Does Server Location Matter?

laura_c

TCH have been hosting my web-site for some months now - and the service, reliability and Ts&Cs have been great. Any questions I ask get answered quickly; any issues are fixed almost before I can ask. I have no complaints.

Recently, it has been suggested to me that because most of my customers are in the UK, I am suffering lower page rankings and lower search engine position for keyword searches because TCH servers are all located in the USA. Can this be right? Do I really have to move away to another host to get better search result placings?

I thought the internet was more open than that and that the geographic location of the server was irrelevant?

Anyone have knowledge, thoughts or advice on this, please?

Thanks Bruce and Dick for your feedback. I have already used the Google Webmaster Tools and set the geographic location. However, we are still being advised by SEO organisations that being based on a US located server is detrimental to our search results position.

Whilst researching, I came across the following article which may be of interest to others:-

Making Geotargeted Content Findable For the Right Searchers

I am continuing to look into this, but it seems there may be some foundation to the location of servers being pertinent to search results.