Full Path To Databases

stevevan

I've been looking/playing around with a program call Locked_Area (www.locked-area.com). I'd like to be able to access the database it uses with one of the two database tools in cpanel.

Two questions:

#1. What's the full path to where my databases are stored?

#2. Anyone else ever used this app? Curious to hear stories (good/bad/ugly, etc).

I've already checked through the FAQ's and other help pages but could not find anything relevant.

Thx.

if you would like. I've already installed it and played around a bit. It's pretty straight forward. I was just curious about the database installation path to see if I could then use either phpMyAdmin or Manage MySql from the control panel.

Let me know what you find out!

My initial guess is NO, you can't use PHPMyAdmin or Manage MySQL because it doesn't use a MySQL db. Both of the cPanel utilities mentioned are strictly for managing MySQL databases. From a VERY cursory glance, it appears that it creates and uses its own database structure and file (probably not a 'real' db at all, but rather flat files that are accessed and updated through CGI scripts). ...but that's just a guess at this point and I'll do the install to confirm it.

okie? :)

Exactly as I had suspected - it's a flat file.

You can use cpanel's file manager to navigate to your members.db file (I put mine at: /public_html/lockedarea/members.db). Then click one time on the members.db file NAME and then click Edit File on the list at the right.

This will open the file in the built-in text editor so that you can see its contents. Here's the contents of my members.db file with only my single test signup member:

lianna|lianna@mytest.com|lianna|LabsHzTrxWU3E|http://stoverdatasystems.us|07/20/2003

Each pipe | separates the elements of the user's profile from the signup. In order those are:

Name

Email address

username

password (encrypted)

URL

Date of signup (?)

So, your big question I suppose is how can you manage that file more effectively? Because it is a delimited flat file, you can download the file and import it (open it) using any good spreadsheet program (Excel, Lotus, etc.) and the pipes become the column delimiters.

Hope that helps.

:)

By the way.... Just for future readers of this post.... I like this solution a lot for those that just want Members Only areas of their site and require less than what aMember Free membership software offers.

This definitely seems to get the job done. It's free. Straight forward installation instructions if you READ the readme.txt file that's bundled with the zip download.

:)

Thanks for the research, Lianna. It's what I kinda suspected also. (Kinda comforting to know my thinking isn't THAT screwed up! :) )

I would assume that I could write a quick script to import the data from the flat file into a MySQL table. I'm looking into seeing if I can use this data as part of a larger database. (Amazing what one can learn by playing around and asking "what if..."!)

Thanks again for your help!

Yep, importing that info into MySQL would be an easy chore.

However, if you are looking to modify the LockedArea scripting to reference that db instead of members.db flat file, you're looking at much more work and debugging....not to mention copyright violations. I'm not sure what your intention is, but simply using the data contents for other purposes via MySQL is a pretty easy and safe (legally) process.

Best of luck!

Would you mind doing me a favor please and drop a post into the Freebies and Cheapies forum here? I would love for others to know that this free alternative for Membership driven/protection site exists. THANKS!

L