Your Favorite Ftp Client?

TCH-Sales

I use FTP within Adobe GoLive, but I have used other programs in the past.

CuteFTP - http://www.globalscape.com/cuteftp/ About 1-2 years ago I downloaded a demo and liked it enough that I bought a license, but the program would not accept the registration code I was given and I never received a response from Tech Support, so I stopped using it.

WS_FTP - http://www.ipswitch.com/products/file-transfer.html Liked this program, but, after a while I couldn't get it to actually change file permission settings. It would *look* like it made the change, but when I left the folder and came back, I would see that it hadn't made the change. I determined it was the program when I used a different program and it was able change the permissions.

FileZilla - http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/ - I really like this program and if I need to FTP something outside of GoLive, this is what I use.

I use WS_FTP for the big stuff and usually use Dreamweaver when I'm making minor edits to pages.

Haven't really tried anything else, since those were the two I used while at school.

:)

later,

!!blue

I'm a big fan of FileZilla ... I used to use WS_FTP and have tried CuteFTP ... but FileZilla is my fav.

I've noticed some problems with it if you have a less than ideal connection to your server and are attempting a large transfer. With TCH i haven't had that problem but when my old host anything over 1 meg and i had to use WS_FTP

Guest schussat

On Windows, I like SmartFTP. It's fast, free, and has a ton of features, but it's a little complicated at first blush. I just took a look at Filezilla -- looks pretty good, too. On linux, I use both gFTP and ncftp. ncftp has a great batch download process that's really handy for downloading large sets of files.

-Alan

Call me crazy, but I still use LeechFTP. It's old and development has been discontinued, but I have yet to find an FTP program that's as powerfull and as simple to use as this one. I also like the fact that I can easily compare, based on size, differences between my remote directory and the servers.

I've tried all the other popular ones, but just can't pry myself away from LeechFTP.

up 'til recently I would use IE to handle the "complex" (more than 1 image or two upload) but with the recent upgrade of cpanel I had to stop. A wise person here (thanks HG!) reccommended SmartFTP and I'v been hooked ever since. I am just learning how to get away from netobjects fusion and do my own html so this (smartftp) has been a great learning tool in my site maintanance. and I found it easy to use!

Mr. Bill :Nerd:

I've used ACEFTP for about a year. Until yesterday I used cpanel to change permissions but after a small problem,Rick fixed this in record time, I'm now using ACE to change permissions. Its very easy to setup up and use and the price is right,free. A combination thats hard to beat.

I generally use WS-FTP, been using it for years and I guess I'm just used to it.

I just tried to install the above mentioned "ACEFTP"--but evidently it does not play well with my system--got it installed, but whenever I try to run it, XP just tells me it experienced an error and must be shutdown. Free or not, I'm not gonna fight with software just to make it work on my PC, so back to the old standby I go.....

I use FTP Explorer 99% of the time and WS_FTP_LE to set permissions, both are freebies.

FTP Explorer is very similar to Window's Explorer, I often have FTP Explorer open along with a Window's Explorer window and drag and drop folders and files either way, from my hard drive to my host or from my host to my hard drive , works great for me.

But always looking for something better.

Richard

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My Picks:

Windows: FileZilla

Mac: RBrowser Lite (ftp), Fugu (scp, sftp)

Linux: AxyFTP

I'm a SmartFTP user too.

For anyone having trouble with SmartFTP not displaying hidden files, here's a tip. By default SmartFTP uses MLSD to get the directory listing. If that's enabled in the SmartFTP options then the 'Show all files [-a]' checkbox isn't used.

So goto Tools -> Settings -> Transfer. Uncheck 'Use MLSD if available' and then ensure that 'Show all files [-a]' is checked. You'll need to restart SmartFTP for the changes to take effect.

The problem seems to have only come about in more recent versions of SmartFTP. I know I had trouble with revisions .979 & .980 however earlier versions didn't suffer. From what I've read the problem only arises when communicating with PureFTPd servers.

Hope that helps anyone who may have been having trouble :D

Y'all are going to think me insane, but I just use the command line interface that comes with my operating system. This was the first method of FTP I learned in college (no, not 20 years ago...this was in year 2000), and I guess I was reluctant to learn a stand-alone FTP third party program because I'm proficient enough with the command line style FTP.

But, now that I see that I'm the only one so far who uses this method of FTP, I'm thinking of trying something new.

Actually, I did try WS_FTP last year some time, but it had some problems connecting (probably user error, which is the cause 99.9% of the time). Rather than try to troubleshoot my own inadequacies, I just opted to go back to the user-unfriendly, but straightforward command line interface.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been using CuteFTP Pro for years.

Wow, I was starting to think I'm the only one using CuteFTP Pro. I've used a lot of others and CFTP PRO is by far the best in my opinion.

One of my favorite (and most used features) is the Folder Monitor. (Or transfer engine.) It is a feature that sits in the system tray and monitors a folder for change every 5 or X seconds. Once it detects a change, it's automatically connects to the FTP acct. you have it setup for and uploads the changed files. This allows me to be more productive since I don't ever have to manually upload something. I just wait 5 seconds and it's there.

