Most Liked Content

#253314 Scam Alert :: Unlimited Hosting

Posted by TCH-Blog on 19 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

In the market for a new web hosting account? If so,chances are, you will not have a hard time finding a new host for your website. In fact, you will, most likely, end up facing a plethora of choices. The largest scam in our industry is the “unlimited hosting” plans. It is time we debunk them and expose the liars in the web hosting industry.

You do not need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that servers can not actually host anything unlimited.That would be like saying youriPod can store an unlimited amount of Justin Bieber songs. We all know that it simply is not possible. These web host that claim to offer unlimited bandwidth and disk space are hiding behind their Fair Use Policy and are out right liars. They are overselling. This is the act of sellinghosting plansto clients and banking on the fact that the clients will not use the space and bandwidth. Furthermore, if the client starts using to much then the host can use their Fair Use Policy and kick the client to the curb.

If you do your research, you will notice that each overselling web host claims to offer unlimited hosting, but only as per the terms of its ‘Fair Use Policy’ – which, by the way, is often different from the Terms of Use.

Unlimited-hosting

Before signing up for these unlimited plans, it is critical that you look into the terms thatapply to these accounts. I took some time to go out and look at some web hosts that offer unlimited plans. It is shocking to see the lies these hosts spew out to their customers. These are just a few limitations that can be found in their terms of service ;

• Using a shared account as a backup/storage device is not permitted.
  • Any shared account using more than 20 gigs of disk space will be removed from our off site weekly backup.
  • Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes
  • The use of more than 25,000 inodes on any shared account may potentially result in a warning first, and if no action is taken future suspension. Every file (a webpage, image file, email, etc) on your account uses up 1 inode.
  • Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 30 seconds is prohibited.
  • Broadcast or Streaming of Live Sporting Events is prohibited.
  • Commercial Audio Streaming prohibited.

Really? I thought this was unlimited everything. Unlimited disk space as long as I dont store to many files, or you will suspend me and stop taking backups? Due dilligence, walk lightly and choose a host that does not hide behind its false promises, lies and its Terms of Service or Fair Use Policy. Determine what you will be using and find a host that will give you your desired services for a reasonable price.

We have put together a video that we hope better explains this entire Unlimited Myth and hope you enjoy watching it.

View the full article

#256628 Help With Redirect After Moving To Https

Posted by TCH-Thomas on 17 February 2017 - 02:03 AM

Welcome to the forum, pritisen.:)

#256242 Beadle Server Issues

Posted by Bob Crabb on 20 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

Thank you Bill. 

I've been with TCH for over 11 years, and you guys have always provided an excellent service.  I am confident that you will get this one sorted out too.

#255290 Sha-256 (Sha-2) Security Standard Compliance And Tch

Posted by TheCanadian on 11 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

Relating to the same issue, but from the perspective of the server's root certificate store, I would just like to verify if the following (taken from PayPal's recent letters of compliance checks) would be true for all TCH servers:

Ask your web site host or system administrator to verify that the VeriSign G5 Root Certificate
is included in the root store that is being used by your code for validation logic.

#255076 Network Outage

Posted by jberg on 28 June 2015 - 08:18 PM

I'm seeing issues with all of my client sites on TCH (different servers). Most not responding and the ones that are, are slow in response. No FTP or cPanel. Also I can't access TCH Support site either. Let us know if the network issue continues.

#255071 Network Outage

Posted by webgyrl on 28 June 2015 - 07:46 PM

All my sites are not responding. Should I open a ticket or wait it out? Thanks for the updates! Nat

*just wanted to add I also can't reach the main TCH site nor the support site. Will wait for updates.

#255003 Php Select (Cpanel) - Included On All Plans?

Posted by rick02840 on 05 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

Thanks!  I have a reseller plan and it has PHP Select (on the individual CPanel for each account).  I have been here since 2008 and very happy. 

I am directing a friend here to get his own plan so wanted to know for him.  

Thanks!   Rick

#254242 Forbidden Pages?

Posted by TCH-Bryan on 26 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hi David,

The permission on the folder  /home/username/public_html/lx/  was insufficient. I have corrected it now and verified it is working fine. Please check it out

#254015 Outage

Posted by Head Guru on 04 October 2014 - 04:45 AM

Hello,

All services have been restored a few hours back.  We have one pending issue which is an emergency restoration of the server unni.

All other services, shared, reseller, dedicated, vps and colocation have all been restored.

I will be releasing a full disclosure once all the facts of this incident are compiled.

As Alex stated, we are all very sorry for this issue and we will continue to strive to do our best to handle any issues that arrise.

Thank you for your business.

#253733 Wordpress Attack

Posted by jberg on 20 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has some advice to help stop Brute Force Attack on a Wordpress site on a TCH shared hosting account? I have installed a couple plugins to help stop the problem but even using the Limited Login plugin, I still have some sites that get continual failed logins from different IP's every fraction of a second.

I have seen other hosting companies sometimes will use a protection CAPTCHA by creating a simple .htaccess authentication login for the wp-login.php file. So when trying to login into Wordpress you get the popup that asks for username/password and generally will indicate what the username/password  is right in the text of the popup. For example it will say.. Username: adfw3 Password: result of math 33+5. These are mainly to slow down the bots that try to login in every fraction of a second from different IPs.

Would anyone know how to implement this on a TCH shared hosting account? I tried to make it work by adding it to the .htaccess file and referencing a passwd file in the .htpasswds but that didn't work.

created a user login in .htpasswds (through Cpanel). Then reference it in the main .htaccess file in public_html/.

