Fantastico And Software Updates

Hello,

I recently installed Tikiwiki through Fantastico (nice wiki, BTW) and I was wondering what happens when Fantastico updates Tikiwiki with a newer version. Will it automatically update or do I have a choice? I haven't done any code modifications, except for installing a theme and a plugin, but I'd like to know what will happen.

Thanks,

Dan

Sometimes there can be some lag time between when an update is released and when that update becomes available on Fantastico. If you know an update has been released, and especially if you know that the update addresses security issues, you might not want to wait for Fantastico.

It will not intall automatically. You have to iniate the install of the update. It is wise to keep your scipts updated though.

Updates should only install the things that have changed. It should not mess with any configuration files.

Bruce, thanks for the information.

With PHPBB, I install the updates by hand using source code comparison tools. If and when Tiki comes out with a new version, I'll do the same. It's good to review the code changes in any case...

Regards,

Dan

• 2 months later...

Fantastico is now sending email updates when a script is out of date. This is a good thing to keep you informed.

However, I have directly installed 3 SMF script updates since my original install with Fantastico.

I have a lot of SMF modifications to my install so I would rather NOT tell fantastico to run any updates.

I have received two e-mails so far about my script being "out of date" (even though I know I am running the most current version)

What are my options to correct situation and avoid unnecessary e-mails?.

1. Can I change the version number Fantastico thinks I am using? If so, How do I do that without installing the update script from Fantastico?

OR

2. How can I tell Fantastico not to bother checking that script? (I am concerned that Fantastico will delete my current working install)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kevan

If you login to your cpanel and launch the File Manager you should see a .fantasticodata folder. Within that folder you should see folders for the packages you installed with Fantastico. Find the SMF folder and remove what's inside of it. That should take care of it. But only do this if you are maintaining your scripts manually.

In cPanel's file manager go to /.fantasticodata. Go into the folder for whatever script you want to make Fantastico forget about. You should see a file something like yourdomain.tld|installfolder. Delete the file. Installation remains, Fantastico doesn't know about it.

(Disclaimer: I tried it and it works for me. Your mileage may vary. Don't blame me if you break it.)

Drat, Bruce is too fast. :)

Edited by heyguy

I too have gotten three or four emails telling me to update a WordPress installation that I've updated manually the day the update came out.

So, just to confirm....my/our only options are turn off email notifications or update using Fantastico? I like the email updates in case I miss an update manually, but don't want to wait the sometimes weeks for Fantastico to get the updates.

To get the correct version number in Fantastico after a manual WordPress upgrade:

1. Go to your WP installation directory

2. Open fantversion.php for editing

3. Change $version to the version you are using

4. Save file

5. Go to Fantastico to make sure it read it correctly.

Voila.

Thanks Bruce!

I got the email too, but had manually updated SMF back in February.

Renamed the SMF folder so if in future I want to use Fantastico to uninstall, I can. But in the meantime, no emails. :thumbup1:

Edited by Samrc

That fantversion.php thing works for SMF, Joomla, and OSCommerce too. Probably every script it installs. If you do it this way instead of renaming or deleting the file completely out of .fantasticodata, you will still be able to upgrade/remove through Fantastico later on without having to change anything back to the way it was before.

That fantversion.php thing works for SMF, Joomla, and OSCommerce too. Probably every script it installs. If you do it this way instead of renaming or deleting the file completely out of .fantasticodata, you will still be able to upgrade/remove through Fantastico later on without having to change anything back to the way it was before.

I have used Fantastico to install a few items. But have no fantversion.php file in ANY of my fantastico folders so I do not have that option at this time.

Ah...Yes.... Found them! ;)

SMF forums:

This week Fantastico was recommending upgrade to 1.1.2, which was released in February.

As of this week a new version 1.1.3 came out and I manually upgraded again.

I'll continue to upgrade through the admin panel on SMF since that happens MONTHS before Fantastico gets wind of the new version. And when they are security updates, I don't want to wait months.

I adjusted the version number in that file and Fantastico no longer gives me a link to upgrade and says "Only manual upgrade possible" since my version is beyond the known update.

Edited by Samrc

ARRRGH!!!!!

I updated fantversion.php to reflect my manual upgrade to WordPress 2.2.1 and I got this email this morning:

Domain Name: danzfamily.com

Date/Time: June 27th, 2007 @ 6:58 AM

The following installations are not up-to-date:

WordPress:

+ /XXXXXXXXX - 2.2.1 (2.2)

Fantastico thinks I need to upgrade 2.2.1 to 2.2.

I hate computers!

Edited by DWD

So change it to 2.2 for the time being. This is an unsupported method, your mileage may vary.

One more tidbit. If you are going to manually update and don't want these messages delete the content of the Wordpress folder in the .fantasticodata folder.

I don't use Fantastico to install my scripts. I prefer to install and maintain them manually.

