Text-only Browser For Windows

krieser

Can anyone suggest a text-only browser for WinXP? I'm looking for one that can display Japanese text (shift_jis in particular), but install on non-Japanese Windows. I can't get Lynx to work in this way under English Windows :) ...

Thanks in advance!!

Not sure if this is close enough to what you're looking for and I haven't tested it, but Opera has good unicode character support, including Japanese, and although it's not strictly a "text-only" browser, it does have a range of flexible "viewing options" - all images, no images, only cached images etc - think it emulates wap as well, so it might be of some help.

Ali

Thanks Ali! :dance:

I have Opera, but I am looking for a text-only browser. Lynx is exactly the kind of app i'm looking for, but from what I understand (very little :) ), if I can't get the japanese characters in say- a dos window, i'm not going to be able to get them in Lynx either. I just wanted to be able to test rendering of text-only pages that use utf-8 or shift_jis charsets. I'll play around with Opera's configuration and see what it can do. :Nerd: :)

• 5 years later...