How To Load A Large Mysql Database

Guest lorph

Guest lorph

Hello everyone.

CPanel and phpmyAdmin is limited by a maximum file size and/or execution time.

If you run into timeouts loading your db, here is what you can do.

Login to your CPanel.

Under "Access Hosts:" add your external ip address. http://whatismyip.com

Download mySQL Control Center and run it. (right now windows and linux only)

Connect to your domain with the program.

Now you can press the SQL button which lets you load sql files and run them into your database.

Hi lorph

Welcome to the Forum :)

Thanks for the info.

As an alternative, you can simply upload the mySQL file to the server using FTP, then open a ticket at the help desk, and ask us to load it into your database for you.

Welcome to the forums, lorph! :)

I've used the MySQL Control Center before, but switched to the MySQL Query Browser because of this note on the MySQL web site:

Development of MySQLGUI (MySQLCC) has been suspended. Our current development efforts are directed towards the development of MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser.

It looks like you can perform this task in MySQL Query Browser too: Click "File", "Open Script..." on the menu, open the .sql file, then click "Execute" on the toolbar. I never thought about doing a MySQL database import that way - pretty neat idea! :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Well people I tried this and I cannot get it to work. I am trying to connect to my database and administer it from my home machine but not having any success. I would also like to share the information I have on one site with another domain. How do I connect to the database of one domain to another. All my domains are hosted on TCH.

Thanks

Galleon Brinton

Galleon contacted me via IM about his problem. He was able to successfully connect to his database once he had the correct port (3306) and the correct database and username (cpanelName_database and cpanelName_username).

Welcome to the forums, Galleon! :flex:

I just downloaded MySQL Query Browser and I created a database in CPanel and added a user to it.

However, I am having trouble using MySQL Query Brower to connect to it. It asks for Server Host, Port, Username, and Password.

I am alittle confused what I need to put in the Server Host field and which Username and Password it is asking for (ie. database or CPanel???) :D

Hi dawheels,

Welcome to the forum :D

You will need to login to your cpanel first, and in the mysql section, allow access from remote hosts.

Then;

Sever host: your domain name

Port: 3306

Username: the username for your database, usually cpanelusername_user

Password: the password for the database

Hi dawheels,

Welcome to the forum :D

You will need to login to your cpanel first, and in the mysql section, allow access from remote hosts.

Then;

Sever host: your domain name

Port: 3306

Username: the username for your database, usually cpanelusername_user

Password: the password for the database

All i see under mySQl section is add database, user and host. Do I add host to allow access from remote hosts? or am I missing something?

• 8 months later...