Photoshop Fonts

Kaula

pssh, i just opened up the windows font dir to make sure the fonts i installed were the same file format. everything was coolio so i opened up photoshop again and there they are. :D dont know why it worked like that. neways thanks for the help

:)

Hi,

when you add fonts to windows you must restart the applications which are already running so the newly added font information is read by the application.

Like in photoshop if you have ever noticed, When pshop is loading it shows information like Loading pluggins, reading fonts, etc etc, so once photoshop has taken font info from font db it won't update it dynamically and thats whyyou need to give the application a Re-start.

See ya,

manu

• 2 weeks later...

Could be low system resources. That sometimes affects my ability to see available fonts in PSP and Corel. Photoshop may be the same. That is if you're frequently teetering at 30% because your too lazy to restart and too cheap to spring for a new system. heh. In that case close a couple apps running in the background and check your font list; restart if needed. BTW about fonts/rebooting, you don't need to reboot your system, just reload Windows. CTRL+Restart

• 3 weeks later...

As a former Adobe tech support person, here you go:

If fonts do not appear after putting them in the Windows Fonts folder, close Photoshop. Do a search for Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp. Once found, trash (or rename) the prefs file. Restart Photoshop. Note that your colour profiles will be reset to defaults, so ensure you record that info first.

If that does not work,

Go to C:\program files\common files\adobe\fonts and add your fonts there. Then, delete all Adobefnt*.lst (i.e. Adobefnt.lst, Adobefnt06.lst, etc) files you can find on your computer. Restart Photoshop--the load time will take a little longer as it recreates the Font Lists you just trashed.

Failing that, if you are using Adobe Type Manager, ensure the fonts have been activated.(Close Photoshop, launch ATM, go to Settings-Advanced and select Enable Type One fonts.)

Lastly, remove all but the Windows installed fonts to a new folder on your desktop. Delete those FNT files again. Install your new font. Launch Photoshop. If they appear, you had a broken font. Move a few fonts at a time back into the Fonts folder until you recreate the issue, then pull out the problem font and install the remaining.

If they still do not appear, make sure those new fonts aren't broken by getting another copy of the font and install it.

Cheers!

Troy

I was having the same problem with getting fonts I installed to show up in Word. I started a thread about it that got moved to "Software Talk." I finally solved my problem and posted my solution. Here it is again:

"It seems that downloading fonts to c/windows/fonts is not enough. You have to then install them by going to start > controlpanel > fonts and clicking on file> install new font and then selecting the font to be installed. Once you do this, the font will appear in the drop-down list in Word, Outlook Express and wherever else there are font choices."

Hope this helps....

• 6 months later...

Ok I have the same problem, except about 70% of the fonts in my Windows/Fonts folder don't show up in Photoshop. At all. It doesn't even try. And some of the fonts that show up in photoshop aren't even in my Winows/fonts folder. I try reseting the program and rebooting and nothing helps.

• 1 month later...
Ok I have the same problem, except about 70% of the fonts in my Windows/Fonts folder don't show up in Photoshop. At all. It doesn't even try. And some of the fonts that show up in photoshop aren't even in my Winows/fonts folder. I try reseting the program and rebooting and nothing helps.

I'm having the same problem but I am putting my fonts in my 'font' folder located in the control panel.

I can only view fonts up to 'P' with Adobe.

Yes, I alway install my fonts into the control panel font directory.

I deleted the photoshops pref. files and it worked.... only once. I now sometimes only get my fonts up to D.

This began when I installed many fonts and now have up to 10, 000.

I find that when I use photoshop it acts up completly; when I change layers, open or close a window (within photoshop, or pretty much do anything, that photoshop will stall and it seems that it may be trying to reload the program.

The screen goes white and I have to wait 30seconds up to 5 minutes when I have this problem with adobe photoshop.

I am a graphic designer so this problem is really a huge issue for me. I can't spend and extra half hour to an hour waiting for this screen to reload and I NEED my fonts.

Sometimes I feel the tossing my laptop in the bath would help! lol :goof:

-- :goof: thanks for the warm welcome.

BellaAna,

Please tell me you really don't have 10,000 fonts installed on your system at one time. That is definately going to cause problems. You should take a look at getting Adobe Type Manager. You can activate and deactivate the fonts as you need them. I only have my system fonts loaded all the time and activate other fonts only when I need them. For example, when I am working on a particular project, I create a font group for that project and only activate that group when I am working on it.

As far as your other problems with Photoshop, you didn't mention the version or your system specs, so I don't know how to help there, but I recommend that you take a look at yahoo groups, there are a couple very active photoshop yahoo groups that can probably help you with that problem.

PM me if you would like the links to those groups.

I am using XP and Photoshop CS. I also have Advance Font View but I it is only a demo and quite annoying. Font view promts a constant pop up that tells me to buy it.

Since I have put the fonts on my laptop everything is slow, even online browsing.

I suppose I should delete some but I don't really want to. I will delete the fonts that are practically duplicates.

The laptop only has a memory of 384 so, obviously this is a huge issue.

I suppose I shouldn't have sold my good computer when I moved across the country since I like all my little extras. I actually even wanted to add more shapes, patterens etc.

Maybe I could cut down my insane amouts of filters too.