Quicktime And I Tunes Are Driving Me Nuts!

Mrs. Muddled

We have an Ipod. I think it's a Nano. I usually don't bother with their updates because I know it will mean incessant pop ups that I can't stop and the ipod isn't even being used by anyone.

Today I weakened and decided to update their latest update ... just because, someday, someone might decide to actually use the Ipod again. WHY did I do that?

It's been an hour and the pop ups have never stopped!!!

So, I use WinPatrol to control my startup file. I follow their directions for killing the popups if the normal routine doesn't work, which it doesn't. I use kill task and reboot and that is supposed to kill it dead.

It is not working!!! They are still popping up. Arrghh!

Okay. So what do I do about this? Why on earth would a company like Apple put something so incredibly annoying in their updates? I just want to delete their entire program and throw the IPod down the garbuerator!:wallbash:

I'm sure I'm not the only person on the planet who is not happy about this. I'm a little hesitant to try suggestions I find via Google until I've checked with you to see what you recommend.

Is there something really obvious that I'm missing?

These are the pop up files in question:

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe -atboottime

When I go into Firefox applications I see a ton of QuickTime plugins in my tools/options.

When I check Software Explorer - these two come up. Both say "permitted." Could these be the problem?

Currently running programs:

Apple Inc.

Apple Mobile Device Service "permitted"

Bonjour : 1992 "permitted"

Edited by Mrs. Muddled

Apparently nobody seems to have the issue you do. As for WinPatrol not killing the popups aren't those popups web page related and not application related?

As for the following programs

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe -atboottime

You can safely stop those from automatically starting up and start them manually when needed.

Apparently nobody seems to have the issue you do. As for WinPatrol not killing the popups aren't those popups web page related and not application related?

As for the following programs

You can safely stop those from automatically starting up and start them manually when needed.

I'm not sure what you mean Bruce. I wont drone on about this because I don't presently have the problem. Rest assured I will have the problem when I have to update the program again!

Those two files I noted pop up about every 60 seconds whenever I download updates to their associated program. The popup demands a yes or no to being allowed to be part of my start up. Unfortunately the program will not accept the "NO" selection. I finally managed to stop it many hours after the download. I have to assume the popups eventually just timed out.