Windows Emulating Linux

Dman8568

Hi, I was wondering if there was anything out on the net that can emulate a Linux environment.

What I have is Windows EX running an Apache Server w/ PHP installed. Now when I develope my site localy I have to use windows filepaths (i.e. C:/[file-path]), and when I upload them I have to change them back to Linux paths ( /home/[file-path] ).

So, basicly is there anything out there that can cause Apache to run in a emulated Linux so I don't have to change all the file paths when I go to uplead?

Thanks,

Dman8568

Emulate ???

Why not try and start using Linux :goof:

Personally, I very rarely use Windows... I have used many flavours of Linux, currently sticking to Mandriva.. really loving it. No driver CDs required, no service packs :dance:

and oh, no more 0x88810234 's :)

I'd agree with Carl. I went out an bought a new laptop today and the first thing I did when I got home (after backing things up to a DVD) is to dump the default install of Windows XP and loaded Ubuntu linux. Now the only windows machine I deal with is for work!

Some Answers:

http://www.cygwin.com/

Might do what you are looking for.

Then check out http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/cygwin.html

~ This sounds like exatly what I'm looking for. My one problem now is getting an Apache Server to run inside this emulated LINUX

[see answer to TCH-Bruce's reply]

Why don't you use relative paths instead?

~ I have tried this, but as my site is very dynamic I am having troubles getting an included file to return needed variables to the parent program. (i.e. include"[relative path]" didn't work, but include"[absolute path]";

And along with relative paths you can also use XAMPP in your windows environment.

~ Looking into this, this sounds like a VERY nice Apache Install package. However, I am currently having problems loading the installer program through cygwin. (It has been returning an "File/Dir Dosen't Exist" err when I run the launch command)

Emulate ???

Why not try and start using Linux :)

~ Because the PC that I currently use is not mine, but my family's. (If it was mine, I probably would load LINUX on it)

~ Looking into this, this sounds like a VERY nice Apache Install package. However, I am currently having problems loading the installer program through cygwin. (It has been returning an "File/Dir Dosen't Exist" err when I run the launch command)

You don't need cygwin to use XAMPP. Works right in Windows. Even works on a USB pen drive.

You don't need cygwin to use XAMPP. Works right in Windows. Even works on a USB pen drive.

If i'm trying to emulate LINUX wouldn't I have to install the Apache Server inside the LINUX Enviroment provided by cygwin?