Virus Scanners

TCH-Dick

AVG Anti virus

This is the program I use, there is a free version and a paid version.

Trend micro online virus scanner

This a free online virus scanner, personally I dont think its as good as having a scanner ON your PC but it is better tha nothing.

Mcafee

Mcafee also has an online scanner, as well as a scanner you can purchase. I didnt see a demo or trial, but you can probably get one at download.com

Symantec (aka Norton)

Trial versions of norton antivirus available, as well as instant downloads of the purchased version.

Computer Associates E-Trust EZ Armor

Free full verion of EZ Armor including one year of support and updates, also includes a software firewall.

Feel free to add to the list.

• 4 weeks later...

Can ezarmor be used along with AVG?

Yep. I've been an avid AVGer for quite some time. Been running Norton w/it but Norton is running out. Don't see the need to renew at this time. AVG is just fine.

But thinkin' I'm gonna go ahead and run that EZ freebie for a test drive.

:D

I'm with Raul, I think it will be fine, or it will freak out right away.

thanks all.

Rock Sign Thumbs Up

• 2 months later...

I'm with Kevin. I've used Trend since PC-cillian 98. Never had any problems. Like Kevin said you can set it to check for updates hourly but I have mine set for auto update so sometimes I get several updates a day.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I stumbled across this thread while searching for any news about a possible server wide Antivirus protection. I am hoping some day soon we will get an antivirus scanner to scan all incoming email for us and mark as Virus similar to what Spam Assassin does for us for Spam.

Anyway, I have used a ton of Antivirus programs. I started on Mcafee, then went to Norton, then back to Mcafee, back to Norton, and so on and son on for about 5 years. I also tried AVG (one of the better ones out there) and tried a few unknowns and then finally found Kaspersky. I doubt I will ever go back to the slow and bloated giants like Mcafee or Norton again.

I had Norton 2004 Pro running on my system for about 5 months full updated and scheduled to update with auto updates. When I removed it and installed Kaspersky it found 4 viruses that Norton missed.

Kaspersky Personal 5.0 just rocks!

Kaspersky Personal

You can set Kaspersky to update every hour if you want. I keep mine at update every 3 hours and turned on the extended database.

It is definately worth checking out if you are looking for something to replace your current AV solution.

Dennis

• 6 months later...
I was surprised that nobody suggested another good, free AV program -- Avast!

Home Page:

http://www.avast.com/

Info on the free home edition:

http://www.avast.com/eng/products/free_sof...irus_softw.html

Avast is definately a great AV. The database updates almost daily. The definition updates are very timely. The system resource use is not too much of a hit. I have seen the heuristics work which is very important these days with all the virii variants that are released. My personal choice for a free scanner.

I do not recommend Norton/Symantec AV of any type. I also have seen it completely miss virii that have had definitions released for several months on a couple different networks I help administer. The heuristics have never worked in years of using their various products. PC Cillian (Free Online Version) is also a no no as a primary AV.

• 5 months later...

I currently use Avast. I used to use Norton but it has become to bloated in recent years. I tried AVG but it failed some tests I ran on it. I used NOD32 for a while and it was probably the best I have used but when I got a new PC I thought I'd try Avast and it's still there.

What's a virus? (I use FreeBSD and Linux :P ) Actually I do have two Windows machines at home, an older desktop that I have since started using AVG free on, and my laptop which I run Norton on. Usually I can tell when a machine becomes infected with a virus. Hardly anything gets through my hardware firewall though.

Yep, I know about the *nix viruses. For the most part, the problem with them is they will usually only damage your user account, and if everything is set up properly it shouldn't effect your overall system. The same could be said about Windows, too, but since the "Admin or Vanilla User" choices are reletively new to most Windows users, and Admin is default, most people set up their user account with full admin privs. Anyone from the *nix world will tell you that's just plain foolishness lol.

As an added side note, while Viruses will continue to evolve, I believe so will computer operating systems, and eventually we'll get to the point where the OS will detect that a program requesting permission to run is a virus, and deny that permission. Just a thought...

Edit: One thing I neglected to mention was privilege escalation via buffer overflows and the like. However, I usually only see this attack being done by "script kiddies" (but that doesn't mean there aren't other more serious crackers out there using this attack).

Edited by cajunman4life

• 1 month later...
I was surprised that nobody suggested another good, free AV program -- Avast!

Home Page:

http://www.avast.com/

Info on the free home edition:

http://www.avast.com/eng/products/free_sof...irus_softw.html

I'm had been using AVAST too, for 1 year and more already. It's great!

It's installed as Window Service so it starts everytime your computer is on.

It provides on access scan, as well as scanning your outlook emails, P2P files, Web Pages and more. And most important is its virus defination database is keep updating automatically whenever there's new patch!

Great for home use as it's FREE. For commercial use you'll need a license. But it's function is as good as all famous virus scanners.

Edited by lawrencemok

• 1 year later...

this may not be the place to post this, but I have a virus scanner that keeps finding "Generic PUP.g" and can not find any real info about it, but I am still looking, what is it.....

Thanks and sorry if this is not the right place

:) :D

this may not be the place to post this, but I have a virus scanner that keeps finding "Generic PUP.g" and can not find any real info about it, but I am still looking, what is it.....

Thanks and sorry if this is not the right place

:) :D

After reading the McCafee forum here: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=106333

It appears as if you are getting false positive hits on files used by manufacturers used to keep track of and update your computer. These programs are meant to be there and are suppossedly for you own good... which is debateable in my opinion.