Sometimes it will upload my temp files and renamed files.. (because it doesn't end up deleting files... which is probably a good thing don't you think?) So I just use the synchronize feature of CFTP or Dreamweaver to 'clean' the folder, when I've decided it's time.

I used to use a program called 'Homepage Upper' that had the same functionality of the folder monitor. But it kept on crashing on me since I upgraded to WinXP. I stopped using it, then it took me a couple years before I set out to find another good util that will monitor folders.

CuteFTP Pro does that and SOOO much more. A little complicated at first, but it is truly easy to use once you've learned the basic interface.

I doubt I'll ever use another ftp app... CUTE PRO R0XX!

and so does TCH! Rock Sign

I usually use Fetch for OS X. I also use the ftp client on Dreamweaver at least one every couple days. I like it because you can use it sync the local copy of your site and the live one. It's nice to have a couple back-ups. Just in case.

Y'all are going to think me insane, but I just use the command line interface that comes with my operating system.

But, now that I see that I'm the only one so far who uses this method of FTP, I'm thinking of trying something new.

Since I made this original post, I have tried something new. I heard many good things about FileZilla, so I gave it a shot. I must say I'm incredibly impressed! For very minor things (e.g., checking to see what's in my directories or to look up the name of a file) I still use the command line interface available through "run --> ftp ****" in Windows XP.

However, when I'm actually transferring files, I've switched to using FileZilla. I think I learn something new about it each time I use it. Last time, I learned that you could rename files just like using Windows File Explorer. I also learned that double clicking on a file will automatically transfer it!

I must say, I'm really liking this FTP client!

:D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

WS_FTP here. Been using it for YEARS. Also have Core FTP Lite but usually stay with my old trusty WS_FTP. It works. It's easy. It's the first program I ever used to FTP files so I get around in it the fastest.

-Samantha

On Linux, I use gFTP. On Windows, I used WS_FTP LE for years. The last time I reformatted and went to download it again, I found that it had finally been discontinued, so I got FileZilla instead, which I already like better.

Core FTP Lite - it's free, it's intuitive, it handles large loads without so much as a hiccup. Online docs are clear and easy to understand, maintains settings for multiple connections which you can choose from, and all around is just an easy to use, reliable product. Thumbs Up

• 3 weeks later...

If you're on a Mac, check out RBroswerLite - it's fast, versatile, has all of the major features, and best of all, it's free!

On the PC side, I usually use FileZilla... although to be honest, I mostly use my PC for games... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use SmartFTP, but I noticed recently that between the hours of 9am and 5pm, it would give me some kind of "registration reminder" if it is being used for commercial purposes. So I opted for FileZilla. Before I did business with TCH I used to host my own site. I was having problems with my FreeBSD server one day, and as a quick-fix, I moved my website over to my windows pc, and installed the FileZilla server (I never edited anything on my site at the server, always did it via telnet and ftp). But those days are over, I decided to go the pay-to-host route. And I'm extremely happy too.

• 2 months later...

Hello

I downloaded and use a program from http://smartftp.com/ that is pretty good. Its currently free to use with no time limit as long as its for Personal, Educational, or Non-Profit Organization.

Any other links to good ftp programs would be appriciated. It would also be nice to know if there is a time limit or a fee to use the programs.

-------------------------------------

merging for forum organization.

Edited by TCH-Don

Hello Lisa or anyone

I was using smartftp to upload my site here at TotalChoice and kept losing the connection which resulted in an incomplete upload. I ended up uploading one folder at a time (a real pain) but finally got it. Is it something in my settings that I can change? This is why I was wondering if anyone recomended any other programs.

Thanks

I was using smartftp to upload my site here at TotalChoice and kept losing the connection which resulted in an incomplete upload.

I use the FTP program in Dreamweaver and this happens to me all the time. It is a real pain when uploading a large number of files, but the conveniences of Dreamweaver's site files make it worth the bother for me. I wonder if it will be better when I finally upgrade to MX2004.

I am with kaseytraeger, I can't get rid of the command-line ftp. I work a lot on computers that are not mine, so usually it is much faster to fire up ftp.exe than to learn how to deal with yet another obscure FTP application. If you know how ftp.exe works, you can work on any computer!

On my own PC I use HTML-Kit or WS_FTP to work my sites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've tried smartftp, cuteftp, ws_ftp, and bulletproofftp, and although they're all good, the one I seem finally to have settled down with is filezilla. It's pretty much 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, but for some reason that's the one I prefer.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I dont think I saw it on the list... (and I have used all the old standard proggies)... I have been using for has to be a good 5 years now... Internet Neighborhood Pro... I love it... the best part for me I think is the windows integration...

I actually paid for it back then... and then just paid to upgrade recently... while free is nice... if someone makes sumtin good that I like at a reasonable price, they can have my money...