<Files wp-login.php>

AuthType basic
AuthName "WordPress attack protection CAPTCHA. Enter username: adfw3 Password: The result of math 33+5"
AuthBasicProvider file
AuthUserFile "/home/accountname/.htpasswds/public_html/wp-admin/passwd"

</Files>

But this doesn't make the pop-up appear for login, and just goes right to wp-login.php. Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

#253489 Not Getting Mail

Posted by TCH-Dick on 12 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

You can verify your email configuration in your cPanel. Once you are logged into your cPanel, locate the "Mail" section then click on the "Email Accounts" icon. Once on the Email Accounts page, locate your email address and select the "More" drop-down, then click on "Configure Email Account". You will then be presented with several configuration options. Make sure you looking at the "Manual Settings" section, you do not want to use the auto-configure for an existing account in your mail client.

Concerning the sporadic mail issues, it is best to contact our support team at https://support.totalchoicehosting.com . They can review your mail logs and the server for any issues, as well as offer guidance on any errors you have received from hotmail.

#253326 Web Hosting Account Suspended

Posted by TCH-Blog on 21 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

You are sipping your morning coffee and enjoying your wonderful Tim Horton’s Donuts, life is wonderful. Your email client opens and you start progressing thru your emails and then you read it.

“TotalChoice Hosting Abuse Department :: Suspension Notice for mydomain.com”

Your life comes to a screeching halt. That donut no longer tastes so good and you fall into a fast state of shock. However, you calm down and read the email and follow the directions from the support team. Within a few moments your site is back on line and things in your stomach start to feel a little better.

The above scenario is one that all web hosting clientscouldface one day. Let us take a few moments to go over some of the reasons why your account could be suspended by our admin team.

• Exceeding your storage and bandwidth limits.
  • Frequently using up lots of server resources (CPU , Disk I/O and memory).
  • Spam email messages being sent from your account.
  • Hosting or linking to material that violates your Host’s Terms of Services.
  • Attempting to gain unauthorized access to another customer’s account or files.
  • Using your account to send out denial of service attacks.
  • Hacking activities or hosting of material related to hacking.
  • Unpaid invoices for web hosting.

suspend

One of the most important things you can do as a web hosting customer is to keep your account up to date with the most recent releases of the software you have installed.Also, be sure to maintain your account with strong cPanel and Email Passwords. The vast majority of suspended accounts happen due to compromised 3rd party scripts, plugins and or weak passwords. A good majority of suspensions can be easily avoided if only the client would have taken the time to follow the above.

There are many reasons why a host will suspend your account. One of the best things to do is make sure you keep a good email address on file with your host. Almost every host will send an email to the account holder informing of the suspension. It is always a good idea to make sure you use an off domain email address, this way your host can contact you even if your site is suspended. Many clients point their contact email to their cell phone so that they receive instant alerts from their host. This is a great idea!

If your account is ever suspended, simply follow the instructions in the email you received from the support team and we will work with you to get your site back online as quickly as possible. While being suspended is dreadful it is not the end of the world.

We put together this short video that explains the suspension in a video format, I hope you enjoy.

View the full article

#253183 Deleting Files

Posted by shoes on 11 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

You can also submit a ticket and they will redo your entire account for you.  They did this for me and it was like being born again clean and sin free.

#253120 Won't Go Anywhere Else...........

Posted by chip on 19 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

Just wanted to take a minute or two to thank Bill and his support staff for another great job. My dedicated server started to throw errors and became unavailable multiple time in the wee hours of the morning. A RAID rebuild was in progress. The server was valiant in its attempts to fix itself but surcumbed to the inevitable, a hard crash. The support team was already aware and watching the rebuild but when I submitted a support ticket because I couldn't access the server anymore, they sprang into action. Unfortunately it was a major failure which required new hardware and a total reinstall of the operating system and user files. It took several hours for this to be completed and I am back up running full steam ahead.

For those of you who have not experienced this before with other providers, this is amazing! Hosting providers I have used prior to TCH would have taken 24-48 hours to do the work Bill and his team did in just a few hours. Those that have experienced this know exactly what I am talking about and that I presume is why you are with TCH.

KUDOs to TCH!

#252850 Which Version Of Php?

Posted by TCH-Alex on 01 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Please note both php 5.2 and 5.3 are installed on your server, where php 5.3 is the default. You have choose to use php 5.2 on your account through .htaccess Mime type selection and you just need to remove or comment out the mime type entry from .htaccess on order to switch the account to php 5.3

I have replied to your ticket too.

#252161 Too Much Spam

Posted by rblunt on 09 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the welcome.  I've actually been on the forums intermittently for more than 10 years, way back before the new forum "style."  My spam problem seems to be fixed now.  Apparently it was not enabled on the server my domain is on.  But, it seems fixed now.

Thanks,

Rick

#251992 Need Modem Help

Posted by TCH-Mike on 02 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hello. I would call your ISP back and get a few more details. If you don't in fact need a modem I would ask what sort of hardware you do need, then we should be able to help you out :)

#251550 Cpanel Fantastico Software Updates

Posted by TCH-Dick on 10 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

We understand the frustration with Fantastico and to be completely honest have consider replacing it over the past year. However, we chose to hold off for the next major version which starts its beta in the coming week. We are looking forward to testing this new version as it "makes it possible to upgrade as soon as a script update is provided by the script developer". This means we can roll things out from our end without having to wait on Fantastico to provide us with updates.

We will keep everyone updated once we have full access to the new version and have done some testing.

#251428 Happy Birthday Terri!

Posted by TCH-Bruce on 21 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Happy Birthday Terri! Have a great day! :)

#237692 Domain Renew

Posted by Guest on 07 July 2009 - 01:30 AM

tell me the right place to renew my domain name