Adware Spreads Quickly On Aol Im

TCH-Dick

Adware spreading via AOL IM

A surreptitious program spreading Wednesday morning is turning AOL Instant Messenger users into advertising spammers.

The problem starts when users receive an instant message that appears to come from someone on their Buddy List (a list of friends and co-workers who also use the AOL Instant Messenger service). The message reads "check this out" and includes a link that contains a reference to "osama capture.php."

Thanks for the warning, Mike.

Just as a precaution for those that aren't sure... you can always reply to the sender and ask if they meant to send the suspect message. This is also good for those unexpected emails from friends and coworkers with attachments that are iffy... let the sender know your reason for caution and simply ask them to verify the validity of the email.

Read about it this morning and said oh boy, better warn the kids. Later in the day we got an email from security warning everyone and giving instructions for removal.

When my son got home from work I started to pull up the article about it for him to read and was partially explaining it...he goes, "oh, the Osama bin Laden game...its great!"

geesh

Took me a little while to actually get rid of it since the instructions didn't work exactly as described. Some of the files were still attached and could not be manually removed. But after a couple reboots and retries I got it I believe.