Converting Seven Images To One

Boojum

I am merging my site banner and navigation tabs into one image, rather than having the tabs float as separate images just over the banner (which produced variable results in different browsers). But I'm still new to Adobe ImageReady, and not quite sure about the best way to do this.

The banner/navbar will consist of one slice for the banner proper, and one each for the six attached tabs, each of which has three possible appearances: active, inactive and mouseover. Which tab is active depends on the part of the site one is in. (This design is functionally similar to the existing one, which will give an idea of the effect intended.)

My concern is one of implementation. Need I make a separate banner/navbar for each subdomain, or is there some way to use slices to consolidate the images? And (either way) is there some order that must be followed in creating/assigning rollover slices other than to apply them directly above the normal-state images?

I could probably show you how to do it in Fireworks but I am no use in ImageReady. The only way I know to have it automatically include on every page would be to use PHP. Other than that I believe you will have to manualy add it.

Someone should be along soon with a proper answer for ImageReady.

Long time no see.

It seems my description was not as clear as I'd hoped. :P

I already have the banner and tabs included on each page via PHP. The problem is to combine them into one image.

Currently, I have a tab for each of my subdomains, and, within a given subdomain, the corresponding tab is "active" and the others "inactive": To see what I mean, please compare this page with this one, noting that the "Home" tab is active on the first and the "Santa Cruz" tab on the second.

Now, it seems to me superficially that in order to combine the tabs with the banner, I would have to create six separate navbar/banners--one for each subdomain, with the corresponding tab in each assuming the active appearance and the other five assuming the inactive. (I.e., the "Home" tab would have the active appearance on all pages in the Home domain, the "Santa Cruz" tab would have that appearance in the Santa Cruz subdomain, and so forth.)

First, then: Is this actually correct, or is there some way to code a single navbar/banner so that the "active" appearance is correctly assigned to the corresponding tab for each subdomain?

And second: If it is not, and I need six navbar/banners, should I create the mouseover appearance for each tab by simply adding the "mouseover" tab on a slice placed directly over the active/inactive tab to which it corresponds?

I am merging my site banner and navigation tabs into one image, rather than having the tabs float as separate images just over the banner (which produced variable results in different browsers). But I'm still new to Adobe ImageReady, and not quite sure about the best way to do this.

The banner/navbar will consist of one slice for the banner proper, and one each for the six attached tabs, each of which has three possible appearances: active, inactive and mouseover. Which tab is active depends on the part of the site one is in. (This design is functionally similar to the existing one, which will give an idea of the effect intended.)

My concern is one of implementation. Need I make a separate banner/navbar for each subdomain, or is there some way to use slices to consolidate the images? And (either way) is there some order that must be followed in creating/assigning rollover slices other than to apply them directly above the normal-state images?

My concern is one of implementation. Need I make a separate banner/navbar for each subdomain, or is there some way to use slices to consolidate the images?
If you have the images stored in a folder on your site, those images can be called in the code from anywhere in the site and you should not have to make separate images for each subdirectory unless you choose to have different colors, looks, etc.

And (either way) is there some order that must be followed in creating/assigning rollover slices other than to apply them directly above the normal-state images?

When I have made rollovers (by hand and with photo programs-easier/faster), I find it easier to edit links, etc if you follow the standard grid formatting 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-1, etc, with the image states stored together.

-Samantha

Bruce,

This is very odd, to say the least.

I did not double-post.

I have no idea where or how any additional posting of this topic occurred, and I hope TotalChoice will soon isolate the cause of this irritating malfunction. Otherwise, I predict a flood of apparent double-posts may be on its way.

While examining this issue, please bear in mind that I'm using Internet Explorer 5.16, Outlook Express 5 and Mac OS 9.1 (in all cases the most current available software that will run on my computer). I hope this will narrow down the search a bit.

It should also be mentioned that I've encountered some other errant behavior from this forum using this configuration. This includes:

-- Failing to "remember" me as a registered user, requiring me to log back in after any logout;

-- Sending me e-mail notifications while I am logged in--as I now find it most convenient simply to remain--but which I am informed that the forum is not supposed to do;

-- Failing to send me e-mail notifications of replies to my posts/topics; and

-- Sending me e-mail notifications of posts in the Server 49 forum and other posts likewise having no connection to my subscription list.

These all appear to be part of a pattern of bugs in the forum software you're using that has been cropping up intermittently and appears to affect a relatively narrow array of system configurations. To which array it would appear that mine has the ill fortune to belong.

ON ANOTHER MATTER ENTIRELY:

My felicitations to you, Rob, Sam and my other friends on the TotalChoice forums.

This is very odd, to say the least.

I did not double-post.

I have no idea where or how any additional posting of this topic occurred, and I hope TotalChoice will soon isolate the cause of this irritating malfunction. Otherwise, I predict a flood of apparent double-posts may be on its way.

Not a problem, just doing my mod duty to merge and point out that it happened.

-- Failing to "remember" me as a registered user, requiring me to log back in after any logout;
You need to store cookies for the board to remember you.

-- Sending me e-mail notifications while I am logged in--as I now find it most convenient simply to remain--but which I am informed that the forum is not supposed to do;

-- Failing to send me e-mail notifications of replies to my posts/topics; and

We've heard this complaint many times. Seems to be a quirk in Invision's way of handling things. I don't use the feature since I read every post. I'm on here several times a day.

-- Sending me e-mail notifications of posts in the Server 49 forum and other posts likewise having no connection to my subscription list.
I don't seem to have a problem getting these notifications. I subscribe to the forums I am on.

These all appear to be part of a pattern of bugs in the forum software you're using that has been cropping up intermittently and appears to affect a relatively narrow array of system configurations. To which array it would appear that mine has the ill fortune to belong.

Might I suggest you try the Firefox browser. Thumbs Up