One final thought: You are responsible to keep your scripts current. Which ever method you choose is your decision.

I don't use Fantastico to install my scripts. I prefer to install and maintain them manually.

I think I could do everything manually except for the database associated tasks. Databases scare me...MySQL, YourSQL, WhaeverSQL, it's all "magic" to me. As I understand it, and the reason I use Fantastico, is that it handles all the database tasks, avoids conflicts between installations and cleans everything up on uninstall. I frequently install stuff, play around and uninstall it. With Fantastico, I've never had a problem and never had to touch a database. (Except some minor stuff with phpBB.)

When installing most scripts all you need to do is create a database, create a user, add the user to the database and update a configuration file. What's so hard about that? You don't need to know how to build a table or data fields you just create the database. The installer takes care of the rest.

Having Fantastico actually spurred me to add a couple features to my site that maybe I wouldn't have sought out (polls, FAQ, etc) otherwise. ;)

And using it to install was just such a treat. But I prefer to maintain manually so there is less lag time between update and implementation.

Just one more perk on the TCH servers.

• 5 months later...
I recently installed Tikiwiki through Fantastico (nice wiki, BTW) and I was wondering what happens when Fantastico updates Tikiwiki with a newer version. Will it automatically update or do I have a choice? I haven't done any code modifications, except for installing a theme and a plugin, but I'd like to know what will happen.

Thanks, Dan

First: TIKIWIKI is now one of the best choices. - Here the "but be aware of":

The TIKIWIKI manuals, doc service and so on say:

- If you update TIKIWIKI over FANTASTICO, some part of content may be (or will be) lost.

- So this has to be checked before doing updates. Back-ups of content may be helpful in theory, in practice diffidult to restore prior state of all the reciprocal pointers, DB iids etc.

Possibly, FANTASTICO settled thsi aspect meantime. So check it before making decisions.

A different problem is :

On TCH the very newest TIKIWIKI version 1.9.8.3 will be installed by FANTASTICO - very good. - This had some basic config problems for PHP, or so. - TCH apparently just settled some such basic PHP configuration problems - at least, me new install of approx. 17 Dec. did not accept user registrations, but started to accept them since Dez. 19. (the only stated fault of 1.9.8.3: user registration impossible when server config's do not fit.)

A different current aspect is that TIKIWIKI apparently requires for extended features to execute a shell script /tiki/setup.sh . As far as I remember, we (mostly working in shared hosting) do not have SSH access on TCH (in fact a bit risky for shared hosting). - There are work-arounds for it, but do not count on them if you are not experienced for this.

The additional aspect is up to which level the individual site (shared hosting) can opt for individual configuration of Apache, without affecting global configuration for all accounts on the same server. As far as I could see in /tiki/setup.sh , Tikiwiki requirement there is still on the "free of problem" side, concerning this.

A further aspect to observe: Current Tikiwiki as by FANTASTICO only installs a very basic level (now, for TIKIWIKI v.1.9.8.3 from October 2007). Far more then CMS TYPO3, but practally all functions switched OFF. - Even user registration and WIKIs still not yet activated. - It is not too difficult to switch all the featutes to ON. But this apparently requires just those complications mentioned above. - While when installing on your own, you could opt for an extended initial configuration, with many functions already switched to ON,

So that is my current state of testing. - Some of the aspects here above have been brought into discussion on the TIKIWIKI forums. May be, I will soon have more clarity about it. May be that a new TIKIWIKI "stable version" willl soon provide better solutions. (The currnt TCH Tikiwiki is the newest "stable" version, very recent, TCH i top service. :-) )

The underlying more general problem is that PHP had now an evolution without thinking enough about backwards compatibility and consequently without enough behavior similarity from hoster to hoster. A problem for server configurators, for software providers and for site owners. The generated problems will accompany us still for a while... I think, 6 to 12 months...

First: TIKIWIKI is now one of the best choices. - Here the "but be aware of": ... ...

Initial setup finished with success for TIKIWIKI on TCH (based on FANTASTICO).

GOOD - I will try to find the time to add this good news on the TIKIWIKI-site of recommended hosters.

REMARK_1: TIKIWIKI did not work perfectly for the server configuration of serveral other hosters (in all cases PHP version 5.xx of late 2007).

(problems with new-unser registration - the main program everywhere working fine).

REMARK_2: Apparenty, the execution of a shell script setup.sh is NOT required. (This is rectification of my preceeding mail about TIKIWIKI.)

REMARK_3: TIKIWIKI combines extreme power. I test-installed everything but will remove soon for the current case of shared hosting : Chat, Video uploads + other functinaliities tending to spikes or requiring significant server resources or server CPU occupation.

REMARK_4 To make it run properly : Login as "admin". In the menu column go to 'Admin" / "groups". Each group has a Button ,,permissions". You hae to set ON in this long list permitted functions bfore inviiting users to your site.