Best Way To Have Designer Upload Files To My Site

wayne

Hi

I need to give access to my web designer to upload my site however I do not want to give him access to my entire cpanel where, if I am reading the posts correctly, you have to go to securely upload files.

I was planning on giving him FTP access but I see there is no option for sFTP. I am not comfortable sending passwords over plain text but looks like that is the only option.

Am I missing something or is there another way? He could give them to me to upload but as he is troubleshooting, doing edits etc. I would not want to have to constantly have him to email files to me, me upload, him check, and on and on.

Thanks in advance

Wayne

Hi

I went to my cpanel, created an FTP account and then chose the option to configure FTP client (cyberduck for mac). The instruction show 2 options, sftp and ftp however I am only presented 1 option which is ftp (I see no sftp option).

I have attached 2 screenshots:

1. myserver: screenshot from my cpanel
  2. instructions: screenshot of the instruction (which so both ftp and sftp option).

Wayne

post-3828-0-26618900-1346694346_thumb.jpg

post-3828-0-30181600-1346694353_thumb.jpg

Hello Wayne,

sFTP normally requires SSH priveleges which is something that we do not offer on our shared platforms. But we have a manual install of sFTP on all our shared / reseller servers which is why cpanel is not showing it. You can go ahead and configure sftp manually, just make sure you select port 22, server name should be set to the actual hostname of the server instead of your domain.

Could you be more specific

My server is ragnarok so what do I put as the address?

ragnarok.tch.com?

sftp.ragnarok.tch.com?

For my user name do I put name@ragnorak.com

cannot seem to get it working, I have selected port 22

I am trying to connect via dreamweaver.

• 4 months later...
Guest arvindc

Basically, LIMITED access, only allows your designer to access the files through FTP, and access to the database through a 3rd party mySQL client. It's much more secure and a good option if you do not know your developer.

• 1 year later...

Dredging a very old post back up to the top - if I want to give someone ftp access to a particular html folder, will I have to have them go through cPanel for sFTP? Is there no way to configure FileZilla?

I tried a couple of settings, and no joy. Before I get too far into the weeds, is it even possible to set up with FileZilla?

~ Rosanne

Thanks! So only the primary account holder can use it? This is for someone to maintain a small section of the website. I'm not handing them the admin password! Ah, well, this isn't an earth-shattering big deal - it's the worship recordings page of a church website. I wanted sFTP because I'm paranoid like that - not because we're handling financial data or HIPAA. His account is restricted to one subfolder and has a unique password, so it should be fine.

• 3 months later...

God, I had to bring up such an old topic, but security and encryption is paramount these days. People using not using encryption for transferring files of any nature is just asking for it. I have yet been able to connect to TCH using encryption. I have tried CoreFTP, FileZilla and WinSCP. I have used my cpanel/owner name and password, as I'm the only one using the account. I've tried both ports, 21 and 22. I've tried:

Explicit FTP over TLS

Require explicit over TLS

Require implicit over TLS

My server is fekete.tchmachines.com

Is there a true way to transfer files with encryption? If anyone can point in the right direction that would be great. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm assuming TCH doesn't have real encryption via FTP. So if you are transferring content sensitive files, with passwords nothing will be safe. I think I just canceled the service, which has been fantastic.

Not canceling. I'll admit when I'm wrong and was on this one. My FTP program wasn't setup properly since I have very specific settings for my other connections I was using those profiles. Once I used the default profile, worked fine using sFTP and port 22. Cpanel user / cpanel PW. I have asked the previous post to be removed. It was quite rude.

Edited by opentoe

Toe

When I was growing up and even way past my teenager years I would never admit to being wrong. In fact I think my maturity came at a much later age than most. I can now admit when I am wrong even thought it still hurts.

Thank you for allowing my company the oppurtunity to serve your webhosting needs. If you need anything my contact information is in my signature.