#1 GOF

GOF

New To The Neighborhood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

Greetings
I have a website that is dedicated to collecting a specific company's guitars (Reverend Guitars). I am getting requests from visitors that I create a searchable database that users can upload images to and make changes etc.

That might be clear as mud, so let me set the stage.

There are less than 5000 musical instruments made by the company. There were various models, options and colors available, and each instrument had a serial number.

SN 04111 for example, was a Model: Slingshot Color: Lava Swirl, Neck: Maple, Tremolo:Bigsby, there are some other data fields, but you get the idea.

Users want to be able to do a search on the website for Lava Swirl, Slingshot, and get the information for those guitars.

Simple enough, but what would be cool is, if you owned SN 04111, then you could upload pictures of it to the database, so that others could see it when they queried the database. Also, if any changes were made to the guitar, users could add that information, for example, tuners switched to Sperzel locking tuners etc.

And of course, I want to do this on the cheap. I searched online database softwear and got lots of folks that wanted to sell me a service that will "do it all" for the low price of $300 ever month.

Its a labor of love, and not a business site.

www.revfan.com

Any suggestions?

Thanks

#2 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,149 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

What about a forum type site. Users can upload photos, you control the forum sections, etc. Something like SMF (Simple Machines Forum). If not that then you could search hotscripts.com for something more to your liking.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#3 GOF

GOF

New To The Neighborhood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

The problem is that there is already a dedicated forum run by the guitar maker my site covers.... and honestly, does anyone really need another forum to be a member of?
It sounds like it be getting a jackhammer to drive a few finishing nails.

But then again, I've already said I don't know what I am talking about...

Edited by GOF, 19 July 2011 - 09:35 AM.

#4 TCH-Thomas

TCH-Thomas

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,188 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

I agree with Bruce on the forum idea.

You can not only upload pictures and everything else that Bruce mentions. It can also contain several different sections for different purposes, like discussions, sell / buy / trade, contest...only imagination puts an end of what it can used for. Itīs also a great way for interaction.
Thomas Jikrantz
Forum Moderator

Any links or suggestions for third party software/sites should be used at your own risk. My opinions and recommendations are not necessary those of TCH and TCH is not responsible.

As a Forum Moderator I can assist in answering many of your hosting related questions. However, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.
Web Hosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - 24/7 Help Desk

#5 GOF

GOF

New To The Neighborhood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

Maybe I am just hardheaded...
This seems forum-ish though... does it meet TCH specs?

http://codex.gallery...g_and_upgrading

Thanks

#6 TCH-Thomas

TCH-Thomas

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,188 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

Gallery works fine on TCH servers. :)
Thomas Jikrantz
Forum Moderator

Any links or suggestions for third party software/sites should be used at your own risk. My opinions and recommendations are not necessary those of TCH and TCH is not responsible.

As a Forum Moderator I can assist in answering many of your hosting related questions. However, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.
Web Hosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - 24/7 Help Desk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users