Set Your Cpanel Contact Info!

Just an FYI, it is very very very important to have your cpanel contact e-mail set up, and for it NOT to be something@******.

In cpanel at the top of the page where it says "Please update your contact information here." Click on the word "here" and add your e-mail address. This is how we notify people of pending maintenance or other important info.

It is STRONGLY recommended that you do not use an address that is associated with your domain name like something@******

It is STRONGLY recommended that you do not use an address that is associated with your domain name like something@******

If your domain e-mail is the only one you use, and you don't want to signup for a free service becuase in the end you will just get a ton of SPAM in that free e-mail, what do you suggest :rolleyes:

I use my ISP e-mail address,

TCH is the only one I trust with it.

I wish I could keep my ISP address under wraps. I've never sent a single thing from it, but I get so much spam there that I don't even read it anymore. Thanks for raising the work:benefit ratio of email, Cox Communications!

If your domain e-mail is the only one you use, and you don't want to signup for a free service becuase in the end you will just get a ton of SPAM in that free e-mail, what do you suggest ;)

I'd suggest, go for the free email anyway. They're throw-away accounts, when it gets too clogged with spam for effective use, close it, get a new address and update the address in CPanel. Speaking from the position of "oops, I didn't know it was going down!" because I had the wrong address in there. (or maybe no address at all, since I should've had the advance notice) :D

Thanks to all the hard-working night owls who are making this changeover work!

Thumbs Up

--MJ

• 2 months later...

I'm late on this one I know, but I'm new here.

FYI, for free webmail that has almost no spam, sign up for an excite account. I have a couple of them and have virtually no problem with Spam. The reason is they have installed a couple buttons that allow you to either block a sender or an addy, and another one that reports senders or addys as Spam. They keep a running list too. Actually, the only Spam I ever get there are the few that come to my site mail, then I just report it and block further ones.

Be warned that to sign up, excite wants to know everything about you but your blood type (and they may be asking that by now). Just do what I did - LIE.

• 4 months later...

Some advice (from experience) on setting up extra e-mail accounts not on one's main domain.

I've found that [my-last-name]@earthlink.net gets a bunch of spam. But [my-first-name+random-word-or-two] has gotten zero spam for months.

A lot of folks don't even realize that with most ISPs, you can configure 5, 6, or even more e-mail addresses on your account for free. Use 'em, discard 'em at will! :dance:

Much of the spam folks get is from dictionary attacks, anyway, and setting up an e-mail address like AdamLindyHopFlop@earthlink.net (not a real address) is not likely to get hit.

A lot of folks don't even realize that with most ISPs, you can configure 5, 6, or even more e-mail addresses on your account for free. Use 'em, discard 'em at will!

Only problem with this is that a lot of people that dont have other email options want one adress for family and other trusted people. Changing that adress like you change socks does not work in the long run.

A lot of folks don't even realize that with most ISPs, you can configure 5, 6, or even more e-mail addresses on your account for free. Use 'em, discard 'em at will!

Only problem with this is that a lot of people that dont have other email options want one adress for family and other trusted people. Changing that adress like you change socks does not work in the long run.

Well, when I sign up for anything I create an email account with that name I am signing up for, like travelocity@example.com. If I ever decide to stop using that service I can delete it and move on knowing I am unlikely to have more messages from them in any other account of mine.

Well, when I sign up for anything I create an email account with that name I am signing up for, like travelocity@example.com.  If I ever decide to stop using that service I can delete it and move on knowing I am unlikely to have more messages from them in any other account of mine.

Rob, I do the same as you but I don't create an email account, I just create a forward to my actual email account. Works the same and one less box to check.

Ok...this is too strange...I know my password...and you have confirmed it...so why when I try on another computer it gives me the password pop-up...3 times and then converts to the page log-in and the username and password always come back wrong?

I can log-in to the c-panel on this computer...but I needed it for my laptop for a meeting I leave for at 7am...and now I am sleepless in SA :)

• 1 year later...

when attempting to log into cpanel, it did ask for me to confirm my email and I did set it, but I can't go past that screen. After setting the contact info, I tried to go to home and it brings me back to the same page again requesting that I enter my email address. Is this a server issue, maintenance issue? Do I need to enter a help ticket? I am confused.

I am sure there is a post on this forum about this issue, but for the life of me I can not find it.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Has anyone tried setting up TWO email addresses for their contact info?

It seems that would solve most people's problems. Then they could have any contact go to their regular site email, and their "other domain" email. I have had several urgent notices

Maybe putting a comma or semicolon inbetween two addresses would work?

