Most Liked Content

#253314 Scam Alert :: Unlimited Hosting

Posted by TCH-Blog on 19 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

In the market for a new web hosting account? If so,chances are, you will not have a hard time finding a new host for your website. In fact, you will, most likely, end up facing a plethora of choices. The largest scam in our industry is the “unlimited hosting” plans. It is time we debunk them and expose the liars in the web hosting industry.

You do not need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that servers can not actually host anything unlimited.That would be like saying youriPod can store an unlimited amount of Justin Bieber songs. We all know that it simply is not possible. These web host that claim to offer unlimited bandwidth and disk space are hiding behind their Fair Use Policy and are out right liars. They are overselling. This is the act of sellinghosting plansto clients and banking on the fact that the clients will not use the space and bandwidth. Furthermore, if the client starts using to much then the host can use their Fair Use Policy and kick the client to the curb.

If you do your research, you will notice that each overselling web host claims to offer unlimited hosting, but only as per the terms of its ‘Fair Use Policy’ – which, by the way, is often different from the Terms of Use.

Unlimited-hosting

Before signing up for these unlimited plans, it is critical that you look into the terms thatapply to these accounts. I took some time to go out and look at some web hosts that offer unlimited plans. It is shocking to see the lies these hosts spew out to their customers. These are just a few limitations that can be found in their terms of service ;

• Using a shared account as a backup/storage device is not permitted.
  • Any shared account using more than 20 gigs of disk space will be removed from our off site weekly backup.
  • Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes
  • The use of more than 25,000 inodes on any shared account may potentially result in a warning first, and if no action is taken future suspension. Every file (a webpage, image file, email, etc) on your account uses up 1 inode.
  • Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 30 seconds is prohibited.
  • Broadcast or Streaming of Live Sporting Events is prohibited.
  • Commercial Audio Streaming prohibited.

Really? I thought this was unlimited everything. Unlimited disk space as long as I dont store to many files, or you will suspend me and stop taking backups? Due dilligence, walk lightly and choose a host that does not hide behind its false promises, lies and its Terms of Service or Fair Use Policy. Determine what you will be using and find a host that will give you your desired services for a reasonable price.

We have put together a video that we hope better explains this entire Unlimited Myth and hope you enjoy watching it.

View the full article

#256628 Help With Redirect After Moving To Https

Posted by TCH-Thomas on 17 February 2017 - 02:03 AM

Welcome to the forum, pritisen.:)

#256242 Beadle Server Issues

Posted by Bob Crabb on 20 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

Thank you Bill. 

I've been with TCH for over 11 years, and you guys have always provided an excellent service.  I am confident that you will get this one sorted out too.

#255366 Dadamail Needs Perl 5.10.1

Posted by TCH-Thomas on 27 October 2015 - 10:06 AM

The easiest (and fastest) would be to submit a ticket as the techs don´t read the forums as often as we mods do.

#255079 Network Outage

Posted by webgyrl on 28 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

Thanks so much for the update Bala!!

#255075 Network Outage

Posted by chrisflusche on 28 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

I am on a dedicated hosting server, and it seems to be down or inaccessbile as of 7:43 PM Central time. None of the websites hosted on our dedicated server are accessible. I also cannot reach the TCH support website to open a ticket. Please help!

#255065 Network Outage

Posted by Boojum on 28 June 2015 - 07:53 AM

Ah. *That's* why I can't open any pages on my site or check my email.

#254900 Firefox Will Only Support Https From Now On! What Can Total Choice

Posted by TCH-Thomas on 04 May 2015 - 06:16 AM

I don´t think this will be a problem for some time, since their FAQ says:

Does this mean my unencrypted site will stop working?
Not for a long time. Transitioning the web to HTTPS is going to take some time. The first
thing we’re going to do is require HTTPS for new features. So whatever your website does
today, it will still work for months or years.
In the long run, there is some discussion of removing or limiting features that are currently
available to unencrypted sites. Those changes will be announced well ahead of any change,
so you’ll have time to update your site either to not rely on those features or, we hope, to
move to HTTPS. And any such changes will be made only after consultation with the web
community, to make sure we’re striking an appropriate balance between functionality and
security.

