Advanced Guestbook "spam"

ronwall

I'm getting these entries in my guestbook that appear to be complimentary but contain a link to a website whose URL ends in .co.uk - When you click on the "home" icon on the entry it always takes you to the same website regardless of URL (which is always different). The e-mail address given in the entry is always bogus. I have been getting other guestbook entries promoting medications and weight-loss products. Is there any way of stopping this? Is there anything that can be done to prevent these spam programs from finding my guestbook? Finally, are any of these entries dangerous?

I'm getting these entries in my guestbook that appear to be complimentary but contain a link to a website whose URL ends in .co.uk - When you click on the "home" icon on the entry it always takes you to the same website regardless of URL (which is always different). The e-mail address given in the entry is always bogus. I have been getting other guestbook entries promoting medications and weight-loss products. Is there any way of stopping this? Is there anything that can be done to prevent these spam programs from finding my guestbook? Finally, are any of these entries dangerous?

You might want to take alook at Link->Lazarus Guestbook It has the feature to moderate all regular and comment posts. Plus I believe 3 levels of spam protection.

Welcome to the forums.

Make sure you have the latest version of Advanced Guestbook installed and you may want to use a captcha when people leave comments.

Check out this post from TCH-Rob.

OK, gotcha - now, what the heck is a captcha?

Ron

Welcome to the forums, Ron! :thumbup1:

A captcha is used verify that a submission is actually coming from a real person instead of a bot (automated script). The captcha is an image containing text that a user must read and enter along with their submission in order for the submission to be accepted. Since bots (scripts) generally can't read the text in the image, this will usually foil them from spamming submissions.