If I Have A Router, Do I Need A Modem Also?

webgyrl

Hi!

I'm moving and right now in my roomate situation I have cable internet service included.

When I move I will need to get everything set up on my own. I currently have a BEFSR81 Etherfast Cable/DSL Router 8 Port 10/100 switch Router by Linksys. When I went to check out Comcast's packages, they ask me if I have a Modem and if not they can include one for an extra fee per month. If I have the Linksys Router already, do I need the modem also??

Thanks for unconfusing me!

:)

OK adding to confusion. I may want to get a WRT54G Wireless G Broadband Router because I am thinking of getting a wireless laptop, so I will need to access the router to connect to the net. Ha, ha... more confusion! :)

Edited by webgyrl

Without a modem your router will only allow you to connect to a LAN (local area network). The modem is your connection to the Internet.

Hi Bruce!!!

OK great so I need a modem. Would it be worth it for me to find out which ones they recommend and just buy a modem. They only charge $3 extra a month for it, so that's pretty fair.

What about if I want to go wireless? Do i hook the wireless router to my modem and then chain the 8 port Linksys in there to hook up my other wired systems? I'm taking 2 wired PC systems with me.

Thanks for the help! I hope you are doing fabulous!

Lets see if we can help confuse you more;)

A router is used to connect devices together to make a network. Called a LAN or Local Area Network.

A modem is used to connect devices to the Internet. Called a WAN or Wide Area Network.

Now normally you connect the modem to the router and the computers to the router (by ethernet cable or wireless connections) and everything will be able to talk with one another.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I missed the moving part, sorry. You will need a modem one way or the other. You can rent a modem from Comcast or you can purchase one thats compatable and not have to rent one.

Do i hook the wireless router to my modem and then chain the 8 port Linksys in there to hook up my other wired systems?

You hook the modem up to the router in the port labeled "WAN". If you are getting a wireless router you will probably just not use the Linksys, a wireless router will also come with ports to use for "wired" connections.

Ok, I missed the moving part, sorry. You will need a modem one way or the other. You can rent a modem from Comcast or you can purchase one thats compatable and not have to rent one.

You hook the modem up to the router in the port labeled "WAN". If you are getting a wireless router you will probably just not use the Linksys, a wireless router will also come with ports to use for "wired" connections.

Hi Bob! How goes it?

OK so I will just keep the 8 port I have for now as I won't get the wireless lappy for a bit yet. I'll just then swap it out for the Wireless Router when I get that?

I have been searching the Comcast site, but can't see what modem they recommend. I'll have to call them.

EDIT

To say I found the approved Modem list. Here is a link in case anyone might need it:

media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/misc/cmclist1.htm

add in the http: etc

Edited by webgyrl

Lets see if we can help confuse you more;)

A router is used to connect devices together to make a network. Called a LAN or Local Area Network.

A modem is used to connect devices to the Internet. Called a WAN or Wide Area Network.

Now normally you connect the modem to the router and the computers to the router (by ethernet cable or wireless connections) and everything will be able to talk with one another.

Hope this helps.

This totally makes it all make sense to me and un-confuses me! LOL Thank you Professors Bob & Bruce!

Its going good, 7 days till vacation :)

OK so I will just keep the 8 port I have for now as I won't get the wireless lappy for a bit yet. I'll just then swap it out for the Wireless Router when I get that?

Correct, as long as there are enough ports for the LAN you are going to have. These usually come with 4 ports.

but can't see what modem they recommend. I'll have to call them.

At Best Buys I've seen the modems and they have Comcast listed on them. Maybe you can avoid asking and just go shopping. But it may be best to think about whats best for your situation, renting or owning.

How long do you expect to be in your new location or stay with Comcast? If you switch Internet providers your modem may not work any more. If you move to a new location, Comcast may not be an option. Hey, you could decide to switch and get FIOS (blatant plug for my employer) and not need the modem or router. So weigh the cost of purchasing a modem versus renting and take the better deal. Now when you rent from them they will set it up and get it running for you. When you buy its up to you to get it working.

Its going good, 7 days till vacation :)

Correct, as long as there are enough ports for the LAN you are going to have. These usually come with 4 ports.

At Best Buys I've seen the modems and they have Comcast listed on them. Maybe you can avoid asking and just go shopping. But it may be best to think about whats best for your situation, renting or owning.

How long do you expect to be in your new location or stay with Comcast? If you switch Internet providers your modem may not work any more. If you move to a new location, Comcast may not be an option. Hey, you could decide to switch and get FIOS (blatant plug for my employer) and not need the modem or router. So weigh the cost of purchasing a modem versus renting and take the better deal. Now when you rent from them they will set it up and get it running for you. When you buy its up to you to get it working.

Yes I notice they only come with 4 ports, I wish they made them with more. I am going to be getting 2 Vonage lines as well so there will be 2 wired PCs, 2 Vonage phones and then the wireless laptop. I am sure I'll figure it all out.

Yes I think renting will be better. I am not going to be there for more than 6 months, so it makes no sense to buy one since I'll be very likely moving out of that area after that.

FIOS is Verizon right? Is it as fast as Comcast and can I get as much data transfer as they allow (250GB a month).

Thanks again!

FIOS is Verizon right?

correct

Is it as fast as Comcast

Oh yes, much faster.

can I get as much data transfer as they allow (250GB a month).

There is no limit on FIOS. Are you really worried about reaching this limit? I know only a few people who can reach this amount.

The one problem with FIOS is its availability, its not in alot of areas yet. But if you can get it I highly recommend it (another blatant plug). Internet is super fast, TV is crystal clear and I pay less for all three services (phone, TV, Internet) then I did when they were separate bills.

I'll definitely check it out.

I need at least 30-50GB a month as I send uncompressed audio files back and forth all the time and they can be rather large!

Oh and does it work with Vonage. i like Vonage b/c I can take my number w/ me anywhere I go in the US/Canada/UK etc w/ the little USB thingy they have. It's very cool!

---------------------------

just checked...

Not available in the area yet unfortunately.

Edited by webgyrl

Oh and does it work with Vonage.

Vonage is a phone service. FIOS offers multiple services over Optical lines. With FIOS you can get one or two or all three services from FIOS. You only get one, phone, from Vonage. So the answer is no...BUT thats because of the way you worded the question.

Vonage may work with FIOS because FIOS would be an Internet Connection and Vonage says it can use ANY Internet Connection for VoIP. So if you reword the question and ask if Vonage will work with FIOS the answer is yes.