Whole story: blog.mozilla.org/security/2015/04/30/deprecating-non-secure-http/

The faq I referred to can be found here: blog.mozilla.org/security/files/2015/05/HTTPS-FAQ.pdf

#254235 How To Automatically Delete Emails

Posted by TCH-Bala on 26 November 2014 - 04:57 AM

If you use webmail (roundcube, horde, squirrelmail), the emails will not be deleted just by reading it. It will be deleted only if you delete it via the webmail interface. Thunderbird help site shows that IMAP can be configured like the way you need. Please check out the link :: https://support.mozi...synchronization

#253907 Contact Page For A Business

Posted by TCH-Bruce on 11 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

Make sure there are no holes in the script that would allow malicious access to the server or be able to send spam.

#253690 Php Updates

Posted by TCH-Blog on 16 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

TotalChoice Hosting currently supports three separate PHP versions across all of its shared/reseller servers. The majority of these servers are running PHP 5.2, 5.3, and 5.4 with 5.3 being the default, with a small percentage running on PHP 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5. Now that PHP 5.4 is just as widely supported as PHP 5.3 and with PHP 5.5 not far behind it, we are going to start rolling out some changes. These changes are required to improve the security and maintain the high performance our of servers and customer websites.

What does this mean for you as a web hosting customer at TotalChoice Hosting?

• We will be removing support for PHP 5.2 as of September 15, 2014, for security reasons. The end of life for PHP 5.2 occurred nearly 4 years ago and we encourage customers using it to update their scripts to meet at least PHP 5.3 standards.
  • We intend to fully support and offer PHP 5.3 to customers through January 2015 at a minimum, at which point we will review it again, as it will only receive security updates through July 2014. That means customers will have at least 3 PHP versions at their disposal for the next 6 months, PHP 5.3.x, PHP 5.4.x and PHP 5.5.x.
  • We will be rolling out PHP 5.4 as the default PHP handler from July 15 – Sept 15, as it is quickly becoming the new standard expected by web applications and customers alike.
  • When the default PHP handler is changed from 5.3 to 5.4, all customers that don’t currently have a special htaccess entry, will be on PHP 5.4. We understand that this can cause issues for some customers, so we will be rolling out a new feature to your cPanel account to assist you. If you decide you don’t want PHP 5.4, you can easily change to the other PHP versions with our new PHP Select option.
  • As support for FrontPage was dropped by Microsoft in 2006 and is no longer supported by cPanel, we will finally be discontinuing FrontPage Support on our shared servers. We have maintained this limited service as a custom module for a while now, but it is not compatible with the newer versions of Apache (http server). We recommend customers still using FrontPage to publish content with a different method, such as FTP or WebDAV.

We understand that any change can bring unintended consequences and may present an inconvenience to our family of clients, however keeping servers and software up to date with current software versions is something that must be done.  As always, we thank you for choosing TotalChoice and we will be posting updates as we proceed with the roll out.

View the full article

#253477 Https For Phplist?

Posted by Head Guru on 29 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

You can use our shared ssl cert's and parse your username into them like this ::

https://almania.tchmachines.com/~username/phplist

#253312 Why Tch Is Not Like Other Hosting Companies

Posted by TCH-Blog on 18 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

One of the most frequent questions that is asked is what separates TotalChoice from all the other hosting companies in the marketplace. This is something that I have been thinking allot about lately.

• TCH is family owned and operated.

