CSB form does now, or can produce HTML style forms in your email! All choices you make within the script. The script will run from your website space and draw against your bandwidth usage. BUT be far more secure.

Though I still use some CSB forms on the site, I switched my main contact form to ultimate form mail.

Added a couple javascript pieces to the page so my PHP form now:

1 runs in an iframe, so thank you page is contained within my contact page, no change of overall page.

2 prevents ENTER key from submitting form too early (IE and FIREFOX)

3 has colored input (in IE) fields

I hesitate to recommend ANY script. One that is known to be secure today may not be tomorrow. Or may not be available for sale.

I switched my main contact form to ultimate form mail.

Added a couple javascript pieces to the page so my PHP form now:

1 runs in an iframe, so thank you page is contained within my contact page, no change of overall page.

1 - Why not use Ajax or take a look at Thickbox

2 - Won't really stop bots

3 - Why IE only?

My current contact form for my personal site:

1 - Why not use Ajax or take a look at Thickbox

Because I knew how to quickly implement the method I mentioned and did not have time to review/study other options at the time. May consider other options as time goes on but the current form in Iframe works well with the simplistic design code of CSB pages.

2 - Won't really stop bots

This option was not implemented for bots and they were not even considered for this option! ;)

I actually added this extra script years ago to expand the abilities of the basic CSB built-in form. This option was implemented because REAL PEOPLE like to use the enter key while filling in a form when they are done with a field instead of using the TAB key. Used to get so MANY partial forms...2 fields complete, 3 fields complete, etc and by implementing this script quite some time ago, I stopped that frustration from happening! Now I get fully completed forms. But since you bring it up, spambots are being deterred in OTHER ways.

3 - Why IE only?

This script was written and implemented years ago and says it will work with Firefox. It is not mine and I accepted that it works in IE and is ignored by Firefox, probably due to other scripts on the page. That's fine. No errors are generated and it is not necessary to the implementation of the form so it has not been a concern. :)

Edited by Samrc

3 - Care to elaborate on what you meant by coloured inputs? I'm thinking of things like <input type="text" with a background set via css.

When you click on a field to enter data, the field turns lavender to show that is the field you are working in.

Silly, unnecessary vanity addition to the form.

The script is still on Dynamic Drive and their demo works in FF and IE: h**p://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex11/highlightform.htm

Mine only works in IE. But that, as I mentioned, could be due to other scripts on the page causing interference. It does not bother me so I have spent no time trying to identify the reason. (There will always be a difference between IE and FF when you use code generators (like CSB) and not hand-code.)