All Images Gone From My Site

hatmaker

If this is the wrong forum, please redirect me!

After publishing a minor update to my site, all my images have disappeared! I went back and republished it again with a backed up copy of the TLX file that was saved before I had made any changes but my site still has no images! How can 100's of images just be gone? Any ideas? I use CSB.

Thanks, Brent

Hi,

Does your tlx file contain these photos or have you uploaded them by ftp and linking to them from your published site?

If they originally was in the tlx file, are they still in it? If so, I would use cpanels file manager or ftp and remove the 1x1.gif + tlxtransfer.txt and then republish and see what happens.

If they are not in the tlx file or do not show up in the republished site, I guess the tlx file is corrupted.

Let us know how it goes. :)

And as always, make backups. not only the backups that CSB can store on the server, but outside your computer as well (cd, dvd etc). This way if something goes wrong with your tlx file on your computer and the site copy, you know you should have a working copy elsewhere (even if it may not contain the latest changes).

Thomas,

I went to Cpanel / public html folder and removed 1x1.gif and tlxtransfer.txt. Now when I try to publish, I get this message.

Potential Data Loss Warning: This CSB file was last published to a site that is not the current site. If you continue, you'll publish it to the current site (and erase its memory of the site it was formerly published to.)

If this is the way to fix it, I'll do it. It will take hours to publish the whole site so I'm just double checking to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Is this normal?

. Thanks, Brent

Since the current upload/published site does not show images (ie they are lost) I would say it will not do any harm to try, but you could always tell it to publish to a "test" folder and see if it publishes the images. This way you will not loose the content on the original place and if you see that the images do show up, republish to the original location.

lol, I wish I understood all this stuff better, I'm not sure how to publish a test folder or how to make it publish to the original location. Using CSB is easy for me but when something goes wrong, I get confused with the other technical stuff.

All the images do seem to be in my public html folder so I will just try to republish the whole site. Maybe it will work.

Thanks again for the info, Brent

To publish to another folder within public_html, please do this:

1) In File menu, go down and click publish...

2) click "options"

3) Click "Host setup"

4) In "Publish to subdirectory", enter a name for the new directory/folder. NOTE: Do not enter any slash sign before the name.

5) Click Ok

6) In your dialog box it should now say that you want to publish to your-tch-domain.ext/the folder you entered in step 4.

It will give you a warning saying something like this was already published before but in another folder, just click that you want CSB to go on with this.

I rebooted too, I tried another computer and its fine so if has to be a problem with this computer, well, I'm relieved its not my site! :pissed: Now how to fix the computer or browser, I can't understand how it can see image on other site but not this one! I'll have to check it out some more.

Thanks all for the help troubleshooting! Its appreciated!!!

So glad it was resolved.

By the way, TCH has a section of the forum specifically set up for CSB users.

It's helpful to post in that area because sometimes we fellow users of the product may have specific answers to your question which might not be applicable to other web site building programs or html editors.

And GlobalSCAPE also has an extensive forum for issues with CSB too.

http://forums.globalscape.com/default.aspx

The best decision you made for your site is to host it here!

I rebooted too, I tried another computer and its fine so if has to be a problem with this computer, well, I'm relieved its not my site!

When I initially responded to your question, I found the domain name from a previous post from you (thinking that it may be this site Brent is talking about) and went to check it out. There was some images missing from what I could see, so this is why I suggested the republish etc.

However, if the site is showing the images, there should be no problem with either the servers content or the tlx file.

Anyway, I am glad its working and for those eventually missing 1x1.gif and Tlxtransfer.txt files that I told you to remove, don´t worry, they will be uploaded next time you publish your site. :)

So glad it was resolved.

By the way, TCH has a section of the forum specifically set up for CSB users.

It's helpful to post in that area because sometimes we fellow users of the product may have specific answers to your question which might not be applicable to other web site building programs or html editors.

And GlobalSCAPE also has an extensive forum for issues with CSB too.

http://forums.globalscape.com/default.aspx

The best decision you made for your site is to host it here!

Hi Sam!

Thanks! Brent

When I initially responded to your question, I found the domain name from a previous post from you (thinking that it may be this site Brent is talking about) and went to check it out. There was some images missing from what I could see, so this is why I suggested the republish etc.

However, if the site is showing the images, there should be no problem with either the servers content or the tlx file.

Anyway, I am glad its working and for those eventually missing 1x1.gif and Tlxtransfer.txt files that I told you to remove, don´t worry, they will be uploaded next time you publish your site. :)

OK, Very good, I have 3 site and I would never be able to keep them going without the great help from you folks! I really appreciate all the help! Thanks Thomas!

,Brent