How To Create A Php Photo Album

Bohatir

I am a complete idiot in PHP, I dont know anything!!!!

But I want to have a PHP photo Album. Can someone write me a tep by step tut on what to upload into what folder, and what to write, and how to setup a simple album. I want an album that shows thumbnails, and then if people want a bigger full size pic, they can click on the thumbnail.

AGAIN dont assume I know naything, because I dont. I have tried installing JALBUM by my self, i think I blew up China in the process.

PLEASEEEE!!! i am desperate

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forums, Porky!

Bohatir,

You should check out the Image Gallery scripts provided by Fantastico. Gallery is included, as are Coppermine (what I use), and 4Images Gallery.

Each of these are one-click installs, and one-click uninstalls, so they are very easy to try out to see if you like them.

Just a thought.

• 8 months later...

I've never been able to add a photo album to my site cause I never understood how to do it, but I've been following the detailed instructions for downloading Gallery and was doing quite well until I got to a page on the Configuration script that's looking for a path to store my photos.

It says they recomend you store them in a directory that isn't accessible to the web.

It showed a Directory path and since I didn't know what they were talking about, I figured I'd just use what was typed in but the next page gave me error messages saying the directory didn't exist.

Now I need to figure out how to set up a directory to store my photos and I'm not sure if that was included in your directions.

Everything on the error page sounds Greek to me.

I hope it's ok to copy and paste what this storage page is telling me to do. If I shouldn't have copied it, I'm sorry and you can delete it.

Gallery needs a directory to store your images. The directory we chose for you will work, but its location or current name does not provide maximum security. Either select a new directory outside of the document root directory or add a random string to the end of the directory name (e.g. g2data_fd74f557db).

If someone could explain in simple form what I need to do, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Sheryl

This means you need to create a folder (g2) outside the public_html directory then when gallery setup asks for the path enter "/home/cpanelusername/g2" (without the quotes).

NOTE: Replace cpanelusername with yours and g2 can be what they tell you to or anything you want, just as long the name is the same as in the g2 part above.

This means you need to create a folder (g2) outside the public_html directory then when gallery setup asks for the path enter "/home/cpanelusername/g2" (without the quotes).

NOTE: Replace cpanelusername with yours and g2 can be what they tell you to or anything you want, just as long the name is the same as in the g2 part above.

I created a directory called g2 and typed the path like you showed me but now I have an error that says this is a read only.

Either I'm not understanding something or I'm doing something wrong.

Sheryl

I created a directory called g2 and typed the path like you showed me but now I have an error that says this is a read only.

Either I'm not understanding something or I'm doing something wrong.

Sheryl

That worked Bruce but now I'm stumped on the next page.

BTW, the instructions for setting up Gallery seem to be different from the actual steps. I wonder if the instructions need to be updated.

From the Configuration on, is entirely different from the instructions I'm trying to follow.

In any event, the next page is asking me set up a Data base.

Of course I don't know how to do that.

This is what it's looking for:

Database type: MySQL (all versions)

DB Hostname:

DB Username:

DB Password:

DB Name:

Table Prefix:

Column Prefix

More than likely the instructions are old. They are for version 1.x of Gallery and not 2.x

But these variables are the same for most scripts that use a database

DB Hostname: localhost

DB Username: your-cpanel-name_user-name-for-database

DB Password: password for database user

DB Name: your-cpanel-name_database-name

Table Prefix: default value

Column Prefix default value

Gallery2 Installation Instructions

Gallery2 can also be installed with Fantastico in cPanel.

I think this is getting way over my head.

If I understand your instructions, I'm suppose to put my cpanel name on 2 different lines?

The DB Username line and

DB Name?

I tried doing that and came up with another error saying they couldn't connect to the database information provided and another error message that said

localhost: Access denied for user 'My cpanel name'@'localhost' to database 'mycpanel name'

I've never set up a data base so maybe there was something else I had to do first?

Sheryl

I would recommend scrapping the installation and install it using Fantastico. There you only need to tell it what folder you want to put it in and set an administrative user and password. It will install and configure everything.

If you wish to proceed manually you need to create a database using the MySQL database function. You will also need to create a user to use with that database and add that user to the database.

If you named the database "gallery" and your cpanel name were "sheryl" your database config name would be "sheryl_gallery".

If you created a user named "sheryl" the database user name would be "sheryl_sheryl"

Thanks for your patience with me. As you can probably tell, I really have no clue what I'm doing so I'm lost unless everything is spelled out.

I did try doing a search after I posted my last question on databases and realized I needed to set one up using SQL. I still may do that because if I ever figure out how to install this photo album program, I'd also like to try and figure out how to install a message board.

It looks as if I need a database for that too.

I think I will scrap this and try installing it using Fantastico. Hopefully that will be easier but getting back to this database, I would like to understand how to set that up.

Is there a tutorial on it or can you answer a couple questions for me like,

1. In the case of setting up a photo album, do you suggest adding a different name then my cpanel name?

2.Would Current user and password be my cpanel name and password?

3.Do you suggest changing anything under priviledges?

4. And do I have to put something in the space for access host? If so, what would I put?

Sheryl

1. I don't use my cpanel login name for anything other than cpanel. If I create a database I create a user for the database.

2. No, you would create a user (example: user name you add is gallery, the name used in the configuration file will be your-cpanel-name_gallery)

3. Privileges should be ALL

4. No, you don't enter anything into access hosts.

Thanks for the link to the movie on setting up a database.

I decided to try it since I had gotten this far and really wanted to try and figure this all out.

Also, because to tell you the truth, I got confused with Fantastico and instead of asking what was probably a stupid question, I figured I'd see if I could finish what I started and I did, but now I'm stumped on how to configure ImageMagick which is the graphics module your tutorial recommended.

It says I have to install the ImageMagick binaries on my server, then enter the path in the box below.

The box starts off like this /usr/bin/ and I don't know if I'm suppose to keep that, change that, or add to it.

I also don't know how or where to install the ImageMagick binaries.

Would you be able to help me with this?

I just thought I'd tell you I have successfully installed the photo album.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Now I think I'll look into adding a message board.

Is there a tutorial for that too? I wasn't having much luck finding a tutorial but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

Sheryl