How To Publish Fp Before Domain Propogates

n2access

Hi everyone.

I have a domain that I have not yet switched over from the old DNS server to the new TCH DNS server.

I'm on server 19 and I know the shared IP address for that server.

I want to publish the web site using FP to the new server before the I change the DNS server so that when the new DNS info takes hold, it will be totally seemless. One moment a user might go to the old server and when it propogates, they will get to the new TCH server.

I also need to setup email through cpanel. How can I access cpanel before the domain propogates?

Thanks,

Jerry

When I go to "h*tp://IPaddress/~account" I see the placeholder page. I know the account is set up.

When I go to "h*tp://IPaddress/~account/cpanel" I get Page Cannot Be Displayed.

Is there a port number I can substitute for "cpanel"?

Thanks,

Jerry

Okay, this is for the benefit of the next person who runs into the same problem.

I could not publish FP to the IP address. It did not recognize the IP address as having FP Extensions loaded. Makes sense, since this is a shared server. FP then tried to FTP to the site. I have FP 2000, so it may be too old, but it would not FTP the site to the server. It would make a connection, but never really uploaded the whole site.

Next, I searched the TCH Forums on FTP and found a recommendation on a free FTP application called Core FTP. I Googled "Core FTP" and downloaded a copy. I then used Core FTP to upload the web site to the server. Worked like a charm.

Now, all of the email addresses are setup and the web site is loaded.

My next step is to repoint the DNS info from the old server to the TCH DNS and the transition from the old to the new should be completely seemless.

The only issue is how to transition emails. My plan on that is to disable the existing email accounts on the old server first. That should generate a bounce message to anyone sending emails. The sender would at least know that their email was not delivered.

Then, on a Friday late afternoon, I'll repoint the DNS from the old to the new TCH server. It should take 24 to 48 hours for the new DNS to propagate. I hope. Anyone have experience on this???

Once the DNS propagates, the only thing I think I need to do is reset the Outlook email accounts on the local machines on Monday morning. Once that is done, I think the email service will be back up and working.

Does anyone have any comments?

We plan on making the switch next weekend.

Thanks,

Jerry

The only issue is how to transition emails. My plan on that is to disable the existing email accounts on the old server first. That should generate a bounce message to anyone sending emails. The sender would at least know that their email was not delivered.

You could forward the emails from the old server to your ISP account and receive the emails there or you could change your email program to access the old mail server by IP number as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem when I first moved to TCH ... I was anxious to get my website away from my old demon host and onto a new server. Couldn't connect via frontpage for publishing or hot editing until everything propogated ... just had to be patient.