Internet Connection Dsl To Cable

mike

I have an xp pro computer that runs fine via dsl.

I gave it to my brother in law and he hooked it up but can't get on internet. limited or no connectivity.

The only difference is that his old computer hooked up through roadrunner on a cable modem.

Is there a reason concerning the difference between dsl and cable modems that would cause this problem?

I did all the ipconfig release, renew etc, to no avail.

Please help.

thanks in advance

Hi Mike,

I'm assuming he tried resetting the modem and router, if he did not; please advise him to do that. I usually unplug both for a few minutes. Do you recall if you had manually set an IP address (or DNS server address) under the TCP/IPv4 settings via the Local Area Connection Properties? There might be conflicting settings which many be causing this issue. He may want to reset the TCP/IP settings on his machine. In Windows XP it can be done like this:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
  2. Right-click the network connection that you want to configure, and then click Properties.
  3. On the General tab (for a local area connection), or the Networking tab (for all other connections), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
  4. Click Optain an IP address automatically and click Obtain DNS server address automatically.

If this does not work there are some other options to try as well.

thanks Mike. I will talk him through that and see if it helps us.

Will let you know.

thanks