Major Mess Up

Mae

Earlier a TCH guy walked me through publishing from my cpanel. It worked except all of the graphics didn't show up and one page is totally not there. So I figure I have to upload everything by itself. Well, there is so much so I decide to make folders and put everything for one page into a folder. Now everything is messed up. The links don't work. One page doesn't recognize the other. I think I totally screwed up. I don't know what to do. I still can't publish from FP like I should. I'm so frustrated. Does anyone have a clue how I fix my folder screw up.

I decide to make folders and put everything for one page into a folder.

You can not manually move files around, you need to move them in FP so the program can code the correct "path" to them.

The path is like directions to the location, take a left off I95 go 2 blocks and a right on Elmer Rd. By placing all the files into another folder you changed the location and now everyone is going to the wrong place because the directions didn't get changed. Take the files out of the folder and put them back the way they were.

I got the files out of the folders. I've messed up all the links so I have to do a repair job. I don't know how to change the path file or what to put to make the local site point towards the correct remote site. It's as if FP doesn't believe that my second remote site exists. I'm beginning to wonder if I should call Microsoft's Help Desk, but they charge a fortune, so if someone could try to help me out of the fix first, that would be great. I'm going to talk to a friend today who is married to a guy who builds websites and knows FP to see if he can help. Aaarrrggg...

The other thing you can do is publish the site to a folder on your PC. Then using an FTP program like CuteFTP, WS-FTP, Filezilla, CoreFTP transfer the contents of that folder to your webspace.

I used FP a very long time ago. I finally decided it wasn't worth the trouble of using the publishing tools incoportated in it since there were always problems.

Now I code by hand using a text editor and upload my pages with an FTP client.

Food for thought....

I would agree with Bruce. FP is a great program to learn HTML (look at the code on the HTML tab), but after a while, the frustration was just too much for me to take. While you don't have to go to the extreme of using a text editor, there are other tools out there (many free) that will do just as much if not more than FP, providing you learn even a little bit of HTML coding. Even a little bit will go a long way. You'll then look back on your FP experience and think "Wow! I've learned that much?"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. I am FrontPage gung ho all the way. Experience has shown me that people get frustrated easily, especially with older versions. To this day I still use FP 2000 and have done so for over 7 years. If you want something to work right, you just need to have the patience and fortitude to figure it out.

http://www.decats.org is done completely with frontpage and photoshop.

Regarding publishing problems ... you need to publish to your site ... don't do all this dragging and moving business. Build your site, save it on your HD, then use the publish feature from frontpage. Publish via http or ftp.

I use FP and "hot-edit" ... meaning when I go File>Open Web (or Recent Webs), I type in the http address to open the web directly on the server so that when I click save, it is saving directly to my TCH server instead of my HD. Risky but efficient.