Like:

mainaddress@mysite;otheraddress@yahoo

or

mainaddress@mysite,otheraddress@yahoo

Would it work to enter either of those types?

Thanks for your response Thomas. The reason for putting 2 addresses is this:

It has happened to me MULTIPLE times that billing has a problem with my credit card. They email me at my contact address in the control panel, which is a yahoo address. I don't check this address very often, since it's not my main email. My main email is my TCH hosted email. So billing emails me about my credit card no longer being valid (because of an address change, or something like that), and I don't read my yahoo address often enough to see it, and they shut my site down!

I only check my yahoo address like once a week. It's happened several times that I just don't get messages soon enough regarding my site (such as they are taking my server down for a while to do an upgrade, or billing issues with my credit card, or other technical stuff, such as a spam exploit on a particular file). It's happened more than once that they shut my site down and I didn't realize there was any problem until I saw that my site was down. But I don't want to have to check multiple email addresses every day. I just want 1 email address to check daily (my TCH hosted mail), and 1 backup to check ocassionally (my yahoo mail) for when my other email doesn't work.

If they emailed my main TCH hosted email *AND* my backup yahoo mail, then all bases would be covered. If I recieve a mail at my TCH hosted address, then it actually is automatically checked by my Treo phone, and I usually get the message within half an hour.

Do you see the benefit of having two addresses now?

Edited by jacobh

Your Billing email is stored separately and stored with your billing infomation. If it changes you need to open a ticket with the help desk to Billing and they will help you.

I have asked the billind department if they can email 2 addresses when any billing issues arise, and they said the billing system "isn't set up for it."

I guess I will have to rely on the "moble notification" feature that yahoo mail has, to alert me when mails arrive in my inbox from totalchoicehosting.com

Thanks anyways.

/Jacob

• 2 years later...

I'm havin' similar issues that are so frustratin'. Got a new computer and all the old info is lost for my c-panel and web account. Luckily I did get on my account update info by using the "send password to registered email address used with your account". I believe I tried to re-set the password. It said, a conformation was bein' sent to the registered email address associated with your account. Nothing has arrived as yet, so I'm wonderin' if it was sent to the old email addy, before I updated the email on my account.

Then, I realized I needed to update the CC info in billing [former CC no longer works]. I had everything typed in and it asked for my password on the bottom line. I pasted the password that billing sent me. It came back saying the password didn't work. I've received an email from TCH billing saying, the CC was declined. Minutes before, that's what I was trying to do. I was trying to update, to a different card.

Is there different passwords to your account, Help Desk and Billing? Everytime I tried to log in to those different areas, it said my password was wrong. I'm left not knowin' what to do next. I don't want my account or website disrupted.

I tried sendin' this through Help Desk, but no such luck. Can someone please help?

Is there different passwords to your account, Help Desk and Billing?

I believe there is.

However, if you submit a ticket with the helpdesk, with an email address that is not your domain (gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc will work), which is the only place where this can be sorted, they will send you a email with a link where you can read and respond.

When you click this link and it asks you for the password, please use the "Lost password" link.

Now the password will be sent to you and you should be able to log in providing you have entered the same email as described above, using the link in the previous email from the helpdesk to read and respond.

The helpdesk will probably ask you several questions for identification, but I am sure they will sort out the problems. :)

Thanks Thomas!

I did go through Help Desk. I sumitted it, but never got a prompt lettin' me know it was sent. If it did go through, they may have two tickets from me. :) Should I send a ticket to billing to try and update the CC dilemma?

There should have been a confirmation email sent from the helpdesk. Did you use an email address that is not related to your domain such as hotmail etc? If so I would check the spam/junk box if the email has arrived there.

Other ways to contact the helpdesk can be found here, including live chat, instant messaging. Please try one of these if no email arrives somewhere. :)

Will doThomas !!

:) HOORAY!! :clapping:

I have to give credit where credit is due. Thomas, Carl, Dick and Terri; you four have bent over backwords to offer your assistance in the past 30 hours. Thanks so very much!!

:thumbup1: Thomas - Carl - Dick - Terri :thumbup1:

:tchrocks:

• 11 months later...

I just changed my isp and have a new e-mail address so I updated my information in cpanel, but I got a recurring bill notification at my old e-mail address this morning and nothing at my new e-mail address.

What do I have to do to be sure you have my correct information?

Fortunately I can still get e-mails at my old address. Not sure how long that will last but I need to make sure 2CO has my right e-mail address.

Sheryl