Windows Vista

jayson

I was watching channel 5 news, and they are talking about new OS called "windows vista", any one have any thought or comment onthis new windoze version? They said that it was an huge upgrade to windows since win 95. Is this an upgrade to XP,ME,2000 or what.

Thanks

Edited by jayson

Thanks, I guess what I was getting at, and maybe I enter it wrong...What do you guys, as a hoster and tech support think of a new windows coming out? I upgraded to winXP about 3 months ago, not sure I want another operating system to think about.

Thanks

From a personal standpoint, it will make no difference to me. I will not pay a few hundred dollars every couple of years to get a new operating system on top of what I have to pay to keep upgrading my computer to run the software. I have XP and I am not going any further.

I have XP and I am not going any further.

<warning>

I think I feel a movie quote coming on!

</warning>

<movie quote>

"The line must be drawn here! No further! And I will make them pay for what they have done!"

</movie quote>

Anybody remember which movie this comes from?

I agree with Rob on this. I will only upgrade when I get a new computer with Vista loaded on it - and may then wipe it and put linux on it.

They are saying businesses may get it Nov 06 and Consumers in Jan 07

<warning>

I think I feel a movie quote coming on!

</warning>

<movie quote>

"The line must be drawn here! No further! And I will make them pay for what they have done!"

</movie quote>

Anybody remember which movie this comes from?

Star Trek the Next Generation: ­First Contact

"I will not give up the Enterprise! We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats! They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. The line must be drawn here! This far and no further!!!! And I will make them pay for what they've done!" - "­First Contact" "

Edited by jayson

There's different answers from different folks and it all depends on each persons needs. If you just upgraded to XP then I see no reason for you to think about Vista. XP will work well for you for several more years and will be supported by MS for that time I believe.

Now being a tech and also one that's certified by MS, I will be getting Vista as soon as it goes to Public Beta. But thats because I know I will need to know it before everyone else. Friends, relatives, neighbors and yes Work relies on me knowing how the OS works. Its in my best interest to get it and play with it and know how it works...I'd hate to look stupid when the wife says her compter doesn't work and I have to send it to someone else to fix :)

So for me I need to get it and learn it early. For the regular users...wait. It will come pre-loaded on your next computer purchase and by then there will be alot of us brave techies who will be able to help you get rid of the bugs and rough spots that I am sure everyone will have.

Its always best to get it on a pre-loaded machine versus upgrading an old PC with an older OS. The pre-loaded has been fully tested by the Manufacturer and all the drivers tested and loaded for you and they usually work right out of the box. Upgrading always has these strange problems getting the older legacy devices working, or an already exisiting issue in the old registry re-surfacing to cause major headaches.

I share the sentiments of quite a few people. I only have XP on my laptop, and it's getting upgraded no further. If I still have the same laptop when support for XP is ended, then it'll get Linux or FreeBSD installed. Both have made fairly good progress in the laptop realm in recent years, and by the time XP support is ended, they should have come a lot further.

Having said that, I am looking at a MacBook Pro though. I'm not too keen on upgrading OS X either, but seeing has how I'm a Linux/Unix type of guy anyways, I'd take it over MS any day.

and yes Work relies on me knowing how the OS works. Its in my best interest to get it and play with it and know how it works...

Lucky you. I had to get a special dispensation from above to run XP on my desktop at work and the rest of the company is all on Windows 2000 - except the few on Windows 98.

Isn't it funny that when the computer "boss" doesn't know something he's usually totally against going to it because it's not stable enough!?! :eek: We could do more to keep my users at work from hurting themselves with XP. <sigh>

Here is an explanation for the delay

60% Of Windows Vista Code To Be Rewritten

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Pla...tforms/R7G5G6U4

If thats the case its going to be longer than next year...60% is a hell of a lot of code an then it all needs to be retested...3 years minimum would be my guess :naughty:

OOPS! I put this in the wrong thread...sorry

Edited by Madmanmcp