User Space Squirrelmail Installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jonas73

jonas73
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:51 AM

it would be great to have a user space squirrelmail installation tutorial. i've searched the forums and there seems to have been a tutorial before but it was removed.

thanks,
jonas

#2 TweezerMan

TweezerMan

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:02 AM

Welcome to the forums, Jonas! :D

The tutorial you're referring to was removed as the user who created the tutorial is no longer hosted here, and while the instructions were good for some, they did not work for everyone.
David Phillips (TweezerMan)
The Tweezer's Edge v3

#3 TCH-Thomas

TCH-Thomas

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,164 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:09 AM

Welcome to the forum, Jonas. :D
Thomas Jikrantz
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.

Any links or suggestions for third party software/sites should be used at your own risk. My opinions and recommendations are not necessary those of TCH and TCH is not responsible.

As a Forum Moderator I can assist in answering many of your hosting related questions. However, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.
Web Hosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - 24/7 Help Desk

#4 jonas73

jonas73
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:19 PM

thanks for the welcome! i read that it was removed and that it didn't work that well for everyone. that's exactly why i'm hoping for a new improved one :-)

#5 TCH-Don

TCH-Don

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:12 PM

Welcome to the forums, Jonas :)

#6 TCH-Rob

TCH-Rob

Help Desk Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:35 PM

Welcome to the forums, Jonas

#7 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:37 PM

Welcome to the forum, Jonas :clapping:

Well, since nobody has stepped forward to write a new tutorial there is none to offer. Personally I wouldn't recommend installing it unless you intend to continually update it as updates become available.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#8 cajunman4life

cajunman4life

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:29 AM

I'm considering installing user-space squirrelmail (I have my reasons), and if I decide to do it, I will document how I went about it, what worked and what didn't, and then I'll post a tutorial. Note that I haven't fully decided yet if I'm going to do it or not. So something may come of this, and something may not.
Aaron J. Graves

#9 wolvesb

wolvesb

New To The Neighborhood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

I'm considering installing user-space squirrelmail (I have my reasons), and if I decide to do it, I will document how I went about it, what worked and what didn't, and then I'll post a tutorial. Note that I haven't fully decided yet if I'm going to do it or not. So something may come of this, and something may not.

Given the date, I guess this fell to the wayside.

Just to leave a signpost here - be very careful installing Squirrelmail in userspace.
From my understanding of PHP, you will be allowing anyone to access your address book, downloads, and potentially other information.

I sort-of worked around this with scgi-bin, but I'm still icked about it (and if I could get the server side one "fixed", I'd use that).

#10 cajunman4life

cajunman4life

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:12 PM

Given the date, I guess this fell to the wayside.

Just to leave a signpost here - be very careful installing Squirrelmail in userspace.
From my understanding of PHP, you will be allowing anyone to access your address book, downloads, and potentially other information.

I sort-of worked around this with scgi-bin, but I'm still icked about it (and if I could get the server side one "fixed", I'd use that).

You raise a very valid point that I did not think about prior to your mentioning it. A user-space Squirrelmail install may not be completely secure. I'll have to do some tinkering.
Aaron J. Graves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users