Web Hosting has become a commodity. Most of the hosting companies you have read about or seen advertised are owned by large companies. In fact one large company, witha smooth1.5 billion US dollarsin debt owns many of these hosting companies. Do you really want to be just a number? Do you really want your WebHosting company to be floatingon abillion and a half dollars indebt? TCH is a 100% debt free company. We are cash based and always have been. TCH treats everyone like family, in fact my cell phone number is available and I personally take calls from clients on a daily basis. These other big hosters can not say that. Sources can be found here and here.

• TCH Staff members are truly family.

The staff at TCH brings many years of experience to the support department every day. Most of the team has been on staff for more than 5 years. Our General Manager will be celebrating his 10 year anniversary and the Support Manager has nearly 9 years with TCH. It is this dedicated and loyalty that separates TCH from the others. Check out our staff page located here.

• TCH offers faster support and turn around times

Did you know that the average turn around time from the time we receive a support request until it is solved is less than 15 minutes. This is something that we are very proud of and have always attempted to maintain. Every one knows that hosting clients will need support at some point and it is our goal to give our client the quickest and most efficient support available.

• TCH owns all of its Servers, Switches, Routers and has its own ARIN Allocation.

Many clients do not understand the importance of your hosting company owning all its own equipment. This really boils down to choice. This is part of the reason we choose to name our company TotalChoice. Owning all of our own servers and everything in between gives us much more control over every aspect of your hosting experience. For example, if a server breaks down we are not waiting on the “data center” to go unrack the server and tell us what is wrong. Since we own and maintain the servers, we control the maintenance, reliability and most importantly we control what is done to the servers. We also control our own IP space and do no rely on upstream providers for IP address allocations.

View the full article

#253161 Spamcop Vs Yahoo Et Al

Posted by tchester on 31 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

From this discussion, I realized that while Spamcop might be a great tool to block a spammer who always uses the same mail server, it is totally mismatched to blocking spam from places like yahoo with thousands of outgoing email servers.  for email from yahoo, it ends up blocking as much, or more, legitimate email as it does spam email.

when a spammer using yahoo mail hits a spamcop trap address, spamcop will block that particular outgoing email server used for that message for one day.  but the next thousands of spam emails won't be blocked since they will likely use a different outgoing email server at yahoo.  instead, all the legitimate yahoo email users who happen to then use the blocked yahoo email server will find their legitimate emails blocked!

so what a terrible program!  it rejects 1 out of 1,000 spam emails, but also rejects 1 out of 1,000 legitimate email messages from all yahoo users!  since there can be many more legitimate users than spammers at yahoo (one hopes!), spamcop could be blocking many legitimate yahoo emails for every spam email it blocks.

this is the complete opposite of the rejection ratio that a spam filter is supposed to have.

unless spamcop can be configured to not block yahoo and gmail addresses, it is a terrible tool for any isp to use.

#252882 Imap Support?

Posted by TCH-Bruce on 05 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

The reason for using the server names instead of your domain name is you are using secure ports for IMAP and you don't have your own security certificate.  This eliminates having to accept the server certificate each time it checks for mail.

#252522 Looking For Web Form Script

Posted by abinidi on 12 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Do you use a CMS like WordPress or Drupal for your site? If you do, its pretty easy to find plugins that do everything you need. (And a bunch of stuff you didn't know you needed!)

#252068 Desktop Computer Disconnecting From Internet Connection Overnight. No

Posted by Mrs. Muddled on 22 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thank you Mike.

As we speak everything appears normal.  I went into power settings and made some changes and so far so good.  I know I had made some changes to my power settings before I went on vacation.  I "think" I added SLEEP to the setting but can't recall now.  I should remember "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I'll let you know if I run into the problem again.  Fingers crossed!

Appreciate your assistance.

MM

#251987 3Rd Party Installations

Posted by mike on 01 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

thanks everyone. I installed a new msi installer and everything is fine.

#251432 Happy Birthday Terri!

Posted by TCH-Alex on 22 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

Happy Birthday Terri :)

#251426 Happy Birthday Terri!

Posted by TCH-Thomas on 21 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Happy Birthday Terri! :)