Can't Publish From Total Choice Back To Computer

cjehmsui

i just started working on web design 6 months ago, i use microsoft frontpage 2003. i have always published from my desktop to the total choice server using frontpage. last night i published from the server to my new notebook computer, made some updates to the web site, then published back from notebook to the server with no problems. i then today was on my desktop, opened my web page then tried to publish from the server to my desktop (the computer i had been using for the past 6 months) and got the following error from frontpage: "You specified identical destination file names for some of the files you are trying to copy". i looked this error up and it talks about publishing from a unix system to window base and how one sytem doesn't differentiate between upper and lower case but i can't find any idential files. i would really appreciate if anyone can let me know what i can do. My goal is to take my now updated web page and publish to my desktop computer from the server so that i may continue to edit it. thanks so much! jason :)

Welcome to the forums jason :)

I don't use FrontPage but it sounds like a warning message to me that you are going to overwrite files that already exist on your computer.

Maybe one of our FrontPage customers will chime in with something more helpful.

thanks bruce,

you sound correct, which is even more frustrating. I thought one of the funcitons of publishing was to update newer versions of the older files. when i am working from home, i change a page around, then publish to the server, and it automatically updates the file on the server. Now, I have the most recent updated web and files on the server, and I would like to publish that to my desktop computer, so my desktop with then be updated. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Jason

Hi Jason, the process "flow" is to always update your files "offline" on your computer. Once all the changes are made then you "publish" the results by uploading them to the online server. This way only the final changes are seen and the world does not get see the mistakes you make while changes are being made.

It sounds like you are trying to change this process and are running into some minor warning messages. See if you can bring back your changes by using Bruce's suggestion of creating a new folder/directory and then move forward from there, only using this new folder for updates...and don't update online.

Thank you all for the welcomes,

Bruce, i have tried creating a brand spanking new folder and am unable to publish from server to my desktop. Keep getting same error. And yes, I understand and agree the proper "flow" is to update on home computer and publish to server. The wrench in the system is now we have 2 home computers, the wireless notebook, and the desktop. After owning a wireless for a week now, I hardly ever seem to work in the study where the desktop is. So, I was trying to come up with a solution so i could work from either. For instance, my notebook was empty, I published my website from server to notebook, got the latest copy on my notebook, which also is idential to desktop. I made changes on the notebook, published to server and now server has the latest version. My next step was to publish from server to DESKTOP so my desktop could also have the latest version. I have tried publishing to an empty folder with no luck. I have heard this error has to do with publishing from a unix to a windows system and how one system doesn't recognize capital letters and one does. One solution i just thought of was what if i published from my notebook computer DIRECTLY to the desktop computer via my home network, this would keep a windows system talking to a windows system. perhaps i will try that tonight!!! thanks again!

Are you opening the site on the server and trying to download or are you opening the one on your hard drive and trying to publish that one back to your hard drive?

It's been seven years since I gave up on FrontPage. Sorry but I have no other solution other than backing up the laptop and copying it to the desktop.