Lifetype Help!

mythusmage

I'm trying out different blogging engines. One of them being Lifetype. Most of the time I can download to my machine, upload to TCH, and install. Not with Lifetype. I have an old, OS 10 incapable iMac. OS 9 can't handle long file names. So Lifepath's long file names get truncated. The result is, file names Cpanel doesn't recognize, and won't rename because, according to Cpanel, they don't exist. Makes installing Lifepath impossible.

So I come to the TCH community with a plea for assistance. I can provide the URL, username, and password for my account. All I ask is that some kind person upload Lifetype for me. I can handle installation from there. My thanks to whoever helps.

Can you download the zip file to your computer and upload it to your webspace and then unpack it with cPanels file manager?

I would really be careful about giving out your information to anyone other than a TCH staff member. As helpful as we all are, you never know.

The good news is, I downloaded Lifetype 1.0.5.zip, then uploaded Lifetype 1.0.5.zip to my site. Followed instructions, and got started on installing.

However, I seem to be having some trouble connecting to the server. I put in the info, hit "next" and get:

Exception message: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

Error code: 2

-- Backtrace --

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/class/database/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php(426): mysql_num_rows

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/class/database/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php(364): adodb_mysql._getdbdefaultencoding

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/class/database/adodb/adodb.inc.php(414): adodb_mysql._connect

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/wizard.php(666): adodb_mysql.connect

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/wizard.php(916): connectdb

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/class/controller/controller.class.php(309): wizardsteptwo.perform

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/wizard.php(1828): controller.process

Exception message: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

Error code: 2

-- Backtrace --

/home/------/public_html/lifetype/class/database/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php(430): mysql_fetch_row

/home/------/public_html/lifetype/class/database/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php(364): adodb_mysql._getdbdefaultencoding

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/class/database/adodb/adodb.inc.php(414): adodb_mysql._connect

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/wizard.php(666): adodb_mysql.connect

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/wizard.php(916): connectdb

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/class/controller/controller.class.php(309): wizardsteptwo.perform

/home/-----/public_html/lifetype/wizard.php(1828): controller.process

Any ideas, or should I open a trouble ticket?

Update: Call me clueless but, would I use "localhost" or "localhost" with parentheses or such like. Quotes maybe?

EDIT: TCH-Bruce - I have removed your TCH account name. Please don't post that in the forums.

Edited by TCH-Bruce

Here is what I did to get this working;

Downloaded file

Uploaded to my webspace

Unpacked using File Manager

Renamed folder to "life" (for my ease of use)

Created database in cPanel

Created user for said database

Added user to database

Navigate in your File Manager to yourtchdomain/life/config and change config.properties.php permissions to 777

go to yourtchdomain.com/life/wizard.php

Fill in

"localhost";

"yourtchdomain_admin2";

"password";

"youyrtchdomain_life";

Next

Next

Fill in form

Next

Fill in more things

Select a template

Next

Remove wizard.php file and change permissions on config.properties.php back to what they were

Welcome to LifeType

Bah! I had ten minutes to kill so I thought I would try it out. Being a WP user, it was not intuitive to me at first. Took a second to find out where everything was. My initial impression is that it is somewhat simplistic yet it seems to have potential. I would need to play around with it to be able to give a full "Rob" review.

OK,

I had a better look at things and I think the simplistic was maybe a poor choice. This really looks pretty robust. There are a lot of features and I think it would make a great multi-blog, even one for a single user, though I think it might be overkill if used as that.

There seem to be a fair number of plugins and templates available for it and one can custom create their own if they wish. The templating system is based of Smarty so there may be a learning curve that one has to overcome if they are used to other blog scripts.

Although I am not ready to leave WP as I am satisfied, should I ever feel the need to move beyond it, I will be sure that this is the first place I go.

Finally got around to installing LifeType this weekend. Had one or two bumps but it is up and running without too much swearing.

My take is that this is a great script to use if you want to host multiple blogs easily or allow people to sign up for their own blogs (a la Blogger). There are tons of options, you can upload templates so users have choices, and admin control for the whole thing is laid out pretty well. Documentation and user forums seem to be fairly well organized and I didn't have much problem finding answers to some question. For a single blog installation I'd be inclined to stick with WordPress.

I just want to throw in the disclaimer that in no way am I suggesting you attempt to start up the next Blogger on one of our shared servers - we do monitor loads so it won't last long. Also, you are responsible for any usage on your account, so anything your visitors say, do, or upload may come back to you.

That said, this is a pretty cool script and worth checking out.