Current TCH contest

TCH-Bruce

New Contest!

This is a repeat on a contest we ran over a year ago.

Deadline for entry is April 15th, 2005 12:01AM EST.

Rules -

Contest is open to any *TCH family member, including staff and mods! Persons under the age of 18 must have parents permission to enter. All entries become the final property of TotalChoice Hosting. Winner will pay for shipping of prize from Burton, MI USA. Only two entries per member (work & home photo).

*A TCH family member is a member of the forum that is hosted with TotalChoice Hosting.

Contest -

Here's the deal:

Take a picture of your work area (home or work).

The only criteria is that the TCH home page must be on your monitor and visible in the picture (y'know to prove it's really yours).

There will be no digital editing (photoshop tricks) allowed.

Please only post true, unedited photos of your work area.

Altered photos will not be judged and will be disqualified.

First ten entries will be entered into a number pool and one of the first ten will receive a $50 gift card to Amazon.

Bill (HeadGuru) will pick Grand Prize and Runner Up Winner at random. He will look at everything from orginal setup to humourus things to people in photo. It will just be a random pick, the one he likes the best. No real criterea will be set.

POST YOUR PHOTOS HERE!

Prizes:

1ST PLACE:

Apple 20 GB iPod M9282LL/A - a $300 value or $300 Amazon gift card

Product Info

Incorporating the fabulous Apple Click Wheel that was first introduced on iPod mini. Offering up to 12 hours of battery life. Weighing in at just 5.3 ounces. And getting slightly thinner with each new generation. iPod continues to define the perfect digital music player for Mac and Windows.

A musical dream come true, the fourth-generation iPod offers huge capacity, letting you easily slip up to 5,000 songs into your pocket. And enjoy it wherever you go. In the car. On the treadmill. At the office. Around the house.

2ND PLACE:

PalmOne Tungsten E Handheld - $135 value or $135 Amazon gift card

Product Info

Specifications:

Palm OS 5.2.1

Multimedia audio support

The zippy 126 MHz Texas Instruments OMAP311 ARM processor

32 MB RAM memory (28.3 MB user accessible)

Ever since my girlfriend's brother moved in and I got kicked out of the guestroom/office, maybe two months ago, I've been working off the kitchen counter. At least they gave me a stool to sit on. And it's convenient to the coffee machine.

timsoffice.jpg

Here's my little corner of pooter heaven. If I only had more room.... these three 'little ones' could have playmates... :)

post-2655-1109791143_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bunni

Dick, "Hacking Exposed"?... :sly:

I think we're going to have to keep an eye on you, and perhaps open an investigation when there are problems with the servers... :)

(just kidding, of course :lol: :P)

Bruce, a Vaio Desktop?? I didn't know those existed. Looks pretty cool B)

Serpentine, I love that Lego snowspeeder!!! :P

Dick, "Hacking Exposed"?... :P

I think we're going to have to keep an eye on you, and perhaps open an investigation when there are problems with the servers... :thumbup1:

(just kidding, of course :lol: :P)

Thats for ummm I mean.. I'm innocent.

:P

That book is actually a good read if you want to see some of the methods that are used to access networks and how to prevent them.

Now back to the point.

Let's get those photos posted, can't win if you don't post.

It's not pretty--but it's mine! And you can see my prized Heathkit RF signal generator, and the 1940's Philco which (after a year) I still can't seem to finish restoring! But tinkering with it is better than doing real work.

post-3786-1109906026_thumb.jpg

Edited by joseftu

Hey, I just read the rules (probably should have done that a little earlier, right?)

Then I counted up, and out of the first ten, I'm number 11! Just my luck...no Amazon gift card for me. :group:

Well, I'll have to hold out for the Ipod! :)

I'm a minimalist. With a MSI K7T Turbo2 motherboard, a 400watt Hercules power supply, an AMD Athlon 2600+ (133Mhz bus) (2Ghz) , a Linksys network card, a Westell broadband DSL modem, a Hercules 3D Prophet MX II video card, 3 sticks PC133 168 pin 256K SDRAM DIMMS,and a Western Digital 40GIG Hard Disk with 8MB buffer, a Hewlett Packard keyboard and a Hewlett Packard Pavilion monitor ( the keyboard and monitor a gift from my mother when she got a new Dell) and laying on my desk, I have my basic access system. This is the core. Nothing else is plugged in until needed. A 56K modem for fax software, 3 various models of CD-ROM/DVD drives, 4 extra Hard disk dives, a nice speaker system. All being controlled by Windows XP professional, no updates or Service Packs installed. The original XP professional I've found through alot of testing was the quickest, and it has not gotten quicker. My system boots in 22 seconds and shuts down in no less than 4 secs. I run AVG anti virus and Kerio 2.14 firewall. It's really a nice system. I aquired it piece by piece. The western digital WD4400JB units have 8MB buffer and can be had from Amazon for 60 bucks, shipping included, they are good, I have 2 of them. The memory is PNY, it lasts, besides it has a lifetime warranty. Here are a couple shots.

http://cvws.info/image/computer0.jpg

http://cvws.info/image/computer1.jpg

oh, and the workspace..

http://cvws.info/image/workspace.jpg

I think I've got about 300 bucks into it.

Hey, this is a cool idea. I'm new so I was not around for the last one. But it's fun seeing what everybody uses.

Edited by djk

dkj - I'd probably spill coffee on my motherboard if I left it laying out like that. Guess it makes it easy to swap out parts though. My roommate in college once "integrated" his computer into his desk drawer after trying to hack up his case and messing it up pretty bad.

This i think is actually my first post but i have been with TCH since i think around september '04

Now please let me explain this workspace of mine.

This is actually how my desk looks right now. All the cans are empty and yes i do recycle! I just haven't got around to it.

Enjoy :shocking:

messy messy messy messy

post-4536-1110072912_thumb.jpg

personally anyone that is as huge of a fan of Marilyn Monroe to have all her movies is a Fan of mine :shocking: Talk about Choice ????

figure out who I am referring to

It looks like you are referring to jwbowden.

My wife is a Fred Astaire junkie. She will Tivo all of his movies and watch them when ever she can wrestle the remote away from me.

personally anyone that is as huge of a fan of Marilyn Monroe to have all her movies is a Fan of mine :) Talk about Choice ????

It looks like you are referring to jwbowden.

My wife is a Fred Astaire junkie. She will Tivo all of his movies and watch them when ever she can wrestle the remote away from me.

:oops: I take it back.... I meant kathryn not jwbowden.

Here's the home office.

Two Powerbooks, an HP, a dual-screen Dell, and a HP Pocket PC are all visiting the TCH website. :eek:

one the one hand, you win, hands down, a knockout in the first round.

one the other hand, do you really need it all? How many home assistants

do you have?

one the one hand, you win, hands down, a knockout in the first round.

one the other hand, do you really need it all? How many home assistants

do you have?

Well, the Dell is on it's way out, just as soon as it's primary user gets done transferring all the content to the new Powerbook. The HP will be gone just as soon as TiVo comes out with a Mac version of its software that can take care of the TiVoToGo stuff (transferring and watching the shows on the computer). Which probably will be a while. Oh, and The Sims 2 needs to come to the Mac.

Other than that - the only two that get real, everyday use are the Powerbooks.

Well, brand new to these forums. I suppose I might as well start it off with a bang.

My work area is slightly large, so I'll have to put it into 4 pictures. :)

Picture 1 is of my main three comps and my DDR pad (the black square)

Picture 2 is of my small test LAN and graveyard of (somewhat) outdated computers

Picture 3 is of my spare parts shelf (somewhat bare at the moment)

Picture 4 is of my main computer from picture 1. I figured I'd include a closer shot just in case you couldn't see the site from my first shot.

Enjoy :(

post-6169-1110390934_thumb.jpg post-6169-1110390964_thumb.jpg post-6169-1110390993_thumb.jpg post-6169-1110391022_thumb.jpg

I swear it used to be clean!

Here's a shot I took back when it actually WAS clean (just not viewing the website)...

post-6169-1110393603_thumb.jpg

It almost makes me sad to look at it all 3 months later. Never really realized how messy I was!

I visited the Family Forums today to find a spot to post praise for Rick and ended up here so I thought I would kill two birds with one post. Rick, thank you for your lightning fast response to my tech ticket. It was amazing to me how fast you took action. Great customer service! Thanks

This is a picture of my home work station. For Don, I included a shot of our Jack Russel who is always helping me on a project.

:)

TCH.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking around here for over a year, sucking up information I needed to get going or keep going. I guess I haven't posted very much!

Just added another site on Total Choice's great hosting service, and hopefully more to come!

I'm looking around right now for some info----I guess for some of us there is never enough.

personally anyone that is as huge of a fan of Marilyn Monroe to have all her movies is a Fan of mine :D Talk about Choice ????

I only just saw this today!

I just have five of her movies at the moment. Actually no that's six and her final unfinished film.

I have lots of Fred Astaire movies too, with a whole lot arriving in the next couple of weeks :blink:

Ok...here's mine. I haven't been around much lately, but couldn't resist the contest. After all...it's the only thing that has motivated me to clean the area in several months!!!!!!!!! :D

My two helpers are, Peppy (the Chihuahua) and Stryder (the Rottie).

post-782-1110755947_thumb.jpg

Edited by natimage

I have no permission to edit my post?!

Oh well, I was just going to add that

I really liked my work place :sigh:,

but that I might be moved to swop it with the one with the fantastic mountain view half way up the thread,

if you put in one of those sandwiches :)

Here's my desk. The top is built out of plywood and I put photos of family, friends, pets, places I have been etc. on top and had a piece of plexiglass cut for it.

On a bad day, it's nice to look down and see someone's face smiling back at me. Especially my dad, who is no longer with us.

You can also see my "assistant" sitting at her window desk.

post-1468-1111708507_thumb.jpg

Here is my workplace :-P My cat Oliver ended up on there... haha... well, I hope you guys like it. TOTAL CHOICE HOSTING OWNS!

EDIT: oh by the way, as you can see, my assistant oliver is looking at those great hosting deals!

post-6292-1111716316_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vector

:) Welcome to the Family Vector and Oliver :dance:

and your new home!

LOL must be a new rule

You must have a cat in the photo ;)

We really are like family here.

So if you need anything,

just ask your new family!

We love to help :)

LOL must be a new rule

You must have a cat in the photo  :)

While we have 2 cats (and 2 dogs) I would I think the dog pictures are leading. LOL

It's the little Chihuahua that I am worried about. Hopefully Bill can't even see Peppy he's so small :no2: Bill seems like more of a dog lover anyway LOL

What great pictures.

Thanks for the fun

Here's my slice of workspace...

Anyone have a working floppy drive for the disk in my pic? ;)

At least I know the data is secure... :blink:

Is that a 5.25 or an 8" disk? I've got working drives for both, nothing to connect the 8" to though, not sure what interface it uses, mobo probably wouldn't recognize it anyway.

I had an old PDP1170 in my garage for a while, man that thing was massive (4, 7' racks, reel to real tape drive, the works, and it sure sucked down the juice when it was on!

That's an 8-inch floppy. It looks like it sitting on a CD container which are 5-inch.

I have a funny story about those old 8-inch floppies.

Back in the mid-80s I made a program modification for a customer and put it on an 8-inch floppy. The customer sent someone riding a motorcycle to pick it up. When he was given the disk he proceeded to fold it in half and then in half again and stuffed it in his pocket. Needless to say when he got back to the customer's office the disk was unreadable. :blink: