Seo Tools

JTD

• 1 month later...
I found another great site with some SEO tools that you can code right into your website. Below is the link.

SEO WEB TOOLS

Great! I saved it to my favorites. Lotsa good stuff.

I have a question about metatags & keywords, though. I think I saw another thread on a TCH board where someone mentioned that search engines don't rely on metatags & keywords as much anymore.

Anybody know what they are relying more on now?

I have a question about metatags & keywords, though. I think I saw another thread on a TCH board where someone mentioned that search engines don't rely on metatags & keywords as much anymore.

Anybody know what they are relying more on now?

Only a handfull know for sure, but from all indications it is:

1. Content - If they can't tell you are a lawn mower site you won't come up on a search for lawn mowers.

2. Links - links from other sites are good. Links from sites in a related area to yours are golden. If you get a link from a dog groomer it's good. If you get one from a landscaper or weed whacker site it's much better since that's related to lawn care.

3. Magic faerie pixie dust (other things most folks only guess at).

The thing to remember is that if someone searches a site for "lawn mowers" then the engines will try to give them the very best sites relating to lawn mowers. That's how they get popularity which equals advertising revenues. Make sure the subject of your site is clearly about a topic and work on links from other sites.

What's the best link strategy? Make an awesome page about a topic and people will link to you automatically. Link exchanges are starting to be downplayed by the engines so "I'll link to you if you link to me" is not a strategy with a future, many would say.

Also, make sure your pages are made for people and not search engines! The engines recognize spam and most tricks folks play so make your page for the customer/client/visitor and the rest will somewhat take care of itself.

Search engine submission pages are almost worthless nowadays and submission services are ripoffs. Face it, being submitted to 400 search engines is not worth money - can you even name more than 10 engines? Neither can your customer/visitor. Directories are different - they list things by hand and don't "crawl" the web looking for sites. Also, if you have a very specific niche then there may be some less-known engines worth trying to submit to, but I'd bet that only applies to about 5% of the sites out there. Niches usually don't have engines dedicated to them, but if they do then it's worth looking at.

Meta tags and keywords are not bad because they are used occasionally by search engines for the text they show in their results, but don't rely on them for placement and certainly don't use them to try to trick the engines into liking your page. "I'll give you my candy bar if you be my friend" only works in school playgrounds - and not even successfully there.

Thanks Deverill & Thomas.

I rely on meta tags and site text that reinforces the tags. It seems to be working real well -- I have good rankings in the search engines and just about everyone who finds the site says they found it via a search engine.

I'm glad that the linkback thing may become less & less important in the future. I don't get many links from others trying to target the same niche surfer that I target. Like Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "I don't get no respect." :)

So I'll just stay on top of what I'm doing and go with the flow whenever they